Menu

Calling all cyclists!

AlmiraGulch

I've been thinking about taking up road cycling and have decided to move forward.

I've researched bikes and equipment, local cycling clubs, and the basics of road cycling in general, but honestly, I'm pretty scared about it! I'm talking about road cycling, by the way.

My biggest hangups are traffic (I live in a heavy traffic area and there are few places to go to avoid it completely), and having my feet clipped into the pedal. The thought of being attached to the bike really freaks me out.

Other than that, I just hate being the beginner in a group! I plan to buy the bike and equipment and practice a bit to get comfortable on my own but then quickly move to group rides.

Any advice for a completely newbie about

1. Gear - don't want to spend a billion dollars up front but I certainly want the essentials and any extras that will drastically improve my experience

2. How to get over those fears (especially about the toe clips or clipless pedals)

3. Anything else you can think of that I should know

Thanks! I'm excited!

Any advice for a complete newbie about

1. Gear - don't want to spend a billion dollars up front but I certainly want the essentials and any extras that will drastically improve my experience

Riding gloves are a must. I didn't believe this until last week. Now I wish I had purchased the gloves two years ago when I began riding. You will save your self many, many hours of discomfort by wearing gloves. Good riding shorts or riding underwear. Again, these are a must for road riding. Those narrow seats can do a number on the nether regions, especially on longer rides. A well ventilated biking helmet. A biking computer to track speed and mileage.

2. How to get over those fears (especially about the toe clips or clipless pedals)

I can't help you here. The clips still cause anxiety for me. I am paranoid about hitting loose gravel or a groove in the road and not being able to get my feet out quickly enough. Despite my cycling group's encouragement, I still ride in tennis shoes (literally the same shoes I wear on the tennis court; so comfy).

It takes about 200 miles before I can be comfortable with or acclimate to a bike. From what I have been told, this is typical of most riders. Make sure you take more water than you think you will need. Use the gears. The first year I rode I found a gear that was moderately comfortable and just stuck with it. Now that I know how and when to change gears my rides are more enjoyable.

Thanks! I'm excited!

Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling!

Get fitted for your bike.

A carbon fork is nice. I love steel frames :)

Check out Team Estrogen forums :)

I love my speedplay frogs pedals. You need mountain bike shoes with this type of pedal, but they are MUCH easier to walk in than road shoes. To get out, rotate your heel out, and they are off the pedal. Quite easy to get used to.

First get used to the bike before adding clip less pedals. I got a used trek first and fell several times. I upgraded to an independent fabrication crown jewel which is my dream bike.

I'm a loner so can't help you with group rides.

Wear bright clothing!

Sunglasses are also needed in addition to bike shorts and gloves. A few jerseys are nice for pockets. I always need Kleenex.

For saddles, I love Brooks!

Have fun!

Road cycling is wonderful!

For your questions:

Decent shorts, a frame pump and a good helmet are a must. A brightly colored jersey would be wonderful, too. Glasses, gloves, double water bottle cages if you're in a hot climate, and cycling computer for entertainment are good to have. You must have a bag with tire levers and a spare tube and know how to change the tube. You will flat eventually. Add a patch kit and know how to use it if you have bad roads. (A nice bike is great, too, but the biggest thing you're going to get for more money is a lighter bike - how important that is is going to depend on where you live and what type of riding you plan to do.) Make sure you have the correct gearing if you're in a hilly area.

Practice! I fell over the first or second time I used clipless pedals and I don't think I ever did again in the next 10 years of using them. I wouldn't worry. Clipless pedals are easy to get out of once you know how to do it. I always used Speedplay and never had a problem. You will damage them if you do a lot of walking in them so take that into consideration when choosing pedals.

Be safe on the road and ALWAYS assume the car drive does not see you....because even if it seems obvious that they should, they may not. Be predictable when you ride - so don't zigzag in out out of lanes if they suddenly widen - it just confuses drivers and they may not expect you to come back out in the road when it narrows again. Also, don't skirt up the side of drivers if you hit a stop light so that they suddenly have to pass you again (unless you have a really wide road!). Multi-purpose paths are great, but can also be dangerous - walkers/runners/kids on bicycles are not necessarily going to look before moving in front of you. They are not the place to see just how fast you can go. :) It's not always safest to hug the shoulder - sometimes you need to ride more in the center to encourage a drive not to pass you.

Look up some cycling groups! Group rides can be fun, but please make sure the people you ride with don't act like fools. Pack cycling can bring out the idiot in people.

How could I possibly forget the most important item?!?

A u-shaped bike lock. The most expensive one you can afford. The Kryptonite locks are good.

Do not get the cable lock, either combo or keyed.

I rode in Chicago last weekend and one of my bikes was stolen from right in front of the security kiosk on Navy Pier. I had locked it up to the rack with a cable lock. The security cameras taped the thief stealing the bike. It took less than a minute to cut the cable and ride off. No one gave him a second glance.

I now own two Kryptonite locks and one less bike. :(

How could I possibly forget the most important item?!?

A u-shaped bike lock. The most expensive one you can afford. The Kryptonite locks are good.

Do not get the cable lock, either combo or keyed.

I rode in Chicago last weekend and one of my bikes was stolen from right in front of the security kiosk on Navy Pier. I had locked it up to the rack with a cable lock. The security cameras taped the thief stealing the bike. It took less than a minute to cut the cable and ride off. No one gave him a second glance.

I now own two Kryptonite locks and one less bike. :(

I "liked" your post, but not because your bike was stolen, obviously. How crappy!

I don't know where you live, but with this interest of yours, I know you would *love* to live where we live! There are *many* people here who are serious road cyclists, and bike stores, with knowledgeable staff, everywhere. This morning, when I was waiting to cross the highway, 2 men on a tandem bike went by. Frequently, we see large groups of cyclists here and they usually have at least one safety car behind them, with flashing lights on.

I would suggest that you look for a club that does the kind of riding that you are interested in doing and ask them for help, regarding what kind of bike, etc., you should purchase. For safety, Safety Orange is the best color for your clothes. The new motorcycles the Colombian National Police are buying are a Hot Green, which I assume is also good for Safety, but Orange would be the safest color.

I did fall on my bike, last year, when I was about to cross the highway, and I am only a city rider and didn't have toe clips. I went over on my left side and it hurt like .... when the frame of the bike came down on my knee, with all of my weight on it... Happily no injuries and no other accidents to report and I rode home... Not sure what happened, to cause me to fall over. I think the Eggs I had purchased all survived the accident...

The safety helmet is the most important thing you need (along with that Kryptonite Lock) and NHTSA has 1 or 2 videos, on their web site, about how to select a safety helmet and how to adjust it.

In the city, you do need to be aggressive and be in the same lane that you would be in if you were driving your car. i learned that I need to be in the left lane, when I am going to make a left turn, at the 4 way traffic signal and not be in the right lane and then make a left turn...

There is a huge blind spot behind any car, the length of the car. If you are in that space, it is impossible for the driver to see you in their mirrors, so stay at least one car length behind. This applies to bicycles and to motorcycles. This is known as "The Triangle of Death"

GL and be careful and have fun!