Menu

SOTW III and Texas history

javamoma

This year we will be continuing on in our history studies with SOTW III. I am already planning on adding a ton of American history to this spine. But for those of you who are from Texas, when did you add Texas history in? I noticed that the battle of the Alamo is covered towards the end of SOTW III but I could hardly fit Texas' rich history in one week. We will already have spent so much extra time on American history that I am thinking of saving the Alamo chapter and an extensive study of Texas history the following year as we start SOTW IV.

Any thoughts? What did you do that worked well?

Not sure what grade your DC are in, but this is the textbook TTUISD uses for 7th grade History. If you can wait a month or 2, my guess is there will be more Used textbooks available and that the prices will drop... One week for Texas history = NO WAY... This textbook is for 2 semesters. Texas and Texans, 2003, Glencoe, ISBN-10-0-07-823967-2 (The ISBN is 0-07-823967-2)

http://www.amazon.co...&tag=mozilla-20

I think Texas History is taught as a full year in both 4th and 7th. That may have changed, though.

For my rising 4th grader, I plan on working Texas History in to our history timeline this upcoming year. Instead of using SOTW3 as our main spine, I'm putting more of a focus on US History (using Guesthollow's American History 1 as a guideline). I am going to weave significant Texas history events/people into that timeline. It makes sense to me that while I would be discussing Native American tribes in North America that I would also discuss Caddo, Karankawa, Comanche, etc. in Texas. Rather than treat Texas history separately, I'd like to just fold it in.

I'm mainly using

- A Gentle Tour Through Texas History (which is meh.)

- Story of Texas (which I like)

- Let's Remember When.... series of books on Texas

- Texas Sampler

- Let's Learn About Texas Indians (free HERE)

- other library books & readers

I think Texas History is taught as a full year in both 4th and 7th. That may have changed, though.

For my rising 4th grader, I plan on working Texas History in to our history timeline this upcoming year. Instead of using SOTW3 as our main spine, I'm putting more of a focus on US History (using Guesthollow's American History 1 as a guideline). I am going to weave significant Texas history events/people into that timeline. It makes sense to me that while I would be discussing Native American tribes in North America that I would also discuss Caddo, Karankawa, Comanche, etc. in Texas. Rather than treat Texas history separately, I'd like to just fold it in.

I'm mainly using

- Texas Sampler

These are great resources! Thank you! DD will be in the third grade this year. And while I'm more worried about being chronologically correct than doing what the ISD does, I think it's reasonable to do TX history in 4th grade. That way I can spend more time on American history this year and then throw in all the native American stuff as well. I may go ahead and buy all the texts and as you said, "fold them in" as appropriate. But I think a small bit of TX history will fit in at the end of this year (SOTW III) but the majority will come into play next year.

I'm mainly using

- Texas Sampler

What is Texas Sampler? I found a variety of things on amazon.