Menu

Help me structure a Latin Course

These are my resources:

Wheelock's

Grote Study Guide for Wheelock's

Wheelock's Workbook

Scribblers, Scvlptors, and Scribes (Wheelock's)

38 Latin Stories

Cambridge Latin Unit 1 & 2.

And, whatever I can find online, free.

I am not a Latin expert (by any means). My oldest son took the class through Scholar's Online, but (a) didn't take it seriously at the beginning (B) didn't do most of the "suggested" work (just what was officially assigned), and now is struggling (he's pretty much mastered the vocabulary, but does not use it properly in translations). So, we need to backtrack. I can't put him into Latin 2, when he hasn't mastered Latin 1. He may wind up with a low C in the course.

I read online that one school using Wheelock's just does the vocabulary (basics) for year one, and then in year 2 focuses on *all* of the translations. VP the 38 Latin Stories, and Cambridge mixed in with the first half of Wheelock's... and Scholar's Online just went through the first 20 chapters doing *everything* (not every exercise, all the vocabulary, grammar, and translations).

*I cannot afford more Latin Books* We need to stick with what I have.

Also, I'm trying to get this together to start in about a week. No pressure ;)

Thanks.

We do an online class that uses Wheelock's. The general schedule is a chapter per week. There were a couple chapters where students did two weeks (first chapter, as they got their feet wet and maybe chapter 9, which was the first chapter after Christmas, in part to recover from the long break). Students are expected to master the vocab for the chapter (including principle parts of verbs, which are memorized and tested, even before they know how to apply each form in the principle parts. They do translations for the chapter. The pattern seems to be to do the numbered sentences for the chapter and then do the paragraph translation for the preceding chapter. It is a pretty fast pace, but is doable. There is a good set of Wheelock's online practice here. Over the break, some of the stories from 38 Stories were assigned, with the goal of one story translated each week.

I agree with Sebastian. Our online class did about half the book over one year and they did do translations, but not from the scribes book. They didn't use any add ons, but they did provide online quizzes each week which had some translation, so look at the workbook and the scribes book as your source for weekly quiz material in addition to exercises in the book itself and you should be set.

Wheelock alone is sufficient. There's a free teacher's manual floating around the web which is pretty easily found, as is very useful. A chapter a week, certainly doing translation, grammar and vocab is the right way to go -- don't skip the translations. BUT, you must be ruthless in ensuring that the memorization of not just vocab (in both directions), but also paradigms is happening every day. I would assign a quiz, at least every week, making him write down, from memory, all the paradigms that he should have learned by then. You don't need to know a lick of Latin to grade these, or assign these, and if he knows there are always coming, he should always be working on his memory work.

Okay, so I should have him copy down all of the tables, paradigms, and vocabulary (he knows most of this), and quiz him weekly over that...probably do some on-line exercises....Grote...the workbook...the exercises...(maybe every other one)...he likes the look of Cambridge, and he was assigned most of the SA's this past year...perhaps I should include sections of that, just for a change of pace. I noticed that there were translation quizlets at the Wheelock's link, too. Okay...as soon as I finish entering the Biology course, I think I have a good idea as to what I should do,,,it may take me forever and a day to get it into HST+, but it shall be done!

Okay, so I should have him copy down all of the tables, paradigms, and vocabulary (he knows most of this), and quiz him weekly over that...probably do some on-line exercises....Grote...the workbook...the exercises...(maybe every other one)...he likes the look of Cambridge, and he was assigned most of the SA's this past year...perhaps I should include sections of that, just for a change of pace. I noticed that there were translation quizlets at the Wheelock's link, too. Okay...as soon as I finish entering the Biology course, I think I have a good idea as to what I should do,,,it may take me forever and a day to get it into HST+, but it shall be done!

One of the many important things he can learn from studying Latin is to learn how to memorize. Different people memorize best in different ways. Some with flash cards, others with mnemonic devices, others with songs, chants etc. You may want to encourage him to experiment with different techniques for memorizing data. I guarantee it will pay off for him during college!

One of the many important things he can learn from studying Latin is to learn how to memorize. Different people memorize best in different ways. Some with flash cards, others with mnemonic devices, others with songs, chants etc. You may want to encourage him to experiment with different techniques for memorizing data. I guarantee it will pay off for him during college!

Oh, he has no issue with memorizing...he has successfully memorized the vocabulary, cases & endings (consistently scores high B's and A's on just the parts), it's USING the information he's having trouble with (the grammar aspect). That's where he's carrying the D-F. Although, to be fair, if he isn't paying attention (which he doesn't do with subjects he's not particularly enthralled with), he will still name an object of the preposition as the subject, simply because it's next to the verb...Of course, when I back him up and go through the 4-level analysis with him he realizes his error. He just isn't (or won't?) do that kind of analysis on his own.

Backing up with the grammar and essentially repeating Latin 1 over the summer (with his younger sister on-board), hopefully will have him translating appropriately. I still have my work cut out for me writing this all out. I figure they should be ready for Latin II in January/February...so hopefully he won't be too far behind, and maybe by then, I can afford to put him into a summer course for Latin II with VP (or something), and he can be ready for Latin III fall of 2014 (and then start a MODERN foreign language...sigh)