Menu

I found homeschool drafting curriculum!

Thought I would share our latest discovery.

We came across a vendor offering homeschool drafting and design courses at the FPEA convention last week. Dh had actually been talking about taking drafting class when he was in high school and how he thought our ds would enjoy learning drafting. Well, we looked at the booth called Murray's Technical Education, and it really looked interesting. Mr. Murray and his son were there at the booth answering questions and showing the drafting curriculum. Mr. Murray is an instructor at one of the neighboring county technical colleges, and offers his curriculum online as self paced courses that he personally grades and conferences with students via Skype if they need help.

Long story short, we signed up our ds and he started his first assignment this week. Ds is really excited to learn how to draw blueprints, floorplans, 3D designs, etc. So far so good.

In case anyone has an interested dc, here is MTE's website.

http://www.homeschoolingus.com/450-2/

I'll post an update in a few weeks time.

• Like 1

Thought I would share our latest discovery.

We came across a vendor offering homeschool drafting and design courses at the FPEA convention last week. Dh had actually been talking about taking drafting class when he was in high school and how he thought our ds would enjoy learning drafting. Well, we looked at the booth called Murray's Technical Education, and it really looked interesting. Mr. Murray and his son were there at the booth answering questions and showing the drafting curriculum. Mr. Murray is an instructor at one of the neighboring county technical colleges, and offers his curriculum online as self paced courses that he personally grades and conferences with students via Skype if they need help.

Long story short, we signed up our ds and he started his first assignment this week. Ds is really excited to learn how to draw blueprints, floorplans, 3D designs, etc. So far so good.

In case anyone has an interested dc, here is MTE's website.

http://www.homeschoolingus.com/450-2/

I'll post an update in a few weeks time.

Thank you for sharing this and yes, please update as your son gets further into this. My son has been working through the manual drafting books that Karen linked above, but would also like to learn AutoCAD. Did Mr. Murray give any indication of how long each module would take to master or how much time you should expect your son to work on this program each day? How are the materials accessed? Are they downloaded or are they online? What type of internet connection is needed (ours is very variable)?

Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this and yes, please update as your son gets further into this. My son has been working through the manual drafting books that Karen linked above, but would also like to learn AutoCAD. Did Mr. Murray give any indication of how long each module would take to master or how much time you should expect your son to work on this program each day? How are the materials accessed? Are they downloaded or are they online? What type of internet connection is needed (ours is very variable)?

Thanks!

Ok, so far as I can see, Mr. Murray offers 3 courses. The first drafting course is a pre-req for either of the other two more advanced classes. We signed up for this initial drafting course.

This course has 18 modules to complete. Ds is working on module 1 right now, and it has 3 lessons in it. Ds does a lesson, turns it in, Mr. Murray corrects it, and ds must apply corrections to it before ds is allowed to continue onto the next lesson. I like this because ds will have to correct his mistakes as he goes along before tackling the more complicated stuff later on.

So far, the first module has not taken very long do to, but it is still early on. The assignment is downloaded off Schoology, as is a free version of Autocad, which you login into. So I guess you would need at least decent internet? That is about the limit of my technical knowledge. We haven't had any issues though.

Personally, we are doing 2 lessons per week. I figure this class should take us about a year to finish, which is fine with us. For ds, slow and steady works best.

HTH

Lavender

This looks great and I love how you have described the marking and corrections. I will be bookmarking that site for dd for when we get to it (just checked alberta education and there is provincial credits for drafting so she is looking forward to it, but next year is too full for her already)

Ok, so far as I can see, Mr. Murray offers 3 courses. The first drafting course is a pre-req for either of the other two more advanced classes. We signed up for this initial drafting course.

This course has 18 modules to complete. Ds is working on module 1 right now, and it has 3 lessons in it. Ds does a lesson, turns it in, Mr. Murray corrects it, and ds must apply corrections to it before ds is allowed to continue onto the next lesson. I like this because ds will have to correct his mistakes as he goes along before tackling the more complicated stuff later on.

So far, the first module has not taken very long do to, but it is still early on. The assignment is downloaded off Schoology, as is a free version of Autocad, which you login into. So I guess you would need at least decent internet? That is about the limit of my technical knowledge. We haven't had any issues though.

Personally, we are doing 2 lessons per week. I figure this class should take us about a year to finish, which is fine with us. For ds, slow and steady works best.

HTH

Lavender

Thank you Lavender! It sounds like time-wise it might be doable for ds this next year. I'm going to email them to ask a bit more about the internet issues.

Wow, I just emailed Mr. Murray and got an almost immediate, and very helpful, reply. I just wanted to give a plug for the great customer service. I think we are going to be able to make the class work for ds, and I’ll be signing him up to start after our summer break.

Again, thank you Lavender for posting about this. My ds is very excited and we never would have known about it otherwise.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Hi Everyone!!!
Just to let you know Murray's Technical Education is still going strong and gearing students towards an Engineering career!  This is our 10th year and we have reached out to many students worldwide teaching Mechanical, Architectural, 3D Modeling and our newest class "Laser Cutting Design!"

We have added a prerequisite introductory course for only $99 that will give students a chance to see what its all about. The Intro course includes CAD commands along with the basic fundamentals of design, which will prepare them for the other 4 courses.  Check out our website! 
www.HomeSchoolingUs.com

Happy Holidays!
Mike & Mary Murray