Menu

Our turn for storm damage...

Jann in TX

DH and I woke up at 4:30am to a severe thunderstorm. We must have had some sort of circulation (VERY unusual for where we live) because a shingles were blown off of the SW side of the house and ended up 25 yds NE of the house-- three 100+ year old red oak trees were uprooted (made me ill to see them that way)-- they were all blown SOUTH-- same side of house as the roof damage. One tree to the north of the house (50 yds from the other 3) was blown NORTH Lots of other elm and oak trees lost huge limbs... we will have fire wood for years!

Our college age dd came to help this afternoon-- as I'm no help due to my bad back and injured hand (still in a splint). Oldest dd will come over tomorrow afternoon after work and help. I think we will end up hiring some day workers to help clean up the downed branchs and separate the remains into fire wood and future wood chips. (I was needing some mulch anyways!).

I will miss the fall colors from those trees...

With my recent fall (wrist/hand injury) and now the property damage it looks like I will have a fantastic trip beginning next week... last time I went to Africa the airconditioning unit went out...

Good news is that we do not have rain in the forcast this week-- time to get the roof repaired!

Be grateful none of them landed ON your house. After living through that I want every large tree OFF my property. This would cost about $10k. See how much money that storm saved you!

If you're not consoled, I'll GIVE you my trees :-)

Thanks for the perspective... we had 2 huge limbs land within inches of the house...

I'll take your trees-- although we still have 100's more (12 acres heavily wooded)-- the trees that fell were the primary reason we chose our building site!

• 2 months later...
Guest rowlandjames

Good to hear that nobody was hurt. You should have called your public adjuster who would file a claim with your insurance company and pay for our damaged roof. To know more about public adjusters go here.

Thanks for the perspective... we had 2 huge limbs land within inches of the house...

I'll take your trees-- although we still have 100's more (12 acres heavily wooded)-- the trees that fell were the primary reason we chose our building site!

That bolded part sucks! I'm sorry to hear that.

ETA: I'm glad you have lots more trees where those came from, though!