Menu

New Book... Dumbest Generation

An interesting and controversial new book, highly researched, which describes the young generation and their overuse of technology, along with its consequences. Here are some reviews of the book.

http://www.dumbestgeneration.com/reviews.html

Here's a link to a You Tube - a Vision of Students Today (U. KY)

Makes me a bit happier to put up with my day-to-day, if I can help my children understand more than facebook, American Idol, and read more than 8 books a year!

After living and observing life for a little over five decades, I have concluded that apparently ingrained in human nature is the inclination for the older generations to view the younger generations as leading us into moral and intellectual decline.

I take exception to the author's premise of the role internet plays in dumbing us down. After one has learned how to distinguish the junk from the trustworthy sources, one can instantly find information on almost any topic along with a list of resources for further research. Thanks to reading the net's well-written message boards, my writing skills have improved somewhat over their former primitive choppy level. Further, I have briefly read about numerous topics of only mild interest because the information was immediately on hand and did not require a trip to library.

I don't have time for a long discussion now, but the pace of technology concerns me. I'm not talking about computers that crunch data, but I'm talking about how technology affects our communication with others as well as our thinking skills. One item I remember in the book was the author explaining how most kids do their research and papers on line, reading unrelated and sometimes unsubstantiated info, bascially copying it, then regurgitating it. He talked how this is not real learning but more an exercise in technology.

I did my MA in the early 1990s, just when computer information was getting big. I remember going on ERIC (a database) for papers which I would download and print out. Then I would examine these theses, using my highlighter and notes, really thinking about the information, before putting it all together for my papers. It seems so "old fashioned" now, but I still think much more introspective.

I once heard the author of John Adams, David McCullough, on PBS being interviewed. The interviewer asked what type of laptop he used and he said that he used an old, manual typewriter. He said that before he writes, he needs to think deeply and a computer would not allow him to do that since it's so fast.

Interesting book you mentioned!

jeri

One thing that I see happening more and more is the lack of real interaction between young people. Yes, they are in touch all day long thanks to IM and texting and Facebook, but when they are together in real life...well, all my son's friends want to do is play video games.

The mutual staring of a screen means they are not looking each other in the eye and discussing the meaning of life stuff that young people used to muse about at length.

The mutual staring of a screen means they are not looking each other in the eye and discussing the meaning of life stuff that young people used to muse about at length.

My son just had a friend over last night. He has certain times that he can do certain things -- limits on computer time and video games -- but I guess he was hoping those limits wouldn't apply since his friend was here. "Our life doesn't revolve around him!" says I. After the usual "but we're bored and have nothing to do" they spent the rest of the evening outside, wrestling with the dog (now, that one went on too long :lol:), drawing, talking -- just generally hanging out.

I don't know how I managed to keep from making some kind of snarky comment about how they actually did manage to find something to do. :D

My son just had a friend over last night. He has certain times that he can do certain things -- limits on computer time and video games -- but I guess he was hoping those limits wouldn't apply since his friend was here. "Our life doesn't revolve around him!" says I. After the usual "but we're bored and have nothing to do" they spent the rest of the evening outside, wrestling with the dog (now, that one went on too long :lol:), drawing, talking -- just generally hanging out.

I don't know how I managed to keep from making some kind of snarky comment about how they actually did manage to find something to do. :D

Atta girl, mom!

Sigh...I often can't *quite* refrain from pointing out how much fun ds and the friends have when they aren't staring at a video game together.

Atta girl, mom!

Sigh...I often can't *quite* refrain from pointing out how much fun ds and the friends have when they aren't staring at a video game together.

My tongue is still sore from all the biting, but the bleeding didn't last long. :lol:

After living and observing life for a little over five decades, I have concluded that apparently ingrained in human nature is the inclination for the older generations to view the younger generations as leading us into moral and intellectual decline.

I take exception to the author's premise of the role internet plays in dumbing us down. After one has learned how to distinguish the junk from the trustworthy sources, one can instantly find information on almost any topic along with a list of resources for further research. Thanks to reading the net's well-written message boards, my writing skills have improved somewhat over their former primitive choppy level. Further, I have briefly read about numerous topics of only mild interest because the information was immediately on hand and did not require a trip to library.

I completely agree with tibbyl. Even in ancient times, the older generations were moaning about the younger. And I'm sure that our "dumbest generation" kids will be moaning about how dumb THEIR kids are in twenty years or so.

I'm also curious as to which generation has been so much smarter than any other? My guess is, the author of the article would consider HIS generation to fit that title. Just like every generation that has gone before.

Michelle T

One item I remember in the book was the author explaining how most kids do their research and papers on line, reading unrelated and sometimes unsubstantiated info, bascially copying it, then regurgitating it. He talked how this is not real learning but more an exercise in technology.

ITA with that. And it happens a LOT.

Here's a quote from my blog:

"...it reminds me of a problem that occurred when webquests became popular public school tools. They were intended to be open-ended, critical thinking activities that gave students the opportunity to do web research and learn to distinguish quality sources of information from poor ones. However, many, many webquests end up being glorified worksheets. Here are two off-the-cuff examples:

"Plants require nourishment. However, they do not have mouths. How do you suppose they get what they need? Make a list of your guesses. Then, follow the links below and explore them."

These might include links on why one should wash the leaves of houseplants periodically, an article on crop rotation and cover cropping, microscopic close ups and labeled cross-sections of plants, and a thread on a gardening forum in which members discuss raising seedlings in the basement under grow lights vs. raising them in greenhouses. Some sort of graphic organizer might exist on their paper or in a word or powerpoint program in order to assist them with their thought process or data entry. Students would then revisit their original conjectures, reassess, and perhaps write up their theories in a short summary, including details from their exploration to back up their point of view. This would serve as a jumping off point for experiments in the classroom, or perhaps a presentation by a local farmer or botanist.

On the other hand, here's a fairly typical webquest question:

"What is the process by which plants produce their own food? Click this link to find out and write the definition below.""

One activity stimulates thinking and research skills, and engages the learner in current events. The other does not.