Menu

Organ donation -- please make your wishes known

unsinkable

I have personal reasons that organ donation is heavy on my mind right now but this story is in the news:

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/Philly_familys_fight_over_lung-donor_rule_gets_national_attention.html

This girl needs a direct donation to save her life.

I know this is a highly personal decision based on many factors, but please let your family know your thoughts and if you do decide to be a donor, take the appropriate steps to ensure that will happen.

Check regulations for your own state (or province or country) but here is NY

New York State donation registration:

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/mydmv/organ-pop.htm

Yes, tell everyone about your wishes. That little box on your driver's lisence doesn't mean much.

If you are truly commited, write it up on a card, get two witnesses to sign it, and keep that in your wallet. When I was active in the field, we had cards premade for this purpose.

My best friend in college died while on the list. Their were two separate matches, but on both the families could not be found in time to consent. Those boxes on the driver's lisence are not enough to constitute consent, immediate family has to consent as well without a witnessed document.

That little box on your driver's lisence doesn't mean much. . .

Those boxes on the driver's lisence are not enough to constitute consent, immediate family has to consent as well without a witnessed document.

Not true here.

When my mom passed away I received a phone call within a couple of hours not asking permission, but telling me what was being taken and how long it would delay her body being released to the funeral home (only her eyes were usable, and those for medical training/research). And it was because she'd indicated her desire to be an organ donor on her driver's license. She wasn't capable of telling hospital personnel when she arrived there, and neither my brother nor I had been asked to give consent.

State laws vary, of course. I recommend that everyone check their own state's laws. Even a witnessed document isn't a guarantee, as some states also require notarization for these sort of things.

(Just for the record, I was absolutely fine with it and glad there was something that could be of use.)

I really don't believe there is a good reason not to donate.

I've told my family that I will be donating their organs if they were to die whether they want me to or not as the organs are of no use to them once they are dead but can certainly save the life of someone else.

Not true here.

When my mom passed away I received a phone call within a couple of hours not asking permission, but telling me what was being taken and how long it would delay her body being released to the funeral home (only her eyes were usable, and those for medical training/research). And it was because she'd indicated her desire to be an organ donor on her driver's license. She wasn't capable of telling hospital personnel when she arrived there, and neither my brother nor I had been asked to give consent.

State laws vary, of course. I recommend that everyone check their own state's laws. Even a witnessed document isn't a guarantee, as some states also require notarization for these sort of things.

(Just for the record, I was absolutely fine with it and glad there was something that could be of use.)

I'm sorry about your mom. How wonderful that she was a donor.

(((Pawz)))

I've told my family that I will be donating their organs if they were to die whether they want me to or not as the organs are of no use to them once they are dead but can certainly save the life of someone else.

I am not hear to speak for anyone but some religions and cultures do not donate or are hesitant to donate.

I think we need to take where they are at with their decisions but if they are open to learning more about donation then help them learn.

while I support organ transplants, and have acquaintences who are alive because of one, some of the agencies harvesting organs are unscrupulous. we had one here make news locally that they were SELLING organs from donors on the drivers license database to researchers, (re: money for harvesting agencies). no lives were saved, no lives were made better by the donors gift. the families knew where the ograns were going -and couldn't stop it and demand they ONLY be used for transplant. I am just one of a great many in my state that had their name taken off the organ donation data base associated with driver's licenses because of that travesty.

I agree that you need to check your state's laws. My state specifically states in the law that consent is given only for life-saving or enhancing transplant. So selling them for research would not be a worry. My state law also specifically states that family consent is not needed if an adult has given permission to be an organ or tissue donor at death. Driver's license donor designations are legally recognized as official consent in my state. But then law also says that the hospital is required to ask next of kin if the person is an organ donor. I don't know what happens if they lie and say they aren't when they are. . . So I would think the lesson here is to make sure your next of kin know your wishes.

while I support organ transplants, and have acquaintences who are alive because of one, some of the agencies harvesting organs are unscrupulous. we had one here make news locally that they were SELLING organs from donors on the drivers license database to researchers, (re: money for harvesting agencies). no lives were saved, no lives were made better by the donors gift. the families knew where the ograns were going -and couldn't stop it and demand they ONLY be used for transplant. I am just one of a great many in my state that had their name taken off the organ donation data base associated with driver's licenses because of that travesty.

I'm not sure what happened in the situation you are talking about but it is illegal to sell organs. So the organization was breaking the law and hopefully, since you heard about it on the news, they were stopped and punished.

I was able to see my daughter's smile and my son opening gifts at their birthday party today because last December a family made a choice to donate. I am the recepient of corneal donation and I am forever grateful.

When I die, I hope they take everything that they can.

Guest inoubliable

Not the dreaded organ stealing conspiracies again. For the love of Pete, organ donation saves lives. Nobody is out to steal your kidneys and give you an untimely demise to do so.

Uh... haven't you watched Law&Order??

I kid!

Seriously, though. Organ donors here! We have the cards in our wallets and we registered with the state of VA. (www.donatelifeva.org) It's also written up in our advance directives and those are registered with the state of VA, too. (virginiaregistry.org) My DH once came very very close to being a donor of everything he had, and then when he pulled through there was the possibility that he would *need* a donor. In the end, he was neither donor nor recipient, but we did all that we could right afterwards to make sure that should that situation ever come up again for either of us that there was no question about our wishes.

Although the companies that harvest the organs and tissue are supposed to be non-profit, they pay their executives a huge salary (like half a million.) The problem comes after the tissue is harvested. The tissue market is full of profiteering. Once it leave the non-profit, it can be treated and then sold. Most of the tissue harvesting has nothing to do with saving lives. I put in my Health Care POA that I only want to donate organs for transplant purposes only and no tissue donation.

Check with your local hospital for some forms you can fill out and have placed in your chart outlining your wishes. If you've ever been to your hospital as a patient (even in the ER) you'll have a file. We have people come in almost daily who just want their advanced directives added to their records. If the hospital doesn't have it's own forms, draw some up yourself. They don't have to be notarized; just signed, dated and witnessed. Keep your original papers in a safe place and make sure your family knows where they are just in case you happen to pass away away from home. Do check your state's laws on advanced directives, but I know in my state, you don't need an attorney to draw up a living will, power of attorney papers, or a do-not-resuscitate form.

Great thread. I am designated an organ donor on my drivers license but I never read what the state of NH meant by it until this thread got me thinking. I always thought when they said organ donor they meant that my organs would be used to benefit an individual in need directly. I didn't realize it also included that my organs could go to a university, hospital, etc. for research. I have to do some thinking about this new development. I still would want to donate my organs to help make someones life better. My Mom had a cornea transplant and would have lost most of her sight by now without it. I will be forever grateful to the individual who gave her her sight back.

I do think well of people who choose to donate their organs. There can be excellent reasons, however, for which people, after careful reflection, decide not to be donors. I won't elaborate because I sense that this could become a contentious thread, and there would be no need for acrimony.

This thread reminded me of something funny I posted on FB a month or so ago. I thought I would share:

<<Early this morning after his skating lesson, Ben(12) and I were waiting in the car for Jake to finish an appointment when Ben dramatically flung himself back over the car seat and drifted toward the floor, moaning that he was dying (he has a cold).

I asked what I was supposed to do with the body after he was gone.

He said, "Oh, just get rid of it any way you want to....Just make me an organ donor first!"

Gotta love this kid>>

I had a certain type of cancer (that involved blood vessels) and due to that I cannot donate my organs when I die. :( It's really a bummer - a heart donation saved the life of one of my friend's little girl's life.

I am also a cancer survivor. Mine involved my lymphatic system and has a large chance of developing a second cancer or recurring years down the road. I am not an organ donor. However, we are grateful for those that can make that choice as my dad has received two corneal transplants.

This is a personal issue for me as well. My brother died three years ago, he had made his wishes known and was able to donate organs. The woman that came to the hospital to talk to us about donation was wonderful and helped us through a very tough experience. When I received a letter many months later stating that his organs had helped and/or saved several people it was an overwhelming but healing thing to know.

Organ donation doesn't just help the people who recieve the organs.

I do think well of people who choose to donate their organs. There can be excellent reasons, however, for which people, after careful reflection, decide not to be donors. I won't elaborate because I sense that this could become a contentious thread, and there would be no need for acrimony.

:iagree: I have given it much thought over a long period of time, and I am not on the organ donating list.

I am on the list--but I will check to make it more official.

My brother has CF and received a double lung transplant 13 years ago. He and his wife were able to adopt two little boys, and his quality of life is astoundingly different. I will forever bless the family of the person who gave him his new lungs.

I am on the list despite having health problems. I figure that they will check my body for those parts that can still benefit others. They do a lot of screening, right?

I've always wondered how this pans out. We were all set to donate my dad's organs and at the last minute one of us remembered he had hepatitis as a teen. The lady said she was so thankful one of us remembered. We were unable to donate his. We could have donated other things but when that conversation started it became too overwhelming.

Thank you for the reminder. As a living organ donor (donated a kidney to my sister in 2000), this is close to my heart. The most important thing, IMO, is to make sure your spouse/family is explicitly aware of your feelings on the matter. Regardless of a sticker on your license or your name on a registry, your next of kin still makes the decision for you regarding donation in case of your death. At least that was the case last I was aware, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest inoubliable

I am on the list despite having health problems. I figure that they will check my body for those parts that can still benefit others. They do a lot of screening, right?

You may want to check with your family doctor to see if you should be on the list. Some health issues mean your donation may be unusable.

Regardless of a sticker on your license or your name on a registry, your next of kin still makes the decision for you regarding donation in case of your death. At least that was the case last I was aware, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As I stated earlier in the thread, that was not the case with my mom. Her eyes (the only thing they could use) were taken based on her having designated on her driver's license her desire to be an organ donor. I was informed after the fact that her eyes had been taken. Neither I nor my brother were asked about it in advance.

Yes. When Gift of Hope or Lyon's Eye Bank comes in for records on a decedent, they require all lab work, all intake/output notes, all medications given, vitals, all nurses notes, transfusion notes, basically anything that has come into contact with that patient up to a week before they passed (or during their hospitalization, depending on how long they were there before they died. They are VERY thorough.