Menu

Can anyone help me identify this science kit/curriculum that was at FPEA this year?

ByGrace3

I visited this booth that was science kits and had links and a curriculum based on the kit. Each kit lasted 12 weeks and I think was around $99. I really liked it and would like to file the information for 2014-2015 planning. :lol:

Anyone have any idea what the name of this mystery curriculum is? :)

:lol:

But dang, I should have gone to FPEA and we could have enabled each other!!! :p

Did you try checking the map? That has helped me in the past....

so true! Though I don't think I needed to be enabled....I did just fine on my own. :lol:

i couldn't find the map. I bet I could find it if i did as I remember where they were in the vendor hall. :lol:

They used to publish the booklet online, now the pages seems to be a MESS. I see there is an app - so maybe it is on there?

http://fpeaevents.co...ited-exhibitors

But there is a list of vendors. Find the ones that were on the outside this year and see what their number was, then each one is an aisle. Like, BJU is 124, they should have been on the far right side then go towards the left. I *think* the ones behind them would be 200, and then then across the aisle would be 200. BUT, that could be wrong and each row of curtains could be 100 - just back to back.

Dude, you need the map :p

Wait, here it is: http://www.fpeaevents.com/sites/fpeaevents.com/files/event/file_attachment/FPEA2013ConventionProgram.pdf

Because, "Digital Convention Program" made me think that is what it was.... wrong, I was thinking, COOL, they did some stuff online??? LOL!

Aww, c'mon guys, I don't need another science to look at! Well, they're kind of expensive if it's just 12 weeks' worth.

It's true. It's expensive. That's why I didn't go for it this year. I didn't budget for it. But truthfully I am desperate for good science that happens and so I plan to budget for this next year. Ad these look really fun. ;) I plan to do two kits--24 weeks and just supplement them with DVDs and books to make it a year. We realize this is for next next year right? I have a sickness. :lol:

What kind of explanation was included, as far as teaching on the topics, or is it just experiments with little info included, so I'd need to get books on the topics?

Very good question. I did not look at what was included, but the guy at the booth told me it was a full curriculum. It included lessons, lesson plans and Internet links to further pursue each topic. He definitely made it seem like each kit was a completely independent unit of study.

These look awesome! I was all set to go with NOEO Biology 2 for next year. Hmmm...I wonder if I can get a few of these kits, the Life Science ones, to add to NOEO. The Food Science would be a huge hit with my dd. I hate waiting...but I may add that to NOEO Chem the following year. For this coming year with Biology I could get Human Body, Seeds, and maybe Ecology. Junior Naturalist looks a little bit too pricey for the few things you get. And, I don't think I can handle the Dissection one. I can see getting several kits each year to go with each of the NOEO 2 Biology, Chem, and Physics for the next 3 years! This is exciting!

Is there a coupon code or something to get the free shipping....or did you have to go to the convention?

I was able to create an account on the site and see the lesson plans. Didn't seem like a full curriculum as far as teacher plans. I'd need to add in more details, ie books, and for that price...ehhh.

Hmmm I will have to try to look at some samples. It seemed like there was a good bit to it, but he was trying to sell a product. ;) I don't really mind adding a spine or two though as long as there is something substantial to work with.

It's been several years since we used it, but we used the astronomy kit in addition to our studies. We used encyclopedias and living books and added the kit to what we were already doing.

I guess I am curious what sets these kits apart from those that are half the price?

I guess I am curious what sets these kits apart from those that are half the price?

Yeah....I guess I'm wondering that now too. I was all excited about them. Buuutt....Science in a Nutshell kits are around $45 each.

Hmmm....what to do....... :001_unsure:

I met & spoke with the creator at a convention, and really liked the product. For me it was a no-brainer since it included a year subscription to Discovery Science.

I don't see any reference to a Discovery Science subscription in any of their descriptions. Do you happen to know if all of the 12 weeks kits include one? If so, I'm sold!

I don't see any reference to a Discovery Science subscription in any of their descriptions. Do you happen to know if all of the 12 weeks kits include one? If so, I'm sold!

I read about that in reviews from several years ago. I don't know if they are still doing that or not. I'm going to shoot them an e-mail right now and ask. I'll report back when/if they answer (unless someone else answers before me).

Yeah....I guess I'm wondering that now too. I was all excited about them. Buuutt....Science in a Nutshell kits are around $45 each.

Ok so after thinking about it some/- real difference? This is 12 weeks of hands on experiments and projects with lesson plans. Super easy to add the Internet linked Usborne science encyclopedia or another like it to flesh topics out alongside the links provided.

I am definitely thinking towards this route next year.

Like I said, it has been several years since we purchased and used the ASK kits, so perhaps they no longer offer the Discovery Science, but that was a nice perk!

Hope they are still offering it. :)

I've got the Nutshell kits too. They are excellent imho. The journals make it all "open and go" leaving room for various living books in the schedule (and I can find what I find at library or used)...and the kits come with 3 journals and I have 3 students. Perfect.

Not.Clicking.Link. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I read about that in reviews from several years ago. I don't know if they are still doing that or not. I'm going to shoot them an e-mail right now and ask. I'll report back when/if they answer (unless someone else answers before me).

In case anyone is still interested in knowing....I got a reply back today and they said they no longer offer Discovery Education with their science kits.

I still think they look really great....but I'd really want 3 of them for this year and that's over my budget. I have no idea how much shipping would be and I asked them that too. The only way to find out is to actually checkout. She said if I wasn't happy with that price they'd refund my money. I don't want to do that. Maybe next year when we do NOEO chem we'll get the Food Science one....dd really wants that one.

In case anyone is still interested in knowing....I got a reply back today and they said they no longer offer Discovery Education with their science kits.

I still think they look really great....but I'd really want 3 of them for this year and that's over my budget. I have no idea how much shipping would be and I asked them that too. The only way to find out is to actually checkout. She said if I wasn't happy with that price they'd refund my money. I don't want to do that. Maybe next year when we do NOEO chem we'll get the Food Science one....dd really wants that one.

Bummer in the Discovery Education. I have this on the shelf in my brain for 2014-2015 school year :lol: I a thinking 2 chemistry kits alongside Ellen McHenry's Elements and ES chemistry lapbook should make a full year.