Menu

Planning for 1st grade- feedback?

I'm planning my daughters 1st grade year and I would love some feedback. Am I missing something? Am I planning on doing too much?

Bible- Telling God’s Story 1

Phonics- Continuing Ordinary Parent’s Guide to Teaching Reading

Bob Books

Grammar- First Language Lessons

Spelling- Spelling Workout A

Writing- Writing With Ease 1

Handwriting- Printing with Pictures

Science- Elemental Science grammar stage Biology

History- Story of the World 1

Art- Artistic Pursuits 2

Math- Math Mammoth Grade 1

Life of Fred

Latin- Song School Latin

Logic- Lollipop Logic 2

I am doing almost the same thing with my 1st grader, except I am not doing Latin or Logic yet! (We just started our school year 4 weeks ago.) Even so I am finding it to be a heavy load. Mostly for me - keeping it planned and organized, moving her through her schoolwork during the day, etc. We are adding in as many of the supplemental readings and projects from SOTW as we can. I have found that using WWE + FLL + OPGTR at the same time, it can get a little redundant. Like, some days she might have copywork from multiple sources. When that happens I am just paring down, picking one, maybe skipping a lesson in another. Spelling Workout A starts off as a mesh between handwriting review and an Explode the Code workbook, so we've skipped some in there as well.

All in all though, things are going pretty smoothly. No regrets yet. :-) I'd love to know how it all works out for you!

Is this the official First Grade thread now? Or do you want to launch one for us? I would be happy. :)

In re: your question - Whether it's too much or not depends on how much of each you're doing each week. I'm planning to use far more subjects and materials/curriculum than that, but most will be small parts of the larger mosaic.

Yours is similar to our (almost completed) 1st grade year. I will say that it is doable if you don't have any hangers-on. I ended up dropping TGS completely, Art was done very sporadically, and Logic was done 2-3x per week. But then my two are incredibly "mommy all the time" kinds of kids.

It looks like you have everything covered! I would suggest starting with just a few subjects for a week or two then add in a few more things, and then a few more, etc until you either are doing your full list or you can't fit anymore in. Depending on your 2yo, I think that will probably be your limiting factor. How does he do now while you teach your 5yo?

It looks like you have everything covered! I would suggest starting with just a few subjects for a week or two then add in a few more things, and then a few more, etc until you either are doing your full list or you can't fit anymore in. Depending on your 2yo, I think that will probably be your limiting factor. How does he do now while you teach your 5yo?

We do school while he naps in the morning. The only times we've tried doing it while he was awake ended in disaster.

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! It's much appreciated!!

Adding...this is what we did. We didn't start all of the subjects at the beginning of the school year. We started with what I considered core, then added things in as they worked (this is part of the reason some of the subjects fell to the wayside).

Looks really similar to what I'm doing with my first grader this fall (listed in my sig)

Just wanted to put in my 0.02: We (ds and I) found Bob books really, *really* boring. I would literally be trying not to doze off lol. I see you're using them for your K year, so maybe it's not an issue in your family but we both really, *really* enjoyed the readers from All About Reading. They're expensive but so worth it if you find your dd isn't liking the Bob Books (or reading in general). I'm actually switching to All About Reading 2 just to see if we enjoy the whole program as much as the readers.

Love your screen name (although looking at your selections, I'd say it's not true). And love your plans! It looks similar to what I'll be doing with my 1st grader next year.

For me, 1st grade "core" is (in the order you listed them) Bible, phonics (including independent reading and read alouds), handwriting, and math, followed VERY closely by grammar, spelling, and writing (in that order). Then history and science. Then "the other stuff" (art, music, Latin, logic, etc.).