Menu

Keep or toss?

Our basement and garage flooded with the torrential rains we have experienced this week. During the clean up process I have had to empty a trunk full of my old keepsake papers which included a bunch of papers my mom gave me. She no longer wanted them at her house and gave them to me.

Amongst the papers are report cards from Kindergarten all the way through grad school. There are many, many other things as well. As I have been sorting through them I have found a pattern of emotion, everything makes me sad. I don't want to look at this carp anymore but will I regret throwing it all out?

--

Much longer post deleted

I will share this one thing because it makes me feel like I have been kicked in the gut.

I found a report from when I was 4 years old. My parents were petitioning to have me placed in Kindergarten early. The psychologist wrote "although [child] exhibits above average intelligence, she is severely insecure, cause unknown, and should be monitored; possible case for retention". It's great to know my insecurity isn't a figment of my imagination but something that has been around for my entire life.

Our basement and garage flooded with the torrential rains we have experienced this week. During the clean up process I have had to empty a trunk full of my old keepsake papers which included a bunch of papers my mom gave me. She no longer wanted them at her house and gave them to me.

Amongst the papers are report cards from Kindergarten all the way through grad school. There are many, many other things as well. As I have been sorting through them I have found a pattern of emotion, everything makes me sad. I don't want to look at this carp anymore but will I regret throwing it all out?

--

Much longer post deleted

Before she gave it to you, did you ever think...."hmmm, I would really love to see my report card from 6th grade!" If yes, then snap a picture of the thing or scan it, and then toss the original. If not, don't bother and just toss the whole lot.

I do the same with pictures. Pictures of my kids when they were little make me very sad. I don't keep pictures of my kids around the house due to this. I don't want to get rid of them, so I have electronic copies of most of it, but honestly I have very little interest in keepsakes like report cards and drawings. When my son was little, we saved some...now with dd6, it hits the recycle before it has a chance to accumulate. As I run across my son's old things...I toss them too. LOL

Only you will know what is right to do, but if it were me I'd be very selective in what I kept, and probably would only keep scanned copies of important things. If something only brings back painful memories, I'd toss it pronto!

Would you really miss it if it were all gone?

:grouphug: about the report card. I think for most of the other things, maybe keeping taking a pic and keeping is a good idea. Don't have any of my things from childhood due to different moves and I do miss that I canst show my kids those things from my childhood.

Just FYI, you need to keep 4 years of successive school records showing that you were in the States for 4 straight years before age 18 if you ever want to prove citizenship for future kiddos. I had no idea of this rule and had to scramble for school records from overseas some years ago.

Other than that, toss if you need to.

First, my heart goes out to you. We had a house fire in May of last year. A lot of our keepsakes were damaged by smoke but not totally ruined. It was a heartbreaking process to sort through it all. I would have moments of wishing it all had been destroyed. I am pretty sentimental so it was so hard throwing away some of it. Anyway, I know what you are going through. I do regret some of the things we threw away. Our house was hot and smelled like smoke and now I know we rushed the process. My advice would be to really take your time going through your things. I know the process is hard, but you don't want to have regrets later. I wish I had thought to snap pictures of some of our damaged items.

Blessings,

Suzanne

If there had been a fire, not a flood, would you be sad these things were gone? If you don't care, toss them. We had a flood in our basement and I had a bunch Christmas cards that were drenched (I had kept every card ever sent to me while single and during seven years of marriage). I tossed everything except the cards from a couple where the husband always signed the cards because his wife was almost blind (he had beautiful handwriting) and he had a stroke and was not able to write and the cards from a friend who died of cancer very young. I knew I wouldn't miss the other cards that much.