Menu

A million questions...Do you take weekends off?

or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons? Do you have a specific start time? How many hours do you 'log' in each day or does it vary? If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days? What kind of goals do you set for the year? I am hoping that I can be flexible and just have goals set for the year. I hope that I can have some weeks where we 'do' school 2 hours a day 7 days a week and others where we accomplish 4-5 hours a day 3 days a week. Perhaps it is easier to be consistent, I am not sure. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

>Do you take weekends off? or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons?

Take weekends off!

>Do you have a specific start time? How many hours do you 'log' in each day or does it vary?

No specific start time. Hours vary.

>If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days?

in NC a day is a day. If we do just one subject I count it as a day.

> What kind of goals do you set for the year?

I'm a wimp. My goal is to finish the books.

or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons? Do you have a specific start time? How many hours do you 'log' in each day or does it vary? If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days? What kind of goals do you set for the year? I am hoping that I can be flexible and just have goals set for the year. I hope that I can have some weeks where we 'do' school 2 hours a day 7 days a week and others where we accomplish 4-5 hours a day 3 days a week. Perhaps it is easier to be consistent, I am not sure. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Hi! I live in Ohio and they 'require' 180 days, 5 hours a day. We do 180 days, but I don't do 5 hours a day. I focus on quantity. We have to finish our work: 2 pages of math, 1 lesson of reading, grammar, latin, etc.

We only do weekends if my oldest dd plays/daydreams/doodles too much and doesn't get her work done or if Daddy is doing a science experiement of some sort.

I think it owuld be better to be consistent. You don't specify the ages of your children, but if you are too flexible, you might end up with THEM trying to mandate their own schedule. They may end up trying to get out of work today with the promise of doing more tomorrow. Whereas if you are consistent with the schedule, they will see that this is not something to play around with. If your kids are younger, this might not be as important, though.

You also don't mention your curriculums. If you are using something along the lines of Charlotte Mason/Ambleside, that allows for a little more flexiblility. If you are using a more traditional approach, such as I am, with workbooks, then I think you do need to have more structure. But my oldest and I both thrive on structure. If we were to do the Ambleside thing nothing would get done.

Hope these early morning ramblings help ;)

Forgot to add the goals thing. I have to agree, my goal is to get through the books. Or at least forge ahead by 180 lessons.

I log days based on what we cover, not on the amount of time it takes. (My state does not have specific requirements about hours.) If we cover our core subjects and/or do a significant amount of reading aloud or an educational event (a.k.a. field trip), I count it as a school day. We usually do lessons M-F, but I do count weekend days if we happen to do academic stuff.

Definitely take weekends off! And any other day Dad is home. And any day we have guests. And any day we have out-of-town swim meets. And any other reasonable excuse.

We don't have to count days or hours, so we just get what needs to be done when we can do it.

Procrastination can result in one dc having a lot more days than the other!

do you take weekends off or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons? Do you have a specific start time? How many hours do you 'log' in each day or does it vary? If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days? What kind of goals do you set for the year? I am hoping that I can be flexible and just have goals set for the year. I hope that I can have some weeks where we 'do' school 2 hours a day 7 days a week and others where we accomplish 4-5 hours a day 3 days a week. Perhaps it is easier to be consistent, I am not sure. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

weekends are almost always off. There were a few times last year, since ds was in a virtual academy that he had a little homework a Saturday here or there, but it was rare.

My kids know that after their work (chores and school) are done, they can do whatever they please within limits. They also know what else we have going in a day. So they start and finish when they please (with mom only available until a certain time though). My ds starts REALLY early and my dd waits til a more normal time most days.

We don't have to really keep track of school days. Ds has to do an attendance question for the virtual academy. His day is counted whether it's 10 minutes or 10 hours. He does have a required number of hours per school year so he logs what he's doing as he goes along. It's been interesting to note those logs.

When we homeschooled only (no virtual academy, college, etc), we didn't worry about how much we spent per day or week or whatever. We got done what we got done and that was all there was to it. Most days were 2-4 horus of what was considered "schoolishness" which is still the case though we log a lot of less schoolish things as school now due to virtual academy (for example, free reading, computer programming, Bible study, "p.e.", etc). Also, before the virtual academy, I'd say most weeks were 3-4 days, not 5days, certainly not 7. Of course, a lot of it is what you consider school also. Science experiments, cooking experiments, reading Anne of Green Gables, helping dad with the car--are those school? Or are they life activities?

Main goal of the year is to at least finish the chosen curriculum (or now K12 curriculum for the grade).

Does this help at all?

How old are your kiddos?

Do you take weekends off?

Yes we take weekends off

or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons?

We have a 4 day week. If we need to catch up we use the 5th day for extra school

Do you have a specific start time?

I try to start by 9:30 but it doesn't always work that way

How many hours do you 'log' in each day or does it vary?

It varies for us. When are playing catch- school days are longer

If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days?

Yes, now during the summer I count dd's once a week hourly horse back riding lesson as a full day. I don't have to report hours in my state.

What kind of goals do you set for the year?

To get done with the various books. I'm not big on planning long term goals.

I am hoping that I can be flexible and just have goals set for the year. I hope that I can have some weeks where we 'do' school 2 hours a day 7 days a week and others where we accomplish 4-5 hours a day 3 days a week. Perhaps it is easier to be consistent, I am not sure. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

I'd worry about burn-out going 7 days a week, but that is me. For you it may work out.

dear Lord no, we definetly take weekends off! i would be seriously burnt out if we schooled 7 days a week. we do M-F. i plan our weeks lessons to be done on M-Th, F is our make-up/fun day (educational games, experiments, projects, etc).

we usually get started between 9 and 10. a few months ago ds started waking himself up early to get started before breakfast each day; he has set the goal of finishing by noon each day (which is perfectly fine w/ me)!

if we have a short day it is because we had something school-related to do outside the home, so i still count it as a school day.

We take weekends off since that is when Dad is home and available to play/drive places/nag kids into mowing lawn, etc.

He also tends to spread whatever he is doing all over the dining room table - which is our school room - so until he goes to work Monday morning there is no place to do work anyway!

but it never works out. We travel quite a bit and I sometimes allow us to slack off telling myself - we'll catch up over the weekend. Not once have I managed to do that!

I've found that the earlier we start the more we accomplish. My ultimate goal would be to start at 8:00am, but we are usually closer to 9:00am and sometimes even 10:00am before we start. I find that we poop out a lunch time no matter what time we start. Hence, more accomplished if we start earlier. Like weekend catch up...easier said than done for us.

We are not required to keep track of days so I don't schedule things that way. I started somthing new for scheduling this year and it has absolutely revolutionized our homeschooling (or at least my attitude towards homeschooling). Instead of scheduling by the day or by the week, I simply laid out in column form all of the lessons for each of the subjects. I have a separate schedule page for each subject - math has lesson 1 through lesson 120 listed on it. I simply check off a lesson as we do it. For something like FLL where we are combining several lessons each day, I simply check off 3 or 4 lessons as we complete them. I used to get so bogged down when for some reason we'd work ahead in a subject or get behind in another. I'd get frustrated that we weren't staying on schedule and sometimes throw in the towel for a period or feel like we were slacking. Now, each subject has its own schedule and I can see what we need to accomplish if we want to complete "xyz" by the end of the school year.

For goals, I set them individually by subject and they usually consist of completing the book or at least getting to a certain point in the book.

I always take weekends off. When I build my schedule every month has a 4 day weekend...if something happens I just use on of those 2 days to get caught up.

Hours..we school from 8:30 - 12:00 and 1:30-3:30 --5.5 hours a day of instruction and if it's not completed by then..it's homework on his time.

My goal is he actually loves what he's learning and he remembers it. If we stumble on a section or have problems we just slow our pace a little and work until we master it. No pushing through without complete comprehension.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

We take weekends off. I usually have some planning to do, and older kids might have unfinished work from the previous week, but we plan for weekends to be free. Highly recommend it!

We went to a home school seminar many years ago with Gayle Graham. She suggested picking broad goals each year for each member of the family in four areas. I don't remember her exact word choice, but they are: academic, practical (life skills), physical, and spiritual (or character).

My husband and I plan time together in the summer to discern these for each person in the family, and it has been a big help to us. E.g., Child A might have these goals: academic - math, practical - doing laundry, physical- swimming, and character - responsibility. These broad goals helped with detailed planning, adjusting schedule when life happened (if only one subject can be covered that day, it should probably be math), and with staying calm about problems we saw in other areas (if Child A tripped over her feet in every family ball game, we could remember we were working on swimming that year.) :-)

Weekends, it depends on what you mean by taking off. We continue reading our read alouds, often that's when we'll do fieldtrips as a family. Dh used to do science with the kids on weekends, but it was fun so it was nice father/children time! We've been known to watch movies that have something to do with history or lit on the weekends. Do you mean don't do the seatwork involved in learning? For us, learning doesn't divide up that neatly that we can stop on the weekends. It kind of naturally overflows.

Also, I have teens who take outside classes so they often opt to do homework on the weekends (if their class is scheduled on a Mon for ex.).

It works better for us, if on the week days when we are doing seatwork we start around 9 though sometimes we don't get going until 10.

How many hours each day really varies. I'd say minimum of 2 but depending on what's going on things can continue through early afternoon. My older kids often do work after dinner with their dad (math and science). So it really, really depends.

I don't have to keep track of my school hours, so I don't! No help there.

My goals are to complete whatever plans I have. If I have a textbook, it is to complete the text. If I have a workbook, it is to complete that. If I have a syllabus of reading material or a lecture series then that's the goal. However, I have to say that especially for workbooks sometimes we get bogged down and don't complete them or if they are too repetitive, we tend to jump around in them and skip stuff that is redundant.

It is easier to get all the kids moving in the same direction if you are consistent. However, I find over the course of the school year that time varies according to what is going on. For ex. we'll spend more hours working on academics in the fall, but as Christmas approaches we'll cut back because we are preparing for the holiday/involved in shows, recitals, etc) So I don't see why you can't work your own routines around the natural ebb and flow of the year.

A day is a day is a day here! We count the efficient days the same as the non-efficient ones! Most days, we start at 8 and finish academics by 11:45. We might have outside classes like gymnastics, art, science, etc. later, but we're done in the classroom. Other days, we go all day long, like 9 am to 3-4 pm. That usually happens only if someone has seriously dawdled, or there's been a big field trip, etc. NC "recommends" 180 school days...we shoot for that, but we're finished when we're finished, not when we hit (or miss!) the 180 mark.

We most definitely take weekends off. That is, unless you count camping or swimming as part of school! :D Our goals for the year? To finish the curriculum I've chosen for the year in each subject (as in, finish the book! ;)), to love learning, to love God and each other more each year.

That's it. We're simple folks, or at least try to be!

My oldest will be 5 this fall. In Texas, where we live, she would start pre-k this year because she misses the cut off of September. We are starting phonics and reinforcing math skills right now and doing lots and lots and lots or reading. I thrive on structure and I love to organize things, on the same note, I do experience burn out if I dont let myself deviate from the 'master plan'. I hope to start first grade next year and I have not settled on any specific cirriculum yet. I am taking alot of advice straight from the book but I ordered several different books (on the cheap!) to check them out for myself. I am leaning towards Math U See and Spell to Read and Write as well as the Usborne and Kingfisher History Books. I did order Dempsey Parr World History Encyclopedia so I could check that one out as well.

Weekends, it depends on what you mean by taking off. We continue reading our read alouds, often that's when we'll do fieldtrips as a family. Dh used to do science with the kids on weekends, but it was fun so it was nice father/children time! We've been known to watch movies that have something to do with history or lit on the weekends. Do you mean don't do the seatwork involved in learning? For us, learning doesn't divide up that neatly that we can stop on the weekends. It kind of naturally overflows.

Also, I have teens who take outside classes so they often opt to do homework on the weekends (if their class is scheduled on a Mon for ex.).

It works better for us, if on the week days when we are doing seatwork we start around 9 though sometimes we don't get going until 10.

How many hours each day really varies. I'd say minimum of 2 but depending on what's going on things can continue through early afternoon. My older kids often do work after dinner with their dad (math and science). So it really, really depends.

I don't have to keep track of my school hours, so I don't! No help there.

My goals are to complete whatever plans I have. If I have a textbook, it is to complete the text. If I have a workbook, it is to complete that. If I have a syllabus of reading material or a lecture series then that's the goal. However, I have to say that especially for workbooks sometimes we get bogged down and don't complete them or if they are too repetitive, we tend to jump around in them and skip stuff that is redundant.

It is easier to get all the kids moving in the same direction if you are consistent. However, I find over the course of the school year that time varies according to what is going on. For ex. we'll spend more hours working on academics in the fall, but as Christmas approaches we'll cut back because we are preparing for the holiday/involved in shows, recitals, etc) So I don't see why you can't work your own routines around the natural ebb and flow of the year.

I suspect that when you get into the groove of home learning it becomes natural to look for an opportunity to learn everywhere.

My kids will be in high school next year, and I have deliberately planned their schedules so they do not have weekends off. They will have 4-5 hours of schoolwork on Saturdays.

For my kids who will be homeschooled, I think it is important for them to get used to doing schoolwork on the weekends. They would have to do that in a regular high school, and they will definitely have to study during weekends in college.

Before this year, the kids did some schoolwork on weekends. I used Saturdays to make up for time missed due to appointments, homeschool co-op days, and lazy days.

In the early elementary years (grades 1-4), the kids never did schoolwork on weekends because our daily schedule was not very rigorous and it was easy to get it all done. I felt fortunate that my kids didn't think of any subjects besides math and reading as "schoolwork". Those early years are so much fun -- I sometimes wish I could turn the clock back and start anew.

RC

First of all, I don't have to log hours or days for our state. But, we will do school on weekends sometimes. Dh almost always does more Spanish with the kids on the weekends because he has more time. I will use a Saturday morning to catch up with some things that we need to get done. We also do cleaning and prep work on the weekends to get ready for the week. I think it is good to be flexible. I really want my kids to get the idea that school isn't something that we rush through to get to other fun things, but that learning happens every day, all the time, in whatever activities we are doing. Maybe that is optimistic on my part! :001_smile:

My first born also a September birthday that missed the cut-off date. Of course, we can teach them at whatever level they are ready for.

But I would really encourage you to not get too wrapped up in counting hours, doing 7-day/week planning, etc. Especially in TX, one of the simplest states to hs in. And especially with a 4-year old. Find a level of organization and planning that works for you so that you can be comfortable. But don't lose sight of that fact that learning happens all day long, particularly at that age. I try to look at education as a holistic process and adopt a lifestyle of learning.

Do you take weekends off, or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons? We take weekends off. We need the break.

Do you have a specific start time?Yes. We start by 9 am.

How many hours do you 'log' in each day or does it vary?It varies based on the amount of work we have to cover and wether or not we are introducing new material.

If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days?We don't keep track because we school year-round. But, if you cover your cores subjects, I would count it.

What kind of goals do you set for the year?We school year round so we take breaks occasionally throughout the year and just keep going with a subject until we are done and then move on to new stuff.

Do you take weekends off or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons?

Not exactly. My oldest has a few items we cover on Saturday (about 1.5 hours), unless he has make-up work from earlier in the week. Sunday's are usually "off", again, unless he has make-up work from earlier in the week, or we're working on a special report or something. Of course, if he wants computer game time or Wii games, it's 30 minutes of reading for 30 minutes of technology comforts :D Television is still limited too.

We usually begin school around 7:30am (with Bible reading). My kids are up at 6:00am, and if we wait too much longer, they are "lost" for the day.

We pretty much work until the daily assignments are complete. For my oldest, that means 7:30am until 11:00 (a two hour break) and then 1:00pm until 3:00pm. My K/1st are usually done with formal school by 9:30am, except for FLL, Oral Language Exercises and Latin (which they only do the chants for).

If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days?

I track time by subject/day. So, if we only do 2.5 hours that day, it's only 2.5 hours.... thankfully, I don't have to worry about state requirements on that issue.

It varies by child. For my oldest, it's neat work, completed on-time, and done right the first time. For my youngest, it's holding his pencil correctly and learning to write his ABC's and 123"s nicely. Finishing subjects isn't a goal for me, it's a requirement :D But, that isn't something we struggle with here, thankfully!

It's good to have some flexibility, but structure is very important too. Having a routine really helps get the work done in much less time. Too much flexibility, and my children will whine all day about having to do any school at all. :tongue_smilie:

We take weekends off to spend time with my dh who works during the week. We start school at 8:30 and usually work to 1 or so, taking a half hour for lunch. We do not have to record hours here but we usually do 4 full days with Friday as a catch all/up day. This works really well for us.

My good friend homeschools has a very flexible schedule because her dh is military. So if he's flying nights, she schools later in the day to spend time with him in the morning. If he's working weekends, she schools on weekends and takes a few days off during the week. This works really well for her.

I think you just have to really try it out and see what works best for you.

I do write a list of goals for my boys at the beginning of the school year. It helps me keep on track and maintain focus. Some of the goals are academic others are for their personal growth, like learn to share better or help around the house more. I also have a short list of goals for myself for the year. I find this helps me remember that I'm important too and that I have things that I would like to work on.

HTH

I thought I'd chime in since my kids are K and 2nd grades and you didnt mention how old your kids are so I thought I'd share.. :)

Take weekends off or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons?

Um, I take weekends plus friday off. :) We have long days on Sunday so there is no time to rest. Really its like our first day of the week. So we school 4 days and off 3. Im sure when the kids are older we will need more days to accomplish our goals. But for now this works.

Yes and nO. Our start time varies but the routine does not. Its breakfast, morning family devotions, room check, then straight to table school work. When we incorporate our History and Science (we've just started up again this year) we'll take a break after table work for about 30 min and start History and Science. Then break for lunch. After lunch we snuggle up to a good book and do some free reading. Anyway, no time slots here just get up in the morning and move through our day.

It totally varies. Im guessing about an hour or so of table work (math, grammar, phonics, spelling, handwriting, etc) and then an hour or two in History and Science (depends on the day) and about 30 min to an hour of free reading/ reading aloud... So anywhere from 3 to 4 hours..

Personally I dont count hours as min by min.. But subject by subject. So if History is an hour subject then I count an hour even if we only spend say, 45 min on it. That is what happends at PS.. You count from the moment the kids walk on campus till they leave. It doesnt matter how much of that time the teacher had to spend disciplining or taking kids to the restroom. Just my opinion.. Dont know how legal that is. ;)

Mostly curriculum goals.. Finish X workbook, Y textbook, Z Read aloud.. and the like.

I hope that I can have some weeks where we 'do' school 2 hours a day 7 days a week and others where we accomplish 4-5 hours a day 3 days a week. Perhaps it is easier to be consistent, I am not sure.

I was VERY inconsistent last year and I had to BEG my kids to do school when it had to be done. This year I plan to be consistent. M-th School, Friday field trips or library days or just free. Im hoping that the kids knowing what to expect will make them enjoy school more instead of dread it. Or at least help cut down the complaining. :)

HTH

I am hoping that I can be flexible and just have goals set for the year. I hope that I can have some weeks where we 'do' school 2 hours a day 7 days a week and others where we accomplish 4-5 hours a day 3 days a week. Perhaps it is easier to be consistent, I am not sure. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

this is almost exactly where we are.

If dh is gone, we do a lot of schoolwork. sometimes we get a lot done when he IS here cuz he helps out w/ the little ones.

Do you have a specific start time? How many hours do you 'log' in each day or does it vary? If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days? What kind of goals do you set for the year?

i have an ideal start time of "up at 7am" but that rarely happens ;)

my hours per day vary as i mentioned above.

Texas doesn't require a number of hours or days. I don't usually count a two-hour day as a full day.

I set a couple of specific goals for each kid each year. maybe increase writing, solidify reading, have him read aloud more, focus on documentation, etc.

or do you use the weekends to catch up or teach lessons?

Only if we want/need to, it usually isn't an all day event and if we do this, it is understood that we are doing it.

Do you have a specific start time? 8:00 am

How many hours do you 'log' in each day or does it vary? If you are keeping track of school days do the 2 hour days count as much as the 4-5 hour days?

We don't log hours, we just move from one subject to the next and complete the work. If it takes 3 hours, okay. If it takes 2 hours, okay. If it takes 4 hours, okay. Whether or not to count a day as a school day for recording is up to you. We count any day that we do reading, math and writing in any form (seatwork or informally) as a school day for recording. We only have to record 180 days for the state.

Our goals are varied, most are academic- achieving the goals set forth by the curricula we use. Other goals are character/behavior, moral based. We also have family goals, based on age and life skills.

Instead of getting mentally bogged down with planning out how much time to spend, it takes doing it to figure out what will work best for you. Anything can be done on paper or in our thoughts, it is the actual doing that is the reality. Consistency is the cornerstone of homeschooling, without it you will be spinning wheels.

We don't usually do school on the weekends, although I was thinking of starting this year with 21 days straight to get us in some new, better habits. Our hours each day vary. My goal for the yr is to cover the material I purchased. good luck to me!