Menu

Anyone still using WPD online planner?

Emagine

I remember the whole ordeal and was one of the ones who had a good bit of frustration with it this time last year. Fast forward, a year later...has anyone here stuck through it and can actually recommend it. Would be interested in hearing about it. Are there bugs still? Is it usable? Can you do everything they said you would be able to do?

They did away with the PDF for the online. I was going to use that now that my sprial is almost to the end. I do like their planners.

Ha. It hasn't changed since around Thanksgiving. The majority of the program is not functional. The grading reports never appeared. There was never an app, although a glitchy mobile version was released. They are giving everyone a free year when they roll out their *new* interface which no one has seen yet. They're planning on as late as mid-July for a program that has only been tested behind the scenes if at all. They have blamed their former programming team for defrauding them and claimed that other companies were stealing their work. (What is there to steal?!)

Keep waiting.

oh wow

Ok that sums up why it failed even more so after I got my money back or part of it anyway. Yep, guess I will not be going with it now. I was really hoping my gut feeling last year would prove me wrong a year later.

TY for the response.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was entirely frustrated with it. I don't know anyone IRL who uses it, so I thought maybe it just didn't work with the way my brain works. Glitchy, weird.

Total disappointment and its too bad that it doesn't seem to be any better.

• 1 month later...

Well, on a whim...I logged in last night and started playing around with it.  You can create curriculum, literature, and lesson plans fairly easy and it was intuitive.  I don't think it is their new interface though.  I think we are still waiting on the new interface.  I am going to play with it since apparently I get it free this year.  I am also going to use homeschool helper just in case as a backup.  I need something mobile that will pull up on a tablet.  The one feature that I like about the WPD online was that my kids could have their own log in and password to look at their assignments.  I did create each kid a username and password and tested it out last night and it all worked fine.  

So I am giong to give it a good go.

Well, on a whim...I logged in last night and started playing around with it.  You can create curriculum, literature, and lesson plans fairly easy and it was intuitive.  I don't think it is their new interface though.  I think we are still waiting on the new interface.  I am going to play with it since apparently I get it free this year.  I am also going to use homeschool helper just in case as a backup.  I need something mobile that will pull up on a tablet.  The one feature that I like about the WPD online was that my kids could have their own log in and password to look at their assignments.  I did create each kid a username and password and tested it out last night and it all worked fine.  

So I am giong to give it a good go.

How do you get it free for the year? My subscription expires on August 1st. I was thinking about giving it a try too, but I'm not going to pay for it again.

How do you get it free for the year? My subscription expires on August 1st. I was thinking about giving it a try too, but I'm not going to pay for it again.

Well,  I am not sure how true it is, but someone on another thread said if you bought it early last year that you got this year free.  My subscription should have been up in June I think.  Now my subscription start and end date are blank but I can do everything on it.  Someone said they sent out an email in March that those that bought early last year would get it free this year.  I am going to use it as long as it allows me.  With what I did last night, I would say it is finally where it should have been last year in Beta.  It still has some kinks like not being able to create a custom school year so if I click 2013 it creates 2013-2014 but it is 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2013???  So not the typical school year and if I click 2014 it comes up with 01/01/2014-something....anyway, there are still kinks but the add curriculum, literature, and lesson plan features were all pretty smooth last night.  

I am not relying on it as my only planner as I can't put the right school year in right now.  Someone said a new interface is supposed to be coming out soon.  I honestly didn't touch it much last year after fiddling with it over the summer and it not being ready by the beginning of school.  But if I have it for free this year, I will try it out.

If you go to their facebook page and scroll back to February 14, it does say all current subscribers will be gifted a year.

"Our Valentine Gift to You:

We are excited about our new programming team and the interface they are working on. We appreciate you hanging in there with us as we worked through the many issues of the original programmers.

To show our appreciation, we are gifting a free year to current subscribers! We look forward to showing you throughout 2013 the amazing things this product has in store. No need to do anything. We will automatically extend subscriptions with the launch of the new interface coming this summer!"

I will tell you the one big thing drawing me to WPD is the kid's log-in and can view their assignments.  It is a big draw for our supplemental materials and schedule b/c my kids are so used to logging onto k12 with their own log in and going through it and checking it done.  I gave up last year on it, but I hope when they roll out the new interface that it will be what we need.  None of the other homeschool digital planners seem to offer this type of child's log-in where you don't have to go print the assignment list.  

I will tell you the one big thing drawing me to WPD is the kid's log-in and can view their assignments.  It is a big draw for our supplemental materials and schedule b/c my kids are so used to logging onto k12 with their own log in and going through it and checking it done.  I gave up last year on it, but I hope when they roll out the new interface that it will be what we need.  None of the other homeschool digital planners seem to offer this type of child's log-in where you don't have to go print the assignment list.  

Homeschool Planet from the Co-op has it! There isa  free 30 day trial available.

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/homeschool-planet-free-trial/

Well, I had emailed them a question about custom school year calendar set up and I got a reply today.  The reply I received said they are releasing a completely new iteration of their software (WPD) in just a few weeks.  It sadi all existing subscribers will get an email with screenshots as the date draws nearer with updates on the launching date.

While I am happy they are making improvements and such, school starts Aug. 7 for us.  I don't want to spend hours putting in all our supplemental stuff and lose it when the switch happens either.  I am torn.  I did go ahead in the middle of the night and sign up for the free trial of homeschool planet.  I was liking the idea that WPD was going to be extended this year for those that bought early last year, but I am scared of losing info during the switch.  I am going to write them again and see if they have any kind of exact switch date and if my info will make it safely through the switch.

Well, I had emailed them a question about custom school year calendar set up and I got a reply today.  The reply I received said they are releasing a completely new iteration of their software (WPD) in just a few weeks.  It sadi all existing subscribers will get an email with screenshots as the date draws nearer with updates on the launching date.

While I am happy they are making improvements and such, school starts Aug. 7 for us.  I don't want to spend hours putting in all our supplemental stuff and lose it when the switch happens either.  I am torn.  I did go ahead in the middle of the night and sign up for the free trial of homeschool planet.  I was liking the idea that WPD was going to be extended this year for those that bought early last year, but I am scared of losing info during the switch.  I am going to write them again and see if they have any kind of exact switch date and if my info will make it safely through the switch.

Not that you need the validation - but those are very reasonable questions and concerns.

I wonder why they can't do screen shots now - I'm pretty good at evaluating from them.....

The promise of a new interface a few weeks into the school year is giving me flashbacks to last summer where we heard the same thing! :(

I really hope for those of you who stuck it out it actually happens this time.

WPD is a great idea...it just hasn't materialized yet. I do look forward to seeing what it can do when It's all done... Unfortunately, their word doesn't mean much to me at this point.. A few weeks last summer turned into over a year...

I've looked at most of the other planners online too and I am wondering how tablet friendly they are too.  Does anyone know if they are tablet friendly?  My girls both use their nooks and that would be what they would have on the go.  They do have jellybean on their nooks as well.  I have toyed with Homeschool Planet today as well.  I haven't done too much b/c I really don't want to invest a ton of time into a program and then have something similar be free to me for the year.  I would love some screenshots and a true release date from WPD.  I wrote them and will let others know what they tell me about both the date and the crossover transition of info.   It does give dejavu from last year.  

I've looked at most of the other planners online too and I am wondering how tablet friendly they are too. Does anyone know if they are tablet friendly? My girls both use their nooks and that would be what they would have on the go. They do have jellybean on their nooks as well. I have toyed with Homeschool Planet today as well. I haven't done too much b/c I really don't want to invest a ton of time into a program and then have something similar be free to me for the year. I would love some screenshots and a true release date from WPD. I wrote them and will let others know what they tell me about both the date and the crossover transition of info. It does give dejavu from last year.

I use Scholaric on my iPad and it works really well. My sister just gave my nieces the password to her Scholaric account and they go in pro the account and mark things complete as they do them... Not the same as a student login, but it works. :)

Well, I have waited for the new interface or a date on the new interface besides in the next few weeks. ;) I did check out homeschool planet but $65 a year is steep.  My mardel has an online planner and they say they are going to have student log-ins. reports, and sync with iphone/mac/other calendars....and it is free and I can start actually use it bug free now.  http://homeschool.mardel.com/Intro

I wanted to like WPD.  I wanted to use my free year this year.  I wanted to see the new interface or at least hear that it will launch on a specific date.  School starts Wed. and I am going to start using the free planner.  It may turn out to be everything I need for free.  I just really don't want to spend $65 yearly on a digital planner.

• 4 weeks later...

I am really sad after reading some of the facebook posts and the replies from the company.  It reminds me of another homeschool publisher who polices their site.  I am wondering has anyone turned them in to the better business bureau or other agencies that could look into the fact that they are still selling an incomplete product, refusing refunds, and basically holding hostage people's money in order to finance the revamping of the product.  The whole when we believe it is a complete product is such a load of crock that I can't begin to describe how I feel about wasting my money.  I never asked for a refund during the first 30 days over a year ago b/c they promised these new updates that would do everything.  When they finally admitted they couldn't do what they wanted to do with the program, it was too late for a refund.

I am not upset about my money as much as I am upset that they are still selling yearly subscriptions to an incomplete product when they know it is incomplete and unusable to truly plan a year in advance.  I think that is beyond wrong and that they need to be reported for intentionally hoodwinking new customers.  When they had to get a new programmer and start over, they should have shut down sales for the online planner and given refunds or offered the free year accessible when the new planner was available, but it should have been a choice.

• 2 weeks later...