Menu

How much chili?

Amira

How many cans of chili would you buy if you were supposed to provide chili for 400 hot dogs? Not everyone will put chili on their hot dogs, of course, and probably some people will skip the hot dog and just eat the chili. But it's a condiment- we're not having chili dogs. And I have no idea how much to buy. Any ideas?

I would look at the can and see how many servings a can had. Then buy that number of cans plus a few extra.

http://www.soupsonline.com/p-1434-texas-pete-hot-dog-chili-sauce.aspx?gclid=CJz0jvyYvrcCFVSk4AodO1oAzg#.Uad3AWTEpcs

According to this, never mind what I said above. I can't see someone using only 1 T of chili on a hot dog! I would figure 5 servings per can, not 10. The recipes I saw also only give you about 6 hot dogs per pound of meat.

That's a lot of chili!

I'm hoping I can find a place that sells chili in larger containers because it's not really practical to get as many cans as I'm thinking I'll need. It's for a fundraiser, so I guess most of our money will go toward the chili instead of donating to the cause. It would have been a lot cheaper to be in charge of the mustard.

Yabbut mustard is yucky.

I've seen giant cans at Sam's Club, but it might be even less expensive to make it from scratch using giant cans of tomatoes and beans.

Another reason to be assigned mustard- since it's yucky, no one should want it!

I would make the chili, but we're in temporary housing and I think my largest pot might hold 1/2 gallon of chili. Maybe.

Cooking for crowds various websites recommend 1/4 cup of either chili or sauerkraut per hot dog. That translates into 64 servings per gallon of chili. They also say 2 gallons per 100 hot dogs.. Adding it up that would be 8 gallons for 400 hot dogs.

My advice would be to buy that much, but get it from a food service place or Sam's or whatever, and check on their return policy. Usually you can return canned items, but not fresh or frozen.

Edited. I was just checking a message board on Ellen's kitchen. She says 1 cup of chili for every 8 hot dogs (1/8 cup) , which is more what I was thinking.