Menu

Looking for Calculus book recommendation

We used Lial's Intermediate Algebra and then dd took PreCalculus at the community college. She is going to take Calculus in the fall, but I'd like her to do some study ahead of time this summer. Is there a Lial's Calculus book you'd recommend or something else?

Thanks!

Dd has been enjoying a very old and cheap Lial's Applications in Calculus. Our library had a copy so we even got to try beforehand. :)

She also has done LOF Calculus which she thought was a great introduction to Calculus so it might be good for a summer intro. She is very comfortable with the basic concepts thanks to the LOF book and is rapidly moving through Lials. She also has Stewarts but hasn't really started it. She is fascinated by what Calc can be used for so wants to finish with Lial's first.

If you tag this thread with 'calculus', you can click on the tag and get lots of threads, including links to video support, etc...

To do that, go back to your first post and click 'edit'....then you will see at the top, under the title, a place to add tags. :-)

Maybe she could buy the text she'll be using in her fall class and try to work with it some. Unfortunately college texts tend to leave most of the teaching to the professors, but depending on the text, she may be able to learn some on her own. She may also be able to get some help at the college's learning center. If she wants a text which teaches to the student, Saxon does do that. A used first edition should be inexpensive, but I'd be sure to get the solutions manual as well. The other suggestions here sound good too.

If you tag this thread with 'calculus', you can click on the tag and get lots of threads, including links to video support, etc...

To do that, go back to your first post and click 'edit'....then you will see at the top, under the title, a place to add tags. :-)

Thanks, I'd never tried tagging a post before.

Maybe she could buy the text she'll be using in her fall class and try to work with it some. Unfortunately college texts tend to leave most of the teaching to the professors, but depending on the text, she may be able to learn some on her own. She may also be able to get some help at the college's learning center. If she wants a text which teaches to the student, Saxon does do that. A used first edition should be inexpensive, but I'd be sure to get the solutions manual as well. The other suggestions here sound good too.

Interesting idea to just start with the text she'll be using. Unfortunately, they don't have the texts listed yet for the fall. I did look at what they used in the Spring, so unless they require a new edition, that might work. I was hoping for something like Lial's that did a great job of putting the teaching in the textbook. The PreCalculus book we had ot use was not great. I'll look into a cheap Saxon :)

Dd has been enjoying a very old and cheap Lial's Applications in Calculus. Our library had a copy so we even got to try beforehand. :)

She also has done LOF Calculus which she thought was a great introduction to Calculus so it might be good for a summer intro. She is very comfortable with the basic concepts thanks to the LOF book and is rapidly moving through Lials. She also has Stewarts but hasn't really started it. She is fascinated by what Calc can be used for so wants to finish with Lial's first.

Do you think LOF could be done in a summer? Given that Calculus is a 3 quarter course where we are, I wouldn't expect to be able to get all the way through any Calculus course that quickly.

Do you think LOF could be done in a summer? Given that Calculus is a 3 quarter course where we are, I wouldn't expect to be able to get all the way through any Calculus course that quickly.

Just asked DD's opinion. She does not think she could do the whole book over the summer but says the last part of the book is quite advanced. Probably at least the second quarter. She thinks getting through the first half of the book is possible and would make the course easier.

I have the book put away but can find it if you need us to look at the table of contents etc.

She can e-mail her calculus professor for textbook info. It's usually a bit cheaper to buy during the summer instead of waiting until the texts are listed. As she'll need the text for her course anyway, she's got nothing to lose by getting it now to see if she can work with it.