Menu

Complying with homeschooling laws in IL. Is it really this easy?

Hello!

I have a 4-year-old DD (turning 5 in July) and we have decided to homeschool her for K starting this fall. We have also just recently moved to Chicago from another country, so I have been reading about the US school system, IL homeschool laws, and the like. From what I understand, I am not required to register her as a homeschooled student or inform any government organization of my intent to homeschool until she turns 7, right? And even then, it would be entirely optional on our part to register her with the State Board, correct? There are no requirements for standardized testing, attendance records, etc?

Thanks in advance! Any other tips/advice to a newbie homeschooler and recent immigrant to the US would also be greatly appreciated!

As long as you are teaching her the subjects she would learn in school, in English, you are good to go. I would recommend not registering with anyone, even voluntarily.

Copied from the Illinois State Board of Education Website:

"Parents who choose to educate their children at home are obligated to teach their children “…the branches of education taught to children of corresponding age and grade in the public schools†and they are further obligated to offer instruction in these core courses in the English language. The “branches of education†include language arts; mathematics; biological and physical sciences; social sciences; fine arts; and physical development and health."

I hope it's that easy! After our kids (10,13) finish PS this year we are homeschooling them. I plan on sending a letter of withdrawl to the superintendant and principal of the district/school and that's it.

Where are you fellow Illinoisans located? We are on the North Shore. We are still trying to find some good homeschool groups in our area.

It really is that easy. I will say, though, that in some parts of the state, the school boards are less than nice to homeschoolers, so keeping some sort of record could be helpful if you ever get on their bad side. There are many homeschoolers up by you. There are facebook and yahoo groups particular to location. I'm in IL, but about as far from you as you can get!

Ok. That's what I figured from my readings, but it seemed too easy to be true and I just wanted to double-check that I had not misunderstood anything. Thank you all for your replies!

We are in Hyde Park, also looking for homeschool co-ops and groups that we can join. Any recommendations?

Also downstate central IL. I can drive to another state faster than I can drive to Chicago... Now I'm wondering who the fellow downstate central IL people are and if I know you in real life...

If you home school through high school the only thing to keep in mind is the Constitution test that is required for graduation in this state. I have no idea how that is handled with home school, as my oldest was pulled from PS after she had already taken it, and my other is not even close to that point yet.

Another downstater here :)

Yes, it's that easy, and please DO NOT send in any of those "optional" forms to register. That sets a bad precedent!

As for the Constitution test, four of my kids have taken it at our local community college, and they said it was pretty easy. We use the CC for at least part of their high school, so they have some non-Mommy grades on their transcripts. Also, we discovered that if they went ahead and got their Associate Degree, U of I didn't require the ACT for them to transfer. So we were glad to avoid that source of stress (and save money on the basic general-ed requirements, too).

Guest hydeparkhomeschooler

I've been lurking on this forum forever but finally had to register to say hi to a fellow Hyde Parker. Welcome to the neighborhood! There are quite a few homeschooling families here but, unless I've really overlooked something, no formal groups or coops right here in the neighborhood. Plenty of things are available elsewhere in the city, though. If you're interested in finding a friend for your daughter, though, I have a DD who turned 5 in March and would probably welcome a new pal. Send me a message and we can meet at Bixler or something.

We're in central Illinois, too. There are several homeschooling groups in Champaign, Bloomington and Peoria and throughout the state. It is easy to officially homeschool in Illinois. Just start! The recommendation among homeschool parents is usually not to even register with the state. There are lots of homeschoolers in the state, so the public is more aware and less weirded out by kids that are home all day.

However, I would recommend that if you think you may at some point have your children enter public schools that you at least are familiar with the state curriculum standards and/or a country you may eventually move to so that at least you know where you might want to aim for in your curriculum. I think it's good to have your child do some kind of standardized testing at some point on a regular basis just so you at least know your child's academic strengths and weaknesses. I'm just suggesting considering some kind of annual test. The SAT-10 is one of these types of tests.

I would also try very hard to connect with some homeschool groups so you can exchange ideas with parents and another group for your kids to meet other kids.

Not meaning to derail the thread, but what's up with that "in English" requirement? I have two good friends who homeschool in part so that their children's instruction can be mostly in their native language (the children are quite fluent in English just being raised in the U.S.). What right does the state have to deprive children of a second native language?

Another Illinoisan here, SE Illinois. Yes homeschooling in Illinois is that easy.

It doesn't mean you can't teach them another language. There are foreign language requirements for graduating here, last I checked. There are even quite a few immersion programs up by Chicago. But it just means that your children need to learn English.

And yes, that totally doesn't have anything to do with learning a foreign language or ESL students.

It really is that easy. I will say, though, that in some parts of the state, the school boards are less than nice to homeschoolers, so keeping some sort of record could be helpful if you ever get on their bad side. There are many homeschoolers up by you. There are facebook and yahoo groups particular to location. I'm in IL, but about as far from you as you can get!

Rule of thumb: Unless the law specifically says that school officials can see any records you may keep, then you don't let school officials see the records, regardless of how bad their sides are. :-)

It doesn't mean you can't teach them another language. There are foreign language requirements for graduating here, last I checked. There are even quite a few immersion programs up by Chicago. But it just means that your children need to learn English.

Okay, thanks. So if the Powers That Be found, for instance, that all or nearly all subjects were taught in Mandarin (say), that wouldn't be a problem?

Rule of thumb: Unless the law specifically says that school officials can see any records you may keep, then you don't let school officials see the records, regardless of how bad their sides are. :-)

Unless you cross CPS. Here I think it's still called DCFS. But, either way, they can ask for and expect you to provide your curricula, samples, whatever they want. Heck, in this state they can make you dance a jig in your underwear. We were one of two homeschooling families in my town erroneously accused several years ago and we had to go through Hell. I had to show them all of my books for them to approve that my kids were actually being edumacated, etc.

Violet Crown, I can't see how it would ever come up as being a problem. So long as they are fluent in English, just like they'd expect if the child went to school and received ESL services, it shouldn't be an issue. I do a fair deal of our work in French and Latin and I've never heard of anyone in trouble for doing so. The only reason I could possibly imagine why that is in there would be because of immigration. We have a lot of immigration, so I'm assuming they want to make sure everyone learns some English. This would mostly be an issue with the poorer immigrants who work fields, etc. Making sure they go to school or are homeschooled English instead of it being an excuse? I really have no idea, and I've never heard of it being a problem!

Unless you cross CPS. Here I think it's still called DCFS. But, either way, they can ask for and expect you to provide your curricula, samples, whatever they want. Heck, in this state they can make you dance a jog in your underwear. We were one of two homeschooling families in my town erroneously accused several years ago and we had to go through Hell. I had to show them all of my books for them to approve that my kids were actually being edumacated, etc.

Violet Crown, I can't see how it would ever come up as being a problem. So long as they are fluent in English, just like they'd expect if the child went to school and received ESL services, it shouldn't be an issue. I do a fair deal of our work in French and Latin and I've never heard of anyone in trouble for doing so. The only reason I could possibly imagine why that is in there would be because of immigration. We have a lot of immigration, so I'm assuming they want to make sure everyone learns some English. This would mostly be an issue with the poorer immigrants who work fields, etc. Making sure they go to school or are homeschooled English instead of it being an excuse? I really have no idea, and I've never heard of it being a problem!

CPS/DCFS is always problematic. :glare:

In Illinois the "burden of proof" lies with parents to show that they are complying with the law in case they are challenged. So it just makes good sense to have a personal form of record keeping etc.

Although I don't believe that CPS has any authority to ask or investigate into educational issues. But some people are notorious for taking matters into their own hands. I think if someone were worried, then I would suggest keeping a copy of current school code laws on hand. It's amazing how any homeschooling argument can be shut down when someone realizes you are on top of it legally. It's also amazing how many people don't even know the laws relating to their own profession.

I also wouldn't show anyone anything that is beyond the law, although there's also nothing to hide either. I think if I were ever challenged I may be more inclined to overwhelm them with all we do, rather than give them too little. Just to make a point! :) I also suggest if anyone has any problems to insist on all communications in writing.

The only problems with homeschooling I have heard are from those taking children out of school. Seems they put up more of a fuss when losing a student then they do in a student they never have had enrolled.

I remember one conversation I had with a superintendent. Not an official conversation, just this person is someone I know personally. She mentioned that I ought to come to her office and she can give me the some enrollment registration form for homeschoolers. (My oldest was 4!!!!) I mentioned that it was not required by law, and she backpedaled "you're right, it just may be helpful so truancy officers wouldn't bother you."

"Why would they do that? Aren't you their boss?"

Silence.