Menu

Letting up on grammar, my plan (Hake?)

warneral

A friend was talking about how grammar doesn't need to be so rigorous each and every year and what she said resonated with me. I considered skipping grammar this year, but thought up a new idea. We enjoyed FLL3 and then R&S4 last year but it took so much time. Looking over year 5, it doesn't look THAT much more complex. I think what we will try instead is to use Hake 6 but only do it twice a week over the next 2 years. I read that Tara said it has spiral review so that they would still be getting practice as they go along. I realize dd will only be in 4th, but she had NO problem completing R&S4 this year.

Any thoughts?

This is exactly what we do, and it works beautifully for both my kids. DS12 has worked about halfway through Hake 7 this year and will finish the other half next year as a 7th grader.

DD10 just started Hake 5 a few weeks ago, and will continue with it next year.

One downside to this is that most punctuation usage is covered in the second half of the book. Both kids took their yearly standardized test a few weeks ago and seemed to struggle with commas and quotation marks. They should do much better next year when we get to that part of the book.

I think it is a great idea. I have one child that needs to do the work daily at this point, but once he finishes Hake 8, my plan is to buy another copy of the Hake 8 student text and use it 2 days a week through high school to keep things fresh for him. My dd is stronger in grammar and is taking a pretty rigorous Latin class as well as Spanish, so she is getting a lot of grammar there. I had been thinking of either just having her work on Editor in Chief from The Critical Thinking Co. for punctuation skills next year or dropping grammar altogether for a couple of years and then using analytical grammar. I guess buying Hake 6 (she used Hake 5 this year) and using it 2 days a week would be one more option that would appeal to me.

I also considered AG but it is a 3 year course:/

My initial plan is to follow up Hake 6 with 2 years for Hake 8. I've read the suggestion on these boards.

I didn't realize that about AG. I've never looked at it closely. I've only heard people talking about it. I thought it was a one year "get it done" program, so that's good to know.

We love AG here! I bought it for this year using only Season 1 with my 7th grader.....for 8th she will do season 2....and season 3 is more the mechanics of grammar. I bought the DVD's to go with it....she loves having her two teachers explaining grammar to it. They have a writing-literature program (Beyond the Book Report) that is new now, too! I haven't looked at it but she has it scheduled in with AG....looks interesting. I'll be starting JAG with my 5th grader this coming school year.