Menu

Being read to - anyone else hate it?

I can't. stand. having something read to me. :tongue_smilie:

I don't really mean the kids reading school selections out loud or that sort of thing (reading me poems or stories they wrote, etc) ...I'm fine with that and love to hear from them....I mean more, people (adults) who go "oh listen!!" and then read me a whole magazine or newspaper article or thing on their computer screen or bit from a book...

My brain = !!!!ARGH!!!! Stop it! Stop it stop it stop it!!! Just hand it to me and let me read it MYSELF. gaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Meanwhile I'm biting my tongue to not say boo, or pulling my sleeves over my hands so as not to grab the magazine/book/newspaper/whatever.

I've been this way forever - drove me nuts to have teachers reading from books in class, ugh. Especially when we were expected to "follow along" in our books, yuck. I hated that - I've always been a fast reader and I'd be looking paragraphs or pages ahead, reading there, teacher would notice and I'd get yelled at for "not following along". *&^&$#%% Dude! I already READ that part! Blaaaaaaaah. Go away. :tongue_smilie:

Anyone else hate having stuff read to them?

I love reading aloud to others, but I do get impatient when others read aloud to me. The only exception is recordings of very familiar material, like certain poems or scripture. I guess my brain categorizes those things as "music" because of the rhythm of the language.

Yes, and I feel like such a hypocrite about it! I love to read stories aloud, but I find that when I'm read to, I usually can't follow the storyline very well and am always finding fault with the reader. I've bullied my DH into never wanting to read aloud now--isn't that awful? But really, he's not great at it, and I find that I'm always saying things like, "on the FOUNTAIN?! What?! Do you mean that they were on the MOUNTAIN?! Read it again." I'm like the backseat driver of reading. Horrible! :tongue_smilie:

My husband really hates being read to.

I enjoy listening to a narrator/reader *if* the voice sounds very pleasing to my ear or I especially enjoy the accent. I don't care much for Jim Weiss (I hope I don't get kicked off the boards for admitting that, but it's true. We do listen to SOTW in the car to make sure we get through it, but I don't especially like his reading.) I did enjoy the reader who recorded The Tale of Despereaux (unfortunately I can't recall his name at the moment.)

I can certainly identify with the elementary school memories. I hated it when we read aloud out of our textbooks as a class (for social studies or science) because I was a fast reader, too. And I would be way ahead, wishing it were just over. My teachers never noticed, though, and I never got yelled at for not following along. But I know that feeling of frustration.

I enjoy listening to a narrator/reader *if* the voice sounds very pleasing to my ear or I especially enjoy the accent. I don't care much for Jim Weiss (I hope I don't get kicked off the boards for admitting that, but it's true. We do listen to SOTW in the car to make sure we get through it, but I don't especially like his reading.) I did enjoy the reader who recorded The Tale of Despereaux (unfortunately I can't recall his name at the moment.)

Graeme Malcolm!YES--his is one of the best readings I've ever heard of any book. I also love Robert Whitfield who reads for Blackstone Audiobooks; my dd 6yo falls asleep to his reading of The Children's Homer every night. He also reads Men of Iron, and his reading of Dracula is FABULOUS. I could listen to him read the phone book.

I'm also not a big Jim Weiss fan, though my kids really like him.

I also LOVE Ian Carmichael, Frederick Davidson, and Jonathan Cecil, all of whom recorded Wodehouse. And Carmichael IS Lord Peter Wimsey!

So I guess that I DO like being read to if it's the right reader....

I'm the same way. My husband reads during Bible time, and I really have to try to concentrate. It is so much easier for me to read to myself. I'm one of those readers, though, that says the words aloud in my head as I read, so that might be part of it.

I am listening to an audio book, The Mysterious Benedict Society in my van, and that is going well. I do find my mind starting to wander sometimes, though, and I have to yank my mind back. With a book, you can just stop reading and resume when you're ready. I also love listening to Jim Weiss.

If the material is difficult, I HAVE to read it to myself.

I HATE that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated read-a-loud time in school, too - when I was a kid - even then I read over 800 words a minute and ti was PAINFUL to listen to someone slooooooowly read.

I read the morning papers in 20 minutes, tops. I can not understand why it takes hubby all day to get through the paper?

My dd is like this. She has *never* enjoyed read-alouds, even most picture books. But since reading clicked for her she has been reading nonstop. She's not fond of audiobooks (unless she's stuck in the car anyway, and then she merely tolerates them), she doesn't love snuggling up to listen to a story (though again, she'll tolerate it most of the time), but she looooves to read, reads all the time, tells us about everything she reads, tries to figure out reasons why we "need" to stop by the bookstore...

Oh, and she reads her favorite passages aloud to anyone who will listen. All the time. lol... ;)

I don't really mean the kids reading school selections out loud or that sort of thing (reading me poems or stories they wrote, etc) ...I'm fine with that and love to hear from them....I mean more, people (adults) who go "oh listen!!" and then read me a whole magazine or newspaper article or thing on their computer screen or bit from a book...

My brain = !!!!ARGH!!!! Stop it! Stop it stop it stop it!!! Just hand it to me and let me read it MYSELF. gaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Meanwhile I'm biting my tongue to not say boo, or pulling my sleeves over my hands so as not to grab the magazine/book/newspaper/whatever.

I've been this way forever - drove me nuts to have teachers reading from books in class, ugh. Especially when we were expected to "follow along" in our books, yuck. I hated that - I've always been a fast reader and I'd be looking paragraphs or pages ahead, reading there, teacher would notice and I'd get yelled at for "not following along". *&^&$#%% Dude! I already READ that part! Blaaaaaaaah. Go away. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: This describes me to a tee. I even have trouble with the kids doing their readalouds unless I am next to them focusing on the book. Even then, I have been known to doze off if I am short on sleep. My kids use that as get out of school free and go quietly watch tv.:lol:

I hated read-a-loud time in school, too - when I was a kid - even then I read over 800 words a minute and ti was PAINFUL to listen to someone slooooooowly read.

I read the morning papers in 20 minutes, tops. I can not understand why it takes hubby all day to get through the paper?

I'm a slow reader. I read every single word, and I read with inflection (even just in my head). I'm amazed at people who can speed read, but I just can't scan -- at least not in reading anything I actually care about. And if it's a book -- not a magazine or newspaper article or something on the internet I'm just flipping past -- I'll put it down if it's uninteresting enough to me not to bother actually reading all the words that are there.

My dh speed reads and scans quite a bit. He can't understand why it takes me so long. ;)

I don't mind it if that's what I'm doing - listening. If I'm doing something else, and someone expects me to listen, well, then, all is lost. I won't be able to follow along, and I get irritated.

DH and I used to read to each other at night. Long ago, before we were usually half-asleep before we hit the pillow. I loved that. But then, I couldn't, say crochet and listen. Or write and listen. Only listen.

We used to have to read aloud in class, too, and I hated it. I hated it for those of us who were fast, fluent readers, and I hated it for those who had trouble reading and really struggled to get the words out. Nobody was ever ugly about it, that I can recall, but it wasn't beneficial. It created such frustration for all involved. Well, except for the kid who slept through class. He didn't seem to mind.

Yes. When others read to me I don't understand the material as well. I need to read it myself to really get it. I'm not sure why I'm like this, but it is for this reason that instead of reading aloud to my dd this year, I may just read the book first then let her read it and we'll discuss it. Then I think maybe that it is why I don't enjoy being read to, no one ever read to me when I was younger.:confused: Still considering all this.

I'm definitely not an auditory learner. I do not absorb a word that is being read to me. I fall asleep in the car if we're listening to an audio book (not good if I'm the one driving). When my kids were learning to read, and they were reading aloud to me (Frog and Toad, and other books at that level) I would fall asleep. I even find myself falling asleep to the sound of my own voice sometimes, when I'm reading aloud to my kids. That depends on the subject matter, though.

I do still read to my kids, though. And, I still have them read to me. I believe it's important, so I fight and keep myself awake. I don't usually comprehend much, though. ;)

I'm just not an auditory person. I have never liked being read to because... it ... slows... me... down...and feels like a very heavy weight pressing against my head.

DD: "Mom, can you help with with this math problem?"

Me: "Sure, show it to me."

DD: "Okay, it says l5-3xl = -2...and I think that..."

Me: Completely ignoring the verbiage...taking the math book to SEE the problem...

DD: "Mom, what do you need the book for, I just told you what it says."

Me: Ignoring yappy background voices to read.

DS: "DD, you can't do that problem...it's a negative number."

Me: "DD, it's not solvable because an absolute value can't be a negative."

DS: "I just said that."

Me: "Sorry DS. What did you say?"

DD: "Okay, thanks."

DS: "Mom, seriously, I just said that. This is why listening is always faster than reading."

...some more verbiage while I process implications of learning styles and processing speeds...Some time later..."Sorry, DC were you talking to me, I couldn't hear you because I was...

DC: "...thinking!"

I HATE it when people read things to me, or speak using a parts to whole approach. I just don't process information that way. I'm also impatient and have issues with repetition. If I am thinking it and you are saying it...well wasn't it already said? My DH now starts conversations at the end and works backwards. This way he can ramble through the details...which I tune out...while I process the big picture.

I do enjoy listening to my kids read to me, but in all honesty that's because I'm actively analyzing the hows and whats and whys, for future bench marking and lesson planning, knowing I will get to read it myself shortly. I'm assessing things like their fluency or reading speed or inflection or choice of word usage or why DD is wearing lip gloss?! or how DS can read lying on his back upside down or ...you get the picture...and trying to figure out ways to improve or praise their fluency or reading speed or inflection or tell grandma that chap stick and lip gloss are completely different things and that ...

Sorry were you talking to me...I couldn't hear you...because I was listening to myself think...can you please show me your question?

I don't like being read to and I finally figured out why. I see the words in my head, so if I am being read to, I have the additional work of creating the text in my mind. It's easier to just read it. My oldest is the same way and we never read aloud for school.

I also have trouble processing what I am reading if I am the one reading aloud.

I love being read to, assuming the *reader* knows how to read in an interesting fashion (or it's my just-learning-to-read son...nothing beats that).

My wife reads aloud beautifully, and the family seems to enjoy my dramatics as well. So I'm in the pro-read-aloud camp.

Bill (who counts being read to as one of his great joys)

I am a *terrible* auditory learner but an extremely fast reader.

I don't mind so much with stories if the reader is good as on some books on tape/cd.

However, I almost failed a class where the teacher gave weekly oral quizzes because I pretty much flunked them all. Luckily, I was the only student to make a 100% on the midterm and final which were written and were the majority of our grade.

Yes, I absolutely feel that way and it's pretty jerky of me considering how much I love to read to others.

And yes, I was also one of those kids who would be like on the verge of death while waiting for other kids to read aloud in school. Does anyone remember that? It was bad enough when the teacher read and we were supposed to follow along, but when the other kids were the readers...land sakes! It was torture for me. I can remember my stomach all in knots as I listened to them stumble over the words I'd finished reading minutes ago.

Wow! I just had a Huge Realization: My stomach gets in knots when I have to listen to my children read in the early stages. I love it when they "get" reading, but there is something about that in between stage that sets my teeth on edge. And I just now realized that it's the same way I felt waaaaaay back in elementary school when I heard my fellow students learning to read. Who knew?

I haven't read the responses yet, but I'm sooooo with you. I despise being read to. But, go figure, I love audio books with a good reader!

Oh yes. I love having my DD5 read to me (within reason!) because she taught herself to read and it still blows my mind, the whole process and how she has all the right inflections and listening to her process new words and end up with the right word, etc. It amazes me, and I love to listen to it. Beyond that? No way. I used to have a boyfriend who would read bits to me out of the newspaper--or worse, music magazines and CD liner notes, I just remembered that! Ugh, now I have a knot in my stomach recalling all that old frustration! Oh, how I loathed The Aquarian--no matter HOW MANY TIMES I told him I hated it. I still hate it, but DH does it so rarely that when he does, I know it's something that really matters, so I listen.

I do love well-read audiobooks though :thumbup:

Wow - I'm surprised there's so many others! Very pleased to see I'm not quite the weirdo I thought (at least not in this LOL) :D ...but surprised!

I don't do the audio books either - well, we do have some in the house because ds9 listens to short stories on a cd or on his talking bear, but he's visually impaired, so that's why those are here. (dd11 doesn't care much for them)

I do enjoy reading out loud to the kids though - and they seem to enjoy *that*, but I'm a dramatic reader (I do all the voices and read with lots of emotion) ....heh, it strikes me kinda funny that I like to *do* the thing I despise having *done* to me. :tongue_smilie: