Menu

What Not to Wear

Luanne

I can't stand it. I still crack up at one episode when they put the mom in heels and a nice suit type outfit for a play date/park attire (season 2 or 3). I prefer the version on the style network where they take into account what the person does for a living and style from there.

Which show is that?

I love Clinton, however I agree that they put some people in outfits not geared for their lifestyle. They put a nursing mom (baby was about 5 months or so) into a cashmere sweater. The mom kept protesting saying that the baby spits up all over her clothes all the time. They told her that's what burp cloths are for and that she can wear the sweater when she's not with the baby. She said, "I'm always with the baby." They still had her buy the sweater.

Guess what I was wearing while nursing a baby? Not a cashmere sweater.

I haven't seen it in a long time. I used to watch it with my mom when she was still alive. I agree that it is a funny show. That said, I agree they have a crazy idea about what moms can wear. I saw them put more than one mom in heels for errands and the park. Sorry, I'll be keeping my chucks. They suit my style and I can chase down my 4 year old without breaking my ankle. To say nothing of pushing kids on swings, jumping off swings myself and playing catch.

I used to watch it. It is funny. They really have no clue what moms should wear, but otherwise I think they do a decent job of matching the clothes to the person, as well as teaching the person how to shop. Shopping is hard work. I know I hate it. I hate buying new clothes, but if you want anything that looks decent you have to work for it.

We used to turn it on in the summer when we got home from swimming. I was always sure my middle son would tell some poor woman that she needed to "support her girls". :lol: He loved watching that show, and seemed to soak it up.

I enjoy the show, even though it bugs me that Stacy and Clinton think that allowing their shirt tails to hang out below their jackets is acceptable. It looks slovenly to me.

Of course, maybe some day I'll have my own TV show and I can promote wearing socks/hosiery instead of showing off bare feet and legs....

I've watched it and I hate the way that they humiliate people. While Stacy and Clinton are funny, but I don't get the "really care about you" vibe. Yeah, a $5000 shopping spree would be nice, but not at the price of dignity. Plus, they are entirely impractical, not taking account how people actually live. Sorry, spending $100 on a pair of pants and $200 on shoes is not going to magically transform my life into lunch at trendy/spendy restaurants. Dogs need to be walked, laundry needs to be done, sweat is going to happen, humidity will wreak havoc. While I like to look stylish, I dress to lead an active, comfortable life, not pose for pictures.

ETA: and the only way I will wear heels if I don't have to walk any further than the curb to the front door and don't need to stand too much. I have bad knees and ankles so wearing heels means pain. I bet those stillettos would look killer on me in a wheelchair.

I used to watch it all the time. I learned quite a bit and I found Stacy and Clinton hilarious. I always wanted someone to volunteer me for a makeover but then decided they would make me get rid of all my comfortable shoes. I like my comfortable shoes.

Yeah they want to help people, but it's also entertainment. I think they set the bar high knowing that some of the outfits aren't that realistic for every day life, just to get these women into clothes that look good on them. And it's TV! So we have to take that into account. We all know that "reality" TV is not reality.

As for the humiliation aspect, they say, "We tear you down and then build you back up." It seems like the objective is get the people to see how unflattering some of their clothing is and that it does not reflect who they really are. For example, there are people who still wear rock band t-shirts that they got at concerts back in the 90's, just because they can't move past that era. Make a scrapbook for all of your rock band memories, but don't let it dictate your wardrobe for cryin' out loud!

Which show is that?

I love Clinton, however I agree that they put some people in outfits not geared for their lifestyle. They put a nursing mom (baby was about 5 months or so) into a cashmere sweater. The mom kept protesting saying that the baby spits up all over her clothes all the time. They told her that's what burp cloths are for and that she can wear the sweater when she's not with the baby. She said, "I'm always with the baby." They still had her buy the sweater.

Guess what I was wearing while nursing a baby? Not a cashmere sweater.

How Do I Look is the show.

Did you see the episode where the woman was something like a vet so dirt was part of the job? They keep putting her in dry clean only pants for work and she kept saying how it wasn't practical.

I know that they make fun of people's clothing choices/humiliate them, but that is part of the premise of the show. However, when I have seen someone get upset and emotional (not the angry 'tude), Stacy and Clinton show real concern and compassion for them.

But come on, some people dress the way they do in large part because they don't have $5000 to spend on a wardrobe.

Theoretically, the rules that Stacy and Clinton give them will work when they get home and buy clothes in the real world.

How much is the $5000 worth if they force you to purchase $100 pants and $200 shoes. The couple of times I saw it they threw away everything the person owned and they bought about 5 outfits.

Do you think they *really* throw away all of their clothes? For some reason, I bet they don't. (but it sure makes it more entertaining to watch, thinking that they do)