Menu

rethinking everything - question about science sequence

I don't want to get into details because it's way too confusing to try to explain quickly, but I'm trying to figure out a non-traditional science sequence for ds.

He's finishing 9th grade and already completed one science credit in Physiology and Health with an A. In theory he should move on to Biology next year, but if I wanted to wait a year before biology, what would be a good science to study in 10th? When I was in high school we did Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics. It seems that nowadays the sequence is Biology, Chemistry, Physics, an AP or nothing in 12th. Would it work to move Chemistry or Physics into 10th, making his sequence Physiology, Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Physiology, Physics, Biology, Chemistry? The other option is to slide something else into 10th like Earth Science, Astronomy, Environmental Science, Forensic Science (ds says he wants to be a police detective) and then miss either Chemistry or Physics.

So is there anyone here who has done an unconventional science sequence? I'm open to ideas, suggestions, comments. Thanks.

He's finishing Algebra I now. Math is not his strongest subject. In fact it's probably his weakest. He's getting a C in Algebra, partially because of sloppiness (those negatives get him every time) and partially because, while he understands the step-by-steps, figuring out the word problems is tough for him.

If he is weak in math, neither physics nor chemistry would be advisable, except if you choose a Conceptual physics or chemistry course.

I do not know what the educational path for a police detective is. If he needs to go to college for this, which I would guess is may be the case, you need to check with the college's admissions requirements and make sure to have the science courses they require.

He is planning to go to college, but we really have no idea to which college, so can't really figure out what would be the requirements for entrance. He wants to go to college in America, but could go pretty much anywhere in the US because we live in the UK. We won't get in-state tuition anywhere, and there's no place that's 'close to home.' So I've just been trying to be as generic as possible in choosing his high school courses. I doubt he'll be going to a highly competitive school, though, unless his motivation level increases dramatically very soon.

The science sequence has more to do with the math they are taking than anything else. High school students taking Biology in 9th are usually taking Geometry (because they had Algebra 1 in 8th), so students taking Algebra 1 in 9th would usually take Physical Science or Earth/Space Science. This is done because most Chemistry courses require Algebra to be completed, and often require it to be taken either after the completion of Algebra 2 or concurrently with Algebra 2. Physics is often only offered as an AP (that's what it is here) and usually requires to be taken after the completion of some sort of advanced math/concurrently with Calculus (not always).

Conceptual Physics could work and would give him a base to build on in Chemistry and/or Biology. I recall some postings about Conceptual Chemistry. This might be work looking at to prepare for Forensics. At some point he could have a science elective (two in a year). Forensics really comes to life with some background in Physics, Biology and Chemistry.

I'd definitely do Chemistry in 10th, then Bio in 11th, then Physics in 12th. If you want an AP science later on, you'd need to double up in 11th or 12th grade.

We've done the first two and are doing physics next year. It's worked great so far. Biology is much more chemistry-heavy today than it was 20-30 years ago. Thus, it goes over better if you have chemistry first.