Menu

Weekend Trip Ideas Needed

AlmiraGulch

This is a complete shot in the dark but I'm hoping someone has some ideas that I haven't already had.

I'm trying to plan a weekend trip for this summer for just my girls and me. I love to travel, and I love travel planning, but I cannot decide what to do for this one.

1. It needs to be within a reasonable driving distance since we'll leave on a Friday and come home on a Sunday. We live in Northwest Atlanta.

2. It needs to not be super expensive. I realize that's objective, but I don't really have a budget. I'll just know it's too much when I see it. For example, I don't want to spend $200+ per night on lodging. That's too much.

Options so far:

Destin - We love Destin, but it's kind of far for a weekend trip. We'd really only have one day there, and so I think I may have to automatically rule that one out. We do adore the Gulf Coast, though. Sigh.

Savannah - I'd almost settled on Savannah. We've been there before on one of these weekend getaways and had a great time. Plus, we could spend a day on Tybee and still get in some beach time. I've almost ruled it out now, though, because I found out the only thing they really want to do there is go to the candy store where they can watch them make taffy. They don't care about and don't really want to do anything else.

Charleston/Isle of Palms - We also did this on one of our weekend getaways. The girls don't remember it much because it was several years ago, and I'd love to go back. It's a bit cost-prohibitive, though, particularly if we stay on Isle of Palms. Is suppose that's not a requirement, though. I don't know. Maybe.

Chatanooga - This is really only about an hour and 15 minutes from my house, so it's a good option. I don't know what to do there, though, besides the aquarium. I've driven through a thousand times but have only stayed there once, and we've been to the aquarium a few times. We'd like to maybe rent a cabin or something but we don't know what to do.

Nashville - Just about 3 hours from my house. Again, we've driven through there a million times but have only ever stopped once, and that was just overnight in a hotel. Is it a good place for kids? I know my husband loves the bar/music scene, but this isn't that kind of trip.

Asheville - I've been there a few times but the kids have not. I like it there, but I've only been on adults-only trips and so I don't know if it's particularly kid-friendly. I'm certain I won't be hanging out at the spa at the Grove Park Inn or doing any wine tasting with my almost-17 and 10 year old daughters!

What else? What am I not thinking of? Why is this so difficult?

By the way, I really want to go white water rafting, maybe down the Nantahala because the Ocoee is too much for my little one, but the girls are mortified that I'd consider putting them in that sort of peril. Whose kids are these, anyway? :glare:

Listening in on this since we are an hour northeast of Atlanta and would like some ideas myself. :)

I could give you several! I just can't seem to figure out one for my own family this time around.

For you?

Savannah is good. We had a great weekend there (I just finished reminding them of the fun things we did).

We actually went one weekend just to Cartersville, of all places. Went to the Tellus Museum and stayed at a historic B&B across from a Civil War Battlefield that we spent several hours hiking through and reading memorials. Went to dinner and rented some movies and had an almost sleepover in our amazing room.

We did Stone Mountain one weekend. We usually go at least once a year, but this time we stayed at the hotel on property and did everything the park had to offer, including the Duck ride, the water slides, all of the little houses and things, the mansion, the mountain, the shop/play area, and of course the laser show. It was fun seeing it from a different perspective, seeing it more thoroughly, and not having to fight traffic in and out. Plus, the pool at the hotel was a nice respite.

Feel free to PM me for more ideas if you want. Why I can think of stuff for other people and not myself is beyond me!

A friend of mine that lives in Atlanta likes to go to Columbia, SC. Her kids are a bit younger and they do the zoo, Children's museum, etc. I was born there but don't know what they have for kids a bit older though.

Are there any state parks within 1-2 hours of you that have cabins or hotels near by?

I've been to all of the places you listed and I vote for Charleston. I love it there. I love the history, the atmosphere, the market area, the beach nearby, and the charm. I think you could find plenty to do.

I was just in Nashville again recently and that would be my #2 vote. Not near the ocean, but tons to do!!!

I would have listed the shopping, but that is great in Charleston and Nashville.

A friend of mine that lives in Atlanta likes to go to Columbia, SC. Her kids are a bit younger and they do the zoo, Children's museum, etc. I was born there but don't know what they have for kids a bit older though.

Are there any state parks within 1-2 hours of you that have cabins or hotels near by?

Thanks for the suggestions! I've been to Columbia, SC several times for work and it isn't really my cup of tea. I think, much like New York City, I've been too many times for work purposes and so now the whole place has a negative connotation for me.

We do have state parks near us, and I would love that, but my kids....not so much. They aren't exactly the "outdoorsy" types. Picky people!

(I really do appreciate the suggestions! It's important for me when I do these things that the trip will appeal to all three of us. I figure they won't be kids for too many more years, so I want these to be fun and memorable and enjoyable, and I want them to also have the thrill of anticipation of the trip, even if they would have fun once we got there. Does that make sense?)

I've been to all of the places you listed and I vote for Charleston. I love it there. I love the history, the atmosphere, the market area, the beach nearby, and the charm. I think you could find plenty to do.

I was just in Nashville again recently and that would be my #2 vote. Not near the ocean, but tons to do!!!

I would have listed the shopping, but that is great in Charleston and Nashville.

Thanks! I'm not into shopping, so that really isn't a consideration. We do love Charleston, but can you tell me a bit about your Nashville trip? What's great about it for kids? Would you mind sharing some of the things you did?

I was actually by myself on a road trip moving across the country... but I've been there a few times. I really love the Opryland Hotel botanical gardens. There is a restaurant there and I think it would be a special place to have lunch with DD. There's also music row, opryland, a show at the grand ol opry, and the Parthenon.

I always always always use tripadvisor.com to show me the top rated attractions wherever I travel. You can use filters to find kid attractions. It has never failed me!