Menu

Life of Fred

Carrie, we tried Life of Fred for awhile. It was a great supplement/review when my kids had already been introduced to the topic, but wasn't nearly as effective at explaining new material. They got frustrated after awhile because they felt the author compromised solid math instruction in favor of storytelling. One of my kids is now using the Art of the Problem Solving books and the other prefers Saxon. Both are very happy with the switch!

While I like LOF a lot, I wouldn't use it as my main math text. I see it as more of a supplement to add some fun. We do it on Friday for our day off of math day and A Beka m-th. I'm sure some people use it as a main text but having done spiraling math programs all along, LOF would be outside my comfort zone as our only math. We love LOF though and the kids beg for more every week so it is definately a great math tool!

We are a college bound family. At present, ds wants to be a mathematicisn. We have used LOF with great success for ds's Algebra I and Geometry courses. It is our spine. It is his favorite math series ever -- and this is a bonafide math geek :) We also splice in NEM by topic for the Singapore Slant on things and a variety of problems. LOF tends to be short on problem sets, though I hear the Home Companion books have additional (we haven't used those yet, but might in future). We plan to follow this same basic approach through Prob. & Statistics, Alg. II, and Pre-Calc. For Calculus, I expect to send ds to the local college, though if that doesn't work out, we'll do LOF Calculus at home, too.

Another poster mentioned trouble adjusting from a spiral method to LOF. That would be a big adjustment. LOF absolutely expects the student to master the topic before moving to the next topic. If you're used to a spiral approach, you'll probably feel pounded upon by the mastery approach. :001_unsure:

And if reading is a problem, LOF is not the curriculum to use. It is reading intensive. There are many different fonts used, and I personally find it physically difficult to read in places (old eyes, ya know). The youngsters here don't seem to have a problem with that :001_smile:

Karen

I think you've hit on something here. I've searched high and low for a math program geared to right brained learners and think I've found it in LOF. These kids *LOVE* the storytelling - that's what engages them. And, I would bet money that anyone who likes Saxon would probably not like LOF. Frankly, Saxon drives us completely nuts around here :-) We're having great success, at this point, using LOF Algebra with the supplemental book.

Cynthia, my son usually likes offbeat resources, and he loved the LoF storytelling. It just wasn't teaching him much math. His reason for "liking" Saxon is primarily because math isn't his thing right now, and Saxon spoon feeds new concepts in such small doses that it doesn't require a lot of effort on his part. If he still had an interest in math, I'm sure he'd have continued to use LoF as a supplement, at least. His twin sister is a mathaholic who makes up her own problems for fun, and she'd chew off her arm if she had to use Saxon. But she has a low threshold for "cute," so she quickly tired of the LoF story.

My dd seems to be one of these. She loves Fred. She's just finished the Fractions book, and I am really, really pleased at her progress. She really understands the math, and she is not a math person--meaning she doesn't enjoy it; she'd rather read all day. She understands the commutative property and doesn't just recite a definition, she really gets it.

For us, we plan to use a mix of Fred and Dolciani from the 60's.

I don't see either as a supplement. I prefer to use 2 texts that teach from different perspectives and Fred offers us a really different alternative that is missing in most math books. It's really good.

Thanks for all the responses! I enjoy them, and also looked over at the threads for the different math, which I don't exactly understand what it is. You all seem to know what it's all about:-) My daughter is in 5th now, so I'm sure soon, I'll be tossing Math Curriculum names around. Before, I assumed that she'd do Saxon, but it's a form of torture to her. (And she's good at math!)

Thanks again!