Menu

Elemental Science or Noeo?

I'm planning my daughter's first grade year and I can't choose between these two! My biggest concern with Elemental Science is that I have to buy a lot of the books separately and some of them seem difficult to find. My biggest concern with Noeo is the quantity of books (seems like too much, reminds me of Sonlight). Anyone have some insight?

The books are easy to find used also...ebay and Amazon has them quite cheap. But if you want to save money check your library or even your home library. ELelmental science can be used with different books, all you need is the topic. If the weeks lesson is on muscles, then find children's encyclopedia or book on muscles (minimal content) I used different books for ELemental Science Astronomy and Earth and never had problems.

I never used Noeo but ES is extremely easy to use. At most 15 mins a day. Read, narrate and cut and paste(or draw) with an experiment thrown in each week. You can add to it with ease if your child wants more with library books and extra experiments from the Jan Van Cleve book.

Did you and your children enjoy Elemental Science? I've read so many mixed reviews but I love how it's done so much that I can't bring myself to dismiss it as an option!

IMO, Elemental Science delivers what it promises. You'll see mixed reviews, but if you dig into them, negative ES reviews are generally from those who 1 - don't like the encyclopedia-spine format (of the Classic Series), or 2 - clearly didn't understand what they were purchasing, or 3 - haven't actually used it and thus have opinions based on misconceptions. None of those are the fault of the curriculum.

Carefully studying the samples and researching the required books is the best way to decide if it might be a good fit for you.

We enjoyed the Life Science more then the Astronomy but I think that was because both my daughter and myself are not Astronomy buffs. I even switched curriculum but it was still studying Astronomy and we still did not like it so I do not fault Elemental Science. We did enjoy the life and I have plans on doing the Physics and Chemistry. ES is simple. No bells or whistles. It has short lessons that present info, some may want more then that.

Another plus of ES, costumer service is great and if you email them you will get a response back pretty quick.

We are using Biolgy for the Grammar stage & are happy with it. My son loves science & has asked we read from a more in depth encyclopedia. We also supplement with books from our local library on the topic we are studying. It has been great & I will be using Earth Science & Astronomy next year.

We've only used Elemental Science so I can't compare to any other curriculums. We love Elemental Science though. We've done Intro to Science and Biology. We've only done half of Earth Science and Astronomy, but that is because I just didn't get it out enough. The boys wanted to do it.

I've just signed them up for Chemistry labs for the fall so I've purchased Elemental Science Chemistry and we are getting to that right away. I'll go back and finish Astronomy once we finish Chemistry (so probably next Spring and Summer).

I've found Elemental Science to be easy to follow and implement (you can expand on topics easily if you want more) and the price is reasonable. And...it follows the WTM recommendations. We will be doing physics for the grammar stage too.

Very cool! That looked awfully crafty though. Do you think a non-crafty person, like myself, would have difficulties with the ES experiments?

Not at all! Like I said, my dd did this independently and I helped only if she needed it. I of course took the pictures.....but she gathered and experimented to her hearts delight!