Menu

So...What Occupies You During the Day?

mom2bee

I got the idea from a thread where someone spoke of alternatives to the question "What do you do for a living?" that almost everyone gets asked at some point or another.

So, fellow TWTMers, what occupies your time during the day? (Besides this forum!)

I'll go first:

I am a full time student pursuing double major in mathematics and computer science, I would like to minor in Spanish if I can find the time. --Currently taking a single class this summer.

I am a part time peer tutor who works at my local CC tutoring students in all math classes up to Calculus 2.

I volunteer with various homeschool, religious and community organizations as a tutor/learning coach/reading buddy to spend more time working one on one with kids. I love teaching and helping kids to learn. Its a real passion for me!

I would like to one day own a ferret.

NOTE: I can't remember if there was anything else in my original post, but I have restored the gist of if.

NOTE: I didn't mean to remove this thread. Only the posts I made today that I felt were more hurtful/negative toward someone, anyone. Something happened this afternoon that made me feel very, very sad for about 2 hours and it occurred to me that while I was sulking and feeling sorry for myself, I had offered several words that had stung/saddened someone else just today. This was not a day where I have been proud of myself and I resolved to blot out the unkind words I wrote today. I didn't mean my words to be unkind, but rather than noticing/prioritizing that someone was hurt/upset, I defended my stance and semi-shrugged off their pain.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend too much time online as well. I'm supposed to be working. I'm always supposed to be working, pretty much. Probably because I'm always behind due to internet distractions. Possibly fueled by ADD or other excuse of the day. ;) ... Whether I'm working or not, I like to organize. Whether it's house cleaning, spreadsheet designing, life planning, or finding the way to make Miss A understand math. ... I like to read, but don't have time; so I keep a book in the bathroom cabinet. Right now it's a Churchill biography. ... Other thing about me is that I'm a night person. I get my first wind around 4pm and my second in the middle of the night. Too bad I have kids who need to be at school by 8:30am and picked up before 6pm. No wonder I usually feel like taking a nap. ;) ... I love to travel, especially to developing countries. Now that my kids are old enough to take around, I am starting this again after about 5 years at home. Too bad the kids have to pay full price, though. The other thing I used to love to do before kids was study foreign languages. I have hundreds of foreign-language kids' books waiting for my kids to get bitten by this bug. :)

Hmm...stay at home mom schooling our 2 with another outside student (though her year is done with me) which of course means running them to all their activities...but for myself I do the following when I have time and depending on the weather: training 2 horses and riding the other 2 with my dd, reading, crocheting, scrapbooking, sometimes gardening (as in large vegie garden), but not this year. I do have a few things in some pots though, I am teaching myself violin. Clean my car, mow the yard, and other random things here and there around here :)

By day I am in charge of crisis management for a home based operation that specializes in education and household deconstruction. By night I am a super hero whose only real power seems to be defying her body's need for sleep; just call me The Insomniac. My super human perceptions allow me uncanny awareness of our dogs' need to go in and out of the house, get a treat, have a tummy rub, or have thier toys repaired. The two legged small beings are much more puzzling, but I rub thier tummies daily as well, despite the fact that they groan, "Moooooom", at me every time. :p

See, those education courses teach you how to spin the most incredible bull. :)

I fall into the trap of volunteerism, but with an upcoming move to handle I've put all those to the wayside. Well, not all. I'm a CPST and will continue to assist parents with their car seats/kids' seating arrangements wherever I go.

Now that my son is older I'm taking the time to do something else: create literature guides. And not just guides, but activity based for those of us who need hands on, along with a special format for historical fiction that weaves primary source document data into the guides so students can compare for themselves and work their way through a packet that corresponds to the story.

I don't know if they'll be a flop for my little one, but it's keeping me interested and busy!

What Judomom said, plus phonics tutoring and working on phonics and spelling resources. We also move a lot, with one expected this summer. Even the most vocal anti-homeschooling folks stop when I tell them how often my daughter has moved (although most people I meet are positive about homeschooling.) Because of my food allergies, I do a lot of extra cooking and dish washing, although the children make their own lunch often and help with dishes when I ask them to. My husband also helps out with dinner at times.

Mostly, I move things around...moving dishes from place to place, clothes from place to place, boxes of stuff when we move, etc.

Besides the usual -- homeschooling my youngest in her last year (and almost done!), house chores, working on a variety of projects with my adult children, and dreaming about the next trip I'd like to take -- I'm a speech therapist, occupational therapist, and physical therapist (all self-taught :)) for my dear husband.

I work part-time in a ridiculous job--I'm a dog walker for a private company. I'm not homeschooling anymore, but I love it, and I still want to be around the people I've formed online friendships with here, so here I am, a lot.

I am parenting my kids, grown and ungrown...lol!

I go to prayer on Mondays, take a 4year, 3h a week Education for Ministry Class that involves lots of homework (which I do, most of the time, but not all of the time...), attend church all morning on Sundays, occasionally clean the house/cook/etc, chat with friends, read, watch TV, walk, and generally learn to enjoy and appreciate my life, even if it's not what I've always dreamed of.

I hang around the ranch and mostly do what I feel like doing. I'd don't want a job and I do enough for the guys (helping out with errands, having food ready, etc) that things run smoother with me holding down the fort. And I want to be free to travel if I feel like it.

So I work with the horses, clean and cook, and do lots of gardening.

I am still homeschooling, so that takes a number of hours a day; Less than many on here since I have a high schooler but mnre than I needed to do with my older two kids because of the personality and learning style of the youngest. That still leaves me with many hours to fill- taking care of pets, gardening (mostly ornamentals), running a household, volunteering (tutoring is done for now but VBS is soon to happen and I am in charge of snacks), taking care of my health and dd's health, and reading. When I have the time and energy, I like to cook particularly good meals and that often involves extra shopping. I also drive around a lot but that will be ending soon since youngest will get her dl soon.

4 kids and the accompanying laundry, dishes, shopping, nagging and teaching.

Farm-living. We have 20 something beef cows and 2 dairy cows. Usually I milk each day, but that will come to an end this week as I am in the process of drying her off.

Gardening and yard work along with maintenance of our 42 acres.

Fruit trees to prune spray fertilize, etc.

That's the summer.

Winter, I spend lots of time writing for a content broker site, and of course, homeschooling.

For fun, I like to sew, read all kinds of books and of course, check out this forum. I also enjoy art..drawing with pencils and pastels mostly.

All year long, I enjoy cooking all sorts of food (especially pie. Pie is my specialty), but washing the dishes is nowhere near as much fun.

ETA: I also love to run and do pilates. Mostly so that I can eat more pie.

How I occupy my days...It all depends on the day of the week.

• Some days are spent driving kids around in the car to their activities.
  • I do school with DD-10 and make sure she plays piano.
  • I wash the dishes, make dinner, garden, and do all domestic duties. DH works 14 hr. days.
  • In addition to all of the above, I am responsible for overseeing the website development of our online store front, adding product to this site, getting this site found on Google, and running advertising and social media for this site. I no longer have a homeschool blog, so now I blog about sunglasses and write reviews and product descriptions.

For me I spend a lot of time dealing with doctors, therapists, social workers, etc. as we have 3 adopted special needs kids and 1 foster boy with some needs. Add in lawyers and visits and court hearings I stay plenty busy. I mostly hold down the fort here and do a bit of afterschooling----after 16 years of homeschooling.

We have horses and chickens so I am out doing chores at least twice a day and in the winter it is 3-4 times a day.

In my free time I enjoy riding--alone, with my girls, or with friends. I also enjoy walking with friends and getting a bit of alone/date night time with dh.

I'm current letting a 4 yr old listen to David Tennant read her a story on my iPad.

Sigh. I could listen to him tell me a bedtime story.

Which reminds me I have the newest 2 seasons to watch. That's a real priority. ...

Cattle prodding children to finish their pancakes so we can get some chores and school work done.

I was going to work on setting our pool up but it's thundering.

Maybe I'll work on finishing the table I'm refinishing if I can escape to the garage for 20 minutes or so.

Errands. Haircuts and job hunting teens.

Looking up whole30 recipes on pinterest.

Some late spring cleaning. I need to empty my pantry and repaint it. Shampoo my carpets. Actually there's lots of rooms I need to paint.

Trying to get my teaching mojo back and contemplating next years plans. I already have just about everything. It's the how I want to use it that I'm contemplating.

Spending as much time outside as possible. When done with pool, I need to put in a rock path and build a screen for towels and such to be kept. And an itty koi pond with fountain.

Mostly tho it's just housekeeping and schooling here.

Well...I have a routine. As long as we stay on routine, we're good -- and with plenty of down time for the kids. This is a general outline of our day, but Mondays we have scouts...so it's a bit compacted. Tuesdays (during the school year), we have drama/choir/bells, Thursdays (during the school year) we'll have speech & debate. We also try to work in swimming at the Y 3-4x a week (or participate on the year round team, if we can afford it).

Get Up (wash faces, take am medications, make beds, change clothes, sort dirty clothes, room should be tidy).

Exercise/Activity/Play

Breakfast

Morning Chores (bathroom check/clean, dishes, trash, counters, floor + brush teeth)

School (setting timers, moving from child to child periodically...helping keep kids on task, answering questions, flitting back and forth to the WTM forums and working to enter lesson plans into HST+, writing for various clients/work)

LUNCH

Afternoon Chores (same as morning chores...and giving a thorough cleaning the room of the day as a group)

School (my younger 3 are usually nearly done...so this is project time, art time, older two will have Latin study, I do the same thing that I do during the am school time)

Free Time (older two take turns with the 4yo, so this is my "free-time", too...just means more concentrated time to work on my things).

Clean up for Dinner (room-by-room, making sure everything is put away, obvious messes cleaned up, wash-up for dinner)

DINNER

Evening Chores (same as morning chores, but add brush teeth, shower/get ready for bed/lunch prep if we are going somewhere the following day -- dh runs the evening shift, so that I can work on my projects, and get some quiet time, if needed)

Family reading (30 min.) Kids to bed, (olders may read in bed for 30-60 min.)

Essentially, I'm managing the household...making sure things get done, doing my work in between making sure other work gets done. I have to keep grades for the oldest two now, so that eats into my free time a bit...but I'm never at a loss for things to do. I know it seems like we do a LOT of chores -- but honestly, if we keep on top of the mess, it takes a lot less time...and I'm a much happier mom. We also "school" 6 days a week, and take days off for bigger family projects, community service, and many other special activities (one day a month in DC, another day a month for a field trip with another home school family, scouting trips...)

Changing diapers and wiping butts seems to take up the majority of my days. Maybe that's just because those are the activities I hate the most. :p

Homeschooling doesn't take me too much time, but I am looking to change that and be more RIGOROUS this next year :D

I work from home a couple days a week, for a couple of hours.

I clean and make meals for a couple hours a day.

I am online more than I should be while my kids play within about 5 feet of me.

I wish I led as interesting life as some of you! I'm only homeschooling one now and he does a great majority of it independently. My house is easy to keep clean. I only have teenagers so no more running around after kids. I live in a suburban neighborhood and DH does all of the outside work. (eww.. there are "things" that live outside) I read, hang out here, watch tv, and play games on my wii and computer. I used to be a busy bee with little kids and a bigger house. Things change though.

I work part-time in a ridiculous job--I'm a dog walker for a private company. I'm not homeschooling anymore, but I love it, and I still want to be around the people I've formed online friendships with here, so here I am, a lot.

I am parenting my kids, grown and ungrown...lol!

I go to prayer on Mondays, take a 4year, 3h a week Education for Ministry Class that involves lots of homework (which I do, most of the time, but not all of the time...), attend church all morning on Sundays, occasionally clean the house/cook/etc, chat with friends, read, watch TV, walk, and generally learn to enjoy and appreciate my life, even if it's not what I've always dreamed of.

I want to do EFM but I'm hesitant because of time issues. I work 2 12-hour shifts a week plus homeschooling and I'm not sure if it would be doable on top of that. :-/ Do you think it would be an appropriate class for a homeschooled high schooler?

I wish I led as interesting life as some of you! I'm only homeschooling one now and he does a great majority of it independently. My house is easy to keep clean. I only have teenagers so no more running around after kids. I live in a suburban neighborhood and DH does all of the outside work. (eww.. there are "things" that live outside) I read, hang out here, watch tv, and play games on my wii and computer. I used to be a busy bee with little kids and a bigger house. Things change though.

That sounds really, really nice.

Nagging seems to be high on the list lately! Mostly for DD 17 who never does anything the first five times she is told.

I am pretty home-centered. Now that the snow has melted (this week!) we are cleaning up the garden and greenhouse.

We are doing a modified summer school this year, so my goal is to do school from 9-noon each day. Today is our first official day of summer school and I'm sick so we are already behind schedule.

I need to get the boys signed up for lessons or classes or something for the afternoons.

I think I am pretty much done with my next-year planning, so I can take a break until July which is when I can start ordering.

For fun, I hit the thrift stores and garage sales. I need to hit the home gym.

Guest inoubliable

Fun thread!

Let's see....

Well....homeschooling. That takes up a fair amount of time.

Training my children in the correct temperature of my tea, the exact volume that I expect my movies to be played at, and that particular spot on the arch of my foot during foot rubs. Er, I mean, parenting.

What else... OH! Cleaning! I do some of that. Um... I check in here often, of course. If I didn't post here, then I wouldn't have as many people in my life to tell me that I'm awesome or funny or doing the right thing. So there's that. I don't think I could possibly take care of a ferret, but I do the best that I can by my two guinea pigs. My hobbies include reading, instructing my children in Humanism, cooking fancy French food that I can't pronounce, vacuuming for fun, grooming my eyebrows, and small engine repair.

Gosh, everyone else's life seems so interesting compared to mine. Hmmm...my days are occupied by:

-Laundry: I never get used to the amount. I always feel like I'm always doing laundry.

-Feeding people, and all the planning, prep and clean-up that involves.

-Cleaning: Oh, who am I kidding? I don't do that anymore.

-Following baby around the house and putting books back on shelves, dishes back in cabinets, trash back in trash cans, toilet paper back in toilets (yuck!), etc.

I'm the parent of 5, teacher to 3 and wife to 1. A 24 hr a day job. If I started listing everything I do, it might be never ending.

I would have had an easier time answering that question when I was employed outside the home.

My oldest children just started public school about two weeks ago. I know, I know... but they wanted to try it out after six years of homeschooling. Two had never been, the oldest went to kindergarten. So, it's changed a lot. I wake up and get the kids ready for school and take them while dh stays with the baby. I come home and take a shower. Sometimes, I go back to sleep (if the baby is still asleep), other times I stay up. The baby and I don't do much. We run errands. I clean up the house. Lately, I've had a ton of errands that take up a lot of the day. Once I have less errands to do, I will just clean even more. Once school is out, the baby and I go get the other kids. Sometimes they play outside. Showers, dinner... the whole bedtime routine. Wait for dh to get home from work. That's about it.

I have to start researching a math and language arts program that I can do with dd. I feel she needs a little more. So, even though I didn't plan on it, we'll be doing summer school at home.

Laundry

School with monsters

Not doing dishes

Self edumacation (EMT recert. coming up, going for online classes to get closer to RN for eventual PhRN)

WTM boards

Speech/occupational therapies

Making excuses to avoid the park, but I'm not doing a good job

In home therapies

Watching neighbors blow up fireworks in their hands; assessing the injuries (all was well); yelling at the moron who tried to argue that the expired nystatin was the same thing as the expired neosporin, then finally giving up and using non sterile gauze and some non expired bacitracin

Researching grammar curric for ds, not going well

Tracking and assessing ds's behavior and skills

Tracking and assessing dd's behavior and skills

Picking things up while the kids put them down (thinking of the gym commercials- what do you do? I pick things up and put them down)

Having a panic attack after realizing that the tree the neighbor is cutting down could land on my truck. Running to move the truck. Listening to the chainsaw into the night. Scared he's going to cut more down. Wondering the fate of my poor truck