Menu

How can I get rid of rats?

mo2

How can I get rid of rats without accidentally harming my dogs or cat? We have sealed up any entrances we can find, used repellent, glue traps, and snap traps. I really dislike the idea of poison, but it may be getting to that point.

A bazooka? LOL I've dealt with mice, but never rats.

They do sell those spring traps for rats (they are big). At least that way you wouldn't have to use poison.

You think like me. :) I told my daughter that I thought rats would make good target practice for her BB gun.

I think I would only need to put poison in the attic and under the house as well. My landlords *say* there is no way my pets can get under the house, but I'm just not sure, you know? My father-in-law points out that this would be the wrong time of year to use poison (summer in the Midwest with no A/C...yeah). But I've GOT to get rid of them. I feel so...dirty. :ack2:

I think I would only need to put poison in the attic and under the house as well. My landlords *say* there is no way my pets can get under the house, but I'm just not sure, you know? My father-in-law points out that this would be the wrong time of year to use poison (summer in the Midwest with no A/C...yeah). But I've GOT to get rid of them. I feel so...dirty. :ack2:

Your FIL has a point. We tackled our problem in the winter. Not sure if the coffee grounds would have been strong enough in the summer. On the other hand, maybe you'll have a shorter period of funky smell.

Oftentimes cats kill rats. I know some people think cats don't belong outside, but I once read an article about a community using feral cats as rat control. ( At least I think I read that...I have very vivid dreams, so I could have dreamed it. ;))

If that seems wrong to you, what about those sticky traps placed around any areas you think are attracting them. They can't cross. Of course you need them to be where you can get the rats, otherwise they could die where you can get to them.

I just got a Rat Zapper. . . don't know if it works yet.

I also have poison that is in the black containers that is too small for pets to fit (unless your dog eats through plastic).

Barb

My dog would definitely chew through plastic. Will have to google Rat Zapper.

Oftentimes cats kill rats. They don't usually eat them, however. <gag> I know some people think cats don't belong outside, but I once read an article about a community using feral cats as rat control. ( At least I think I read that...I have very vivid dreams, so I could have dreamed it. ;))

If that seems wrong to you, what about those sticky traps placed around any areas you think are attracting them. They can't cross. Of course you need them to be where you can get the rats, otherwise they could die where you can get to them.

I have an outdoor cat. He does eat rats, and so does the dog. I just don't have *enough* of them to control the problem. I have tried the sticky traps...using the ones designed for RATS, not mice, and the rats had no problem getting out of them. They just left bits of fur behind. Yuck.

Have you removed all pet food from outdoors, and sealed up all food inside? Can you search for holes or other entry ways inside? Many times it's by the dryer vent. I'd never use poison for large rats--your home will stink for weeks, maybe months, and I can't fathom how even a ton of coffee grounds would hide that! I'd place the sticky traps(or snap) along walls behind appliances, or in the attic, depending on where you see them. Maybe double up to make them twice the width. There's some sort of sound emitting device that supposedly works to repel vermin, too. Good luck. We used to get mice indoors, and believe me, a regular size mouse can leave a lasting smell for weeks.

Believe me, we have sealed up holes. They just chew news ones. We have put the pet food in a metal container with a lid. We have used sticky AND snap traps. The sticky traps are worthless. The rats just drag them around and then free themselves. We caught a few with snap traps, but then the rats apparently learned to avoid them. We have the sound device you are talking about, a Pest Chaser I think, and it always seemed to work for mice but doesn't affect the rats. I just don't know what else to try.

The rats are attracting the snakes. If there are enough snakes they'll eventually take care of the rat problem.

Something is attracting the rats. Do you have any really messy close neighbors?

I live on a farm. We have a chicken coop. The farmer next to us stores feed uncovered in a shed next to our house. We're surrounded by cornfields.

Hmmm . . . I grew up on farms (both sets of grandparents) and they never had rats. Field mice, sure. But not rats. But then I don't ever remember feed being stored uncovered. So maybe that's it?

I don't know. Maybe. Either way, they're here, and I need to get rid of them. Blech.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear in my point -- I think to get rid of the problem permanently you've got to take care of whatever it is that's attracting them to the area. Otherwise you're fighting a losing battle, because new ones will just keep coming in.

You really need to get the neighbor to seal up that feed. Why in the world would he want to store it uncovered, anyway? That's an invitation to vermin and moisture that could contaminate the feed.

Would it help if you offered to purchase metal lidded storage containers for his feed? You're spending money on rat deterrent devices anyway, might as well try that. Maybe even see if he will pay one of your kids to keep the shed swept and tidy for him.

I don't think the rats are going to go away as long as the buffet is open.