Menu

honorsociety.org - legit or scam?

regentrude

DD received an email to her university email address, inviting her to join honorsociety.org

https://www.honorsociety.org/

based on her performance. She does indeed have a 4.0 in her university courses, but the entire thing looks a bit strange. There is a website, but I do not quite see what the membership fee is buying, and whether this is in any way actually an honor or just a scam.

Anybody familiar with this organization? Thanks.

Skip it. And Unfortunately what I've been seeing happen is that students get inundated with so much junk honor stuff that they sometimes are burned out and don't bother to join the groups that really are a good honor!

Worth joining:

Phi Theta Kappa (for community college students some good transfer scholarships)

Phi Beta Kappa (the most respected honor, but not every college has a chapter)

Major related honorary societies (example Pi Mu Epsilon for math). These are often good for access to information about conferences, scholarships, etc.

Skip it. And Unfortunately what I've been seeing happen is that students get inundated with so much junk honor stuff that they sometimes are burned out and don't bother to join the groups that really are a good honor!

Worth joining:

Phi Theta Kappa (for community college students some good transfer scholarships)

Phi Beta Kappa (the most respected honor, but not every college has a chapter)

Major related honorary societies (example Pi Mu Epsilon for math). These are often good for access to information about conferences, scholarships, etc.

Thanks, Barbara. That is very helpful advice.