Menu

Migraine sufferers who take 400mg of Vitamin B2 daily

freeindeed

It's water soluble, so you'll just, you know, pee out any excess. And there is no tolerable upper limit set for B2, because you can't really overdose on it.

ETA: I don't have migraines, but I do take a massive super B complex vitamin each day. ;)

It works about for 2/3 of people. It was suggested to me by a neurologist when my migraines started becoming much more severe and longer (like for three days). Since I have many drug allergies and am on many medications, he thought it would be good for me to try this. He had read the study in Lancet, the British medical journal. It worked quite well. My migraines became much less frequent, not anywhere as severe, and certainly shorter. It didn't completely take them away from me but as I have heard, other more serious medications don't do that necessarily either. The only side effect is make your pee bright orange.

This is the first I have heard about the B-2, but it sounds like it would be worth a try. Do you have to take megadoses of it in order to get results?

The thing that has helped me a lot was suggested on this forum a while back, and I would love to give thanks and credit to the person who suggested it, but I didn't try it right away, so I forgot who it was :blush: -- but she suggested taking magnesium supplements every day as a preventative. I still get migraines, but now they are far less frequent and far more manageable. I used to get the 3-days-of-misery variety with all sorts of fun stuff like nausea. Now they still last a few days, but are more "in the background" if that makes any sense. They can still get kind of nasty, but I'm not stuck in a dark room or anything like that, and I'm able to function relatively normally.

I used to take B-50 pills a few times a day, but haven't done that for years. Maybe I should start again!

Guest Sandra in TX

Where do you find b12 in that kind of dose? I just pulled my bottle of B12 out of the cabinet, and I would have to take 400 of the 1000mcg pills to get 400mg. A quick scan of amazon and cvs.com didn't turn anything up.

Where do you find b12 in that kind of dose? I just pulled my bottle of B12 out of the cabinet, and I would have to take 400 of the 1000mcg pills to get 400mg. A quick scan of amazon and cvs.com didn't turn anything up.

I think she's suggesting B-2, not B-12. I read it wrong the first time around, too!

Yes, it's B-2. I ordered mine from Amazon. I also take magnesium daily. I have been eating low carb for three years, which has helped, but now I have just started the migraine elimination diet found in this book: http://www.amazon.co... david buchholz. Someone else on the boards recommended that book to me. Also, I have Imitrex and Maxalt to take when I get migraines, but I am trying to prevent them. I am also on Inderal daily (as a preventive) but am weaning off Amitriptyline (as a preventive) b/c it caused me to gain twenty pounds.

ETA: I drink lots and lots of water, too. Like all day long. ;)

Dehydration is also a migraine trigger.