Menu

S/O from Wendi -- Do you ever school "off-site?"

We do and love it. Of course, it depends on the kind of day we're slated to have but we really enjoy a change of scenery from time to time. Our favorites, in order of preference:

Coffee shop (owned and operated by a young homeschool grad!)

park

library

We've threatened to school at the Y. Last year we took some study/memory work (printed off and sealed in ziplocks) to a local Y with an incredible indoor pool. It has a really cool play structure, small slide, huge slide, different play areas, current loop, et c. I took her spelling words, some math, et c and she had to spell/solve/recite/et c to advance up the stairs to the slide or take a giant step to the current loop, et c. It was a great time and we kept saying that we'd have a morning of school there but never did. I'm sure we will this year, though.

So, do you school "off-site?" What are your favorite places? What kind of places seem friendly to the idea and which ones not so friendly?

hotel rooms, airports or on public transportation while traveling. We are pros at "homeschool lite", but as my girls get older we are not going to be as "lite".

Since homeschooling we've traveled to New Zealand, Taiwan, France, Italy, Monaco, Hong Kong and numerous places in the US. We frequently travel to a city approximately 4 hours from our home where my dh does quite a lot of business.

We stay soooo much more focused.

Isn't that funny? The first time we went to the park for school it was really b/c we desperately needed a bread but we also needed to get some things done. We went for a much needed break from our four walls and found that we really focused better than I imagined. From there I decided to give it a try again and voila! we had stumbled onto something grand!!

Two of my kids have been in Speech and occupational therapy for several years. So we do a lot school work in the hospital waiting room. We also have "van school."

And because two of the boys have speech at our local school...we have "school" at the school. I told the principal that we needed a place to work for the 2 hours each week that we are in the building. He set us up in the library. My kids get to watch the school plays, see their neighborhood friends, and even check out books.

The teachers don't even blink an eye at us. It's so funny.

However, their favorite place to have school is Grandma's house. She's my substitute teacher and loves it as much as they do.

I've taken my kids to the library, but it wasn't just to get out. :glare:

We were renting and one of the neighbors was getting a bit to friendly... always stopping by when my dh wasn't home, offering really big hugs in 'greeting'... I just didn't want to be there. So we discovered the library for a little bit. He got the picture and disappeared, and we found another place to homeschool. We used one of the little private rooms and it worked pretty well. Although my youngest was a bit louder than I liked.

I recently tried it again at the library. I put the older two in a room, the next at an open table, and the youngest in a read aloud group for toddlers... and I just bounced. It worked.

I've thought about a coffee shop but haven't tried it yet. My 13yog tends to not want to be out during school hours (if you kwim?). But I may try it again this year anyway.

.... Great post btw. I like reading everyone's ideas for this, both pros and cons. If there are places that aren't as friendly, I'd love to hear about it instead of finding out the hard way!

.... Great post btw. I like reading everyone's ideas for this, both pros and cons. If there are places that aren't as friendly, I'd love to hear about it instead of finding out the hard way!

Well, just to let you know, I have only ever gotten positive comments.

I've never gone anywhere with a waitress. I'd feel bad about usurping her table, especially after my sharing/tipping thread! ; )

Oh, yes, this is my favorite thing to do. Parks, nature centers, anywhere outside. We have our own spot down by the river with a shady picnic table. It's nice to get out of the house, enjoy some different scenery, and be able to do something fun afterwards.

I do condense school on those days, so we're not lugging a full backpack. We just do more work in fewer subjects.