Menu

Downloadable animal classification chart???

I have been searching for some sort of chart that will cover at least Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order . A chart that will tell how to place an animal each section. In other words How-to for Dummies. I NEVER had any of this in school and have been having a hard time getting past the basics to teach my dd. Is there something downloadable that I could use? If not, what do you use?

I tried to find something about a year ago, and had quite a difficult time. The problem is that the classification system seems to be evolving as well! There are various philosophies about how life should be classified. It seemed that every site had a different system. I resorted to a few different resources. One was the Rainbow Science text, one was wikipedia for the various life forms we were researching, and my favorite was this book.

We were just talking about this topic in the science rotation thread.

Science Matters 2nd edition has a balanced introduction to the controversy and changes. I'll bet you can get it from your library. There are those that believe teaching the 5 kingdoms is "wrong".

You should be able to find something in any older encyclopedia set at your library. Is it still on the online encyclopedia sites? Do you have free access to them, through your library card? If not I'll bet there is a password on your local PS website, that you won't feel guilty using.

When we were doing Apologia, I created a very simple printable which is available free here.

That looks very simplistic, and is exactly what I need! Thank you! While I do not currently own Apologia the books are on my short list for science. I used the hs ones for my olders and am considering the elem ones for my littlest one.

Looks like you have a lot of goodies on your website! I love the elephant comparison sheet. We did something like that with one of our FIAR rows, but your sheet is so much nicer. =)