Menu

What's with the ads?

Greta

Is there such a thing as a high-school level *general* science textbook?

In other words, not a biology textbook, or a chemistry textbook, but one textbook that covers the basics of all the major branches of science?

The Joy of Science by the Teaching Company is touted as college level lectures, but it can be a great organizing tool especially if used in conjunction with the text the lecturer co-wrote.

Text = The Sciences: An Integrated Approach by James Trefil and Robert Hazen

• Like 1

Another option for a college textbook: Conceptual Integrated Science. My stepdaughter used this text last year in an introductory science course for education students.

Also, in most Canadian provinces, students take general science in 9th and 10th, then pick one or two areas to study in 11th and 12th. If the college textbooks are too much, a 9th or 10th grade textbook might be a better fit. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I believe our schools use McGraw-Hill.

• Like 1

This is the textbook I used when I taught Grade 9 Academic Science in Ontario:

http://www.amazon.com/SCIENCEPOWER-9-Ontario-Edition/dp/0075603616/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369517761&sr=8-1&keywords=0075603616

Grades 9 and 10 Science are integrated as Myfanwy stated. Each year, the students cover 4 "strands" - biology, chemistry, physics, and earth/space science.

The text I linked above is OK but not superb. :) I've heard good things about the Trefil integrated science text mentioned by Nscribe above but haven't actually had my hands on it to check it out.

For some reason, the school switched to Nelson for Grade 10 science:

http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Education-Secondary-Science-10/dp/0176075011/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369518000&sr=1-4&keywords=nelson+science+10

I actually preferred the McGraw-Hill texts for all the secondary sciences. Here's the McGraw-Hill Grade 10 text:

http://www.amazon.com/SCIENCEPOWER-10-Ontario-Edition/dp/0075603632/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369518236&sr=1-1&keywords=0075603632

• Like 1

Thank you, Connie!

This has been such a huge help. I was starting to think that what I wanted didn't exist. But you have given me several options. I really appreciate everyone's help!

I should add a bit of a warning, though - I don't know how US colleges would view two years of "integrated science" if you chose to do it for both 9 and 10. In Ontario, all students must take 3 years of science in high school - Grade 9 Integrated, Grade 10 Integrated, and then at least one Grade 11 Science which could be Grade 11 Biology, Chem, Physics, or Environmental Science so our science sequence in high school is quite different. If you choose not to do the typical US high school science sequence, your dc may have difficulty if they choose to apply to college. I can't say for sure - being from Canada and all :) - maybe someone from the States could better address that.

• Like 1

Connie, thanks, I really appreciate you mentioning your concern. College admission requirements are a huge concern for me too! I should have explained my situation in more detail. I'm actually looking to use this with my 8th grader next year, to get her ready for high school level science. We've always done science in a pretty informal, interest-led, topical kind of way. Her Dad and I both have science backgrounds, so it was the one subject where I felt comfortable doing that rather than using something more structured. She loves science and does really well in it. BUT now that we're getting closer to high school, I'm concerned that I may have unintentionally left some gaps. So I thought it would be good to spend 8th grade using a textbook that covers all the bases, so to speak, to make sure she's got the foundational knowledge she needs to do each field of science more in-depth in high school. But when I tried googling for 9th grade level general science texts, all I was finding were things like biology or earth science, rather than one book that would cover all fields, but that we could still manage to get through in one year.

I found the text that klmama mentioned at such a fantastic price that I couldn't resist ($8 including shipping from Better World Books). But it might be silly to attempt a college level text with an 8th grader! Once I get it, if it looks like it's too much, then I will order one of the McGraw-Hill texts that you mentioned instead, probably the 9th grade one. That probably would have made more sense, but I had already ordered the other one when I read your reply. I'm not usually a spontaneous shopper when it comes to curriculum. But when I find a used textbook at a fantastic price, I usually jump on it. Many times I've gone back just a day or two later to find that the price has increased by 50 or even 100% -- drives me batty!

I appreciate your (and everyone's) help so much!

• Like 1

Connie, thanks, I really appreciate you mentioning your concern. College admission requirements are a huge concern for me too! I should have explained my situation in more detail. I'm actually looking to use this with my 8th grader next year, to get her ready for high school level science. We've always done science in a pretty informal, interest-led, topical kind of way. Her Dad and I both have science backgrounds, so it was the one subject where I felt comfortable doing that rather than using something more structured. She loves science and does really well in it. BUT now that we're getting closer to high school, I'm concerned that I may have unintentionally left some gaps. So I thought it would be good to spend 8th grade using a textbook that covers all the bases, so to speak, to make sure she's got the foundational knowledge she needs to do each field of science more in-depth in high school. But when I tried googling for 9th grade level general science texts, all I was finding were things like biology or earth science, rather than one book that would cover all fields, but that we could still manage to get through in one year.

I found the text that klmama mentioned at such a fantastic price that I couldn't resist ($8 including shipping from Better World Books). But it might be silly to attempt a college level text with an 8th grader! Once I get it, if it looks like it's too much, then I will order one of the McGraw-Hill texts that you mentioned instead, probably the 9th grade one. That probably would have made more sense, but I had already ordered the other one when I read your reply. I'm not usually a spontaneous shopper when it comes to curriculum. But when I find a used textbook at a fantastic price, I usually jump on it. Many times I've gone back just a day or two later to find that the price has increased by 50 or even 100% -- drives me batty!

I appreciate your (and everyone's) help so much!

One other thought I had. :) The integrated science in Grades 9 and 10 in Ontario will only cover a small subtopic of each of the four strands each year. For example, in Grade 9 they would cover:

Biology - Sustainable Ecosytems

Chemistry - Atoms, Elements, and Compounds

Earth/Space - The Study of the Universe

Physics - The Characteristics of Electricity

Grade 10 covers:

Biology - Tissues, Organs, and Living Things

Chemistry - Chemical Reactions

Earth/Space - Climate Change

Physics - Light and Geometric Optics

(The above are the topics for the Academic (university bound) stream. The topics for the Applied (trade school bound or no postsecondary) stream are slightly different.)

The two curricula were altered slightly in 2008 - when I taught, we did Cells and Human Reproduction in Grade 9 instead of Sustainable Ecosystems and I think Grade 10 did Kinematics instead of Light and Geometric Optics. They might have also done something different for the Grade 10 Biology strand but I can't quite remember what. The two links I gave you to the McGraw-Hill texts on Amazon look to me to be an older version so you they may have the old sequence of topics. I have a PDF of the old curriculum document for 9 and 10 Science - I'll try and attach it. If you want to look at the new curriculum document for 9 and 10 Science, here's the link:

http://www.edu.gov.o...ry/science.html

You can access it either as a PDF or in plain text format.

Just wanted to let you know what topics were actually covered. :)

I hear you about snapping up texts for great prices. Sometimes it's worth it even if you only end up using something for an occasional reference. Of course I might be the wrong person to give advice on buying books - I seem to have a (ahem) small problem with book buying. :D It isn't wrong to have every wall that doesn't have a window or door have a bookcase against it, is it?!?!?!? :D :D

• Like 1

Another option for a college textbook: Conceptual Integrated Science.

Seconding this text -- the physics and chemistry chapters are condensed/abridged versions of Hewitt and Suchocky's Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Chemistry texts. The biology section is comparatively light, but you can supplement with Hoagland's The Way Life Works, which is an excellent nontraditional "conceptual biology" text.

Jackie

• Like 2

I know this is an old thread but there is a book or book series to checkou though they are old. Latest version 94 I believe. High School Subjects Self Taught by Lewis Copeland. You could probably use the General Science section as a guide and update etc. I wish there were updated versions of these books. They are pretty neat.

Again I know an old discussion, but I found these general science books. 

This one is old as in the year 2k old.  LOL  Science Spectrum: A Balanced Approached  

AGS General Science though this is for those with a lower reading level I believe

​I remember taking Physical Sciences in high school.  I wonder if this is the same or similar class just with a different name.

Edited by happybeachbum
  • Like 1