Menu

Please help the fashion impaired. . .

Julie in Austin

Well . . . I probably do look stupid, but I wear athletic shoes with no show socks all summer. Yes, even with capris. I have really bad ankles so I have a "prescription" from an orthopedic surgeon to wear supportive shoes all the time or be prepared to deal with the potential consequences. I'd much rather look stupid and keep my ankles intact. And I can't stand to go w/o socks. This post is probably no help to you, but at least it'll give you a bump!

Here's what I want: summer appropriate casual shoes that can be worn with socks--the really short kind. What won't look stupid?

You mean sport socks like these? Or these? Girlfriend, if that's what you mean, I cannot help you. And it pains me to say that, 'cuz y'all know I approve of wearing some sort of hosiery/socks with closed shoes of any kind (unless you're going fishing and you're wearing tennies and you'll be sloshing in water. Then you have my permission to go sockless, lol).

Now, if you mean something like this, then almost any summer-appropriate casual shoe will work. Let's go shopping at the Round Rock Outlets and I'll help you out. :-)

Keds are back in style and comfy. They look cute with the "no show" socks.

They are just sold in you basic colors like they were back in the day in the late '80s and early '90s when I wore them all the time. There are some really pretty styles.

You mean sport socks like these? Or these? Girlfriend, if that's what you mean, I cannot help you. And it pains me to say that, 'cuz y'all know I approve of wearing some sort of hosiery/socks with closed shoes of any kind (unless you're going fishing and you're wearing tennies and you'll be sloshing in water. Then you have my permission to go sockless, lol).

Now, if you mean something like this, then almost any summer-appropriate casual shoe will work. Let's go shopping at the Round Rock Outlets and I'll help you out. :-)

Ellie, I love you!

Don't take this the wrong way, but you remind me so much of my mother. (that's a good thing. She was a wonderful person and I miss her) She was the same way about shoes and socks and hose. :)

Getting on this forum and reading some of your posts is like listening to my momma.

They are just sold in you basic colors like they were back in the day in the late '80s and early '90s when I wore them all the time. There are some really pretty styles.

yes, this.While I personally won't wear this look, it doesn't look ridiculous either.

e.

Unless you have big feet.... I've always thought Keds and similar shoes look ridiculous on my big, narro feet, especially with bare legs. They make me feel like I'm wearing clown shoes. Or maybe that's just me.

Ellie, I love you!

Don't take this the wrong way, but you remind me so much of my mother. (that's a good thing. She was a wonderful person and I miss her) She was the same way about shoes and socks and hose. :)

Getting on this forum and reading some of your posts is like listening to my momma.

You should always listen to your momma. :D

Your mother and I could probably have had a good cry over the way our children have eschewed shoes and socks. :lol: And wearing slips with dresses, but don't get me started. :lol:

Your mother and I could probably have had a good cry over the way our children have eschewed shoes and socks. :lol: And wearing slips with dresses, but don't get me started. :lol:

MY mother ALWAYS wore a slip with dresses and skirts. (even heavy-weight ones like denim) She could not fathom that I preferred a half slip, and only wore it under dresses and skirts that were lightweight.

MY mother ALWAYS wore a slip with dresses and skirts. (even heavy-weight ones like denim) She could not fathom that I preferred a half slip, and only wore it under dresses and skirts that were lightweight.

I dressed my dds with full slips from the time they were, oh, six months old. Really.

I wear slips with all my dresses, including denim. Sometimes it's a half slip, but if it is, then I wear a camisole. The slip helps the fabric of the garment keep from sticking to my skin or my undies :-) or from being itchy, even if I don't need it for modesty's sake.

I think I love your mother. :001_wub: :D

Are Keds really coming back?! I wore those from Jr high til my mid-20's. I used to buy them on sale and keep them until my current pair wore out. :blushing:

I dressed my dds with full slips from the time they were, oh, six months old. Really.

I wear slips with all my dresses, including denim. Sometimes it's a half slip, but if it is, then I wear a camisole. The slip helps the fabric of the garment keep from sticking to my skin or my undies :-) or from being itchy, even if I don't need it for modesty's sake.

I think I love your mother. :001_wub: :D

she was really big on "lady-like" behavior.

She never was bare-legged with dress shoes. It was always hose.

I never once heard her say a swear word or even an euphemism. It was usually "phooey." when she was frustrated.

She said that "ladies" never swore, spit or got tattoos. Nor did they intentionally draw attention to themselves.

I was not permitted to call boys at all. Ever. even when I was engaged to my dh. :)

I think we are soul sisters. I have been teaching my daughter about the importance of the right foundation garment since she was a baby.

Once when I was instructing my dd to take lady like steps and glide in her heels and that we do not stomp like an elephant she responded with "ladies never get to do anything fun." Once I was done laughing I informed her that was not true. If you want to stomp around like an elephant you need to be wearing sneakers.

Your mother and I could probably have had a good cry over the way our children have eschewed shoes and socks.

You sound like my mil who believes that shoes should always be worn unless you're sleeping or bathing. :laugh:

You sound like my mil who believes that shoes should always be worn unless you're sleeping or bathing. :laugh:

Ah, but I'm ok with being barefooted. If you're wearing closed shoes, though, you better have on some sort of sock/hosiery!!

Ah, but I'm ok with being barefooted. If you're wearing closed shoes, though, you better have on some sort of sock/hosiery!!

Dear Momma Ellie:

If you have clogs on (closed on the toes but open at the heel), is it okay to occasionally have no socks or (GASP) nylons in F105 summers?

Please say "yes"

Dear Momma Ellie:

If you have clogs on (closed on the toes but open at the heel), is it okay to occasionally have no socks or (GASP) nylons in F105 summers?

Please say "yes"

ACK!!!! NO SOCKS!!!!

(although I would probably not be wearing clogs in 105 summers, but that's just me, lol.)

ACK!!!! NO SOCKS!!!!

(although I would probably not be wearing clogs in 105 summers, but that's just me, lol.)

Well, even in this relaxed neck of the woods, there are places I cannot wear my sandals and the suede leather mules are a better choice. :laugh:

I think we are soul sisters. I have been teaching my daughter about the importance of the right foundation garment since she was a baby.

Once when I was instructing my dd to take lady like steps and glide in her heels and that we do not stomp like an elephant she responded with "ladies never get to do anything fun." Once I was done laughing I informed her that was not true. If you want to stomp around like an elephant you need to be wearing sneakers.

reminds me of the scene from the Princess Diaries when Grandma teaches Mia how to walk properly.

Well, even in this relaxed neck of the woods, there are places I cannot wear my sandals and the suede leather mules are a better choice. :laugh:

Hmmm....suede leather mules requires something on the feet, I'm sure...