Menu

transcript question

I am trying to figure out how to assign a credit. Each year in high school we did something like this. Abeka Grammar, vocabulary classical roots(1 of them), Literature( extensive reading list anywhere from12-17 books read....). We also did a writing program along with it(like Writing Strands for 9th, 10th grade, Excellence in Literature/Lightning Lit and Lively art of Writing for 11th grade). Would this all be just one credit for English each year or more? Any suggestions.

The question whether more than one credit fro English should be assigned or not is frequently debated on this board, and people have different opinions.

I am firmly in the camp of one English credit per year for homeschooled courses, so that the transcript does not appear padded. A high school English course should have both a composition and a literature component. I consider grammar and vocabulary to be simply part of the composition component.

I would give more than one credit for English per year if the student takes two semesters of college courses if each course merits a full credit, or if the student takes another course with a clearly delineated subject matter in addition to a "normal" English course, if that English course has both composition and literature, and none of the components is being replaced by the additional class: a full creative writing class, for example, or a topics course like Shakespeare's plays, mythology in literature and art etc.

For what you describe, I would give a single credit.

My opinion is that a traditional English class at the high school level includes grammar, composition, vocabulary and literature. So, it looks like you've covered all of those bases and your student deserves one credit of English.

The only time I feel comfortable awarding more than one credit per subject per year is if a student tackles the basics and, separately, an entirely different area or skill. For example, before we switched gears and went to online classes this year, I had planned for my son to do a general English class (with grammar, composition and literature study) for one credit and a separate half-credit course in creative writing.

I am trying to figure out how to assign a credit. Each year in high school we did something like this. Abeka Grammar, vocabulary classical roots(1 of them), Literature( extensive reading list anywhere from12-17 books read....). We also did a writing program along with it(like Writing Strands for 9th, 10th grade, Excellence in Literature/Lightning Lit and Lively art of Writing for 11th grade). Would this all be just one credit for English each year or more? Any suggestions.

Sounds like a solid one credit of English per year to me! Great programs, good coverage in the various areas of English. Good job! :)

(And yes, if you're feeling like you put more time in to earn the English credit than some other credits, English credits usually require a bit more time due to all the reading and writing than, say, an Economics credit.)

Tagging along with a English question. Next year my daughter will take oak meadow English 9, a online mp class covering the Iliad and odyssey and a online bravewriter book discussion and writing class. Should I count the mp towards history? And then 1 or 2 English credits for the OM and bravewriter portion? She will do all the reading for all three classes.

Tagging along with a English question. Next year my daughter will take oak meadow English 9, a online mp class covering the Iliad and odyssey and a online bravewriter book discussion and writing class. Should I count the mp towards history? And then 1 or 2 English credits for the OM and bravewriter portion? She will do all the reading for all three classes.

Hmmm... I think I am probably a "harsh" (lol) person to ask, as I prefer to err on the side of counting too little credit rather than risking looking like I was "padding" the transcript... Also, please realize that I don't know you student's abilities and situation, so my comments are going to be based on what seems like an average amount of work for an average 9th grade student to me. :)

How long are the two Bravewriter classes? Most appear to run 4-6 weeks. Are these longer? How many books will be read in the book discussion class? And how intense is the writing for the writing class?

Also, what is the "mp" online class? (Not familiar with that abbrev.) How long does it last? How much work/what types of assignments will it require? Is it just covering The Iliad and The Odyssey?

I looked at Oak Meadow Intro to Lit. & Comp:

- read 3 novels (Wizard of Earthsea; Animal Farm; To Kill a Mockingbird)

- explore poetry

- read a play/enact a scene (Our Town)

- writing skills through a variety of assignments

- some grammar & vocab

JMO, but that seems quite "lite" in amount of literature to fill an entire year of 9th grade, esp. as Animal Farm is short (a novella), and plays are always short.

If it were me (and I'm working under the *assumption* that the Bravewriter classes are between 4-6 weeks or no longer than one semester long), I think it would be very reasonable to add all of this together and call it a very solid one English credit! :) Reading and working with The Iliad and The Odyssey would be a great way to beef up the "lite" literature from OM. And because the Bravewriter discussion classes are just reading/discussing (no writing) one book a month, that would be nice "filling" -- I personally would not count that towards an additional credit or partial credit unless both Braverwriter classes a full year of additional books & discussion, and a full year of additional writing.

But that's just how I see it. :) BEST of luck as you move into homeschool high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.