Menu

Why do mailboxes cost so much??

Moxie

Mmm...ours gets destroyed every other year or so, and I don't think we've ever paid more than $50-80. The police always want us to make copies of our replacement receipts for the report. We always make our own post too.

Some of the folks in our town have mailboxes that look like little brick houses. Then there are those like ours, which I believe cost $25 including the post. :) The biggest pain in the butt was getting the post into the ground.

We have some friends who bought one of those fancy mailboxes and I have to say it really was a lot nicer--smooth hinges, thicker walls/door, door had a magnetic closure and closed inside the box frame. Unfortunately a garbage truck backed into it and it lost some it's fanciness after that.

We have some friends who bought one of those fancy mailboxes and I have to say it really was a lot nicer--smooth hinges, thicker walls/door, door had a magnetic closure and closed inside the box frame. Unfortunately a garbage truck backed into it and it lost some it's fanciness after that.

Yes, they like fancy mailboxes in my neighborhood. And they still get destroyed periodically. That's why I refuse to get a fancy one.

I'm looking at Lowe's web-site. I'm trying to upgrade from our current RED mailbox. I was just surprised that ANY mailbox could cost that much!

They only cost that much because some people will PAY that much for a mailbox.

If my mailbox ever gets destroyed, I'm making a new one out of a large recylced detergent bottle ;p.

The poles for ours cost around $300. They are made out of wrought iron. Very nice looking. They have to be special ordered via the HOA should one get destroyed. The actual box is around $30 and can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot.

My FIL made himself a mailbox using old car parts. The stand is SOLID metal. If a car drove into it the car would be banged up worse than the mailbox.

I know some places have laws against that now. But he had made it 20+ years ago when someone broke his old one.

My FIL made himself a mailbox using old car parts. The stand is SOLID metal. If a car drove into it the car would be banged up worse than the mailbox.

I know some places have laws against that now. But he had made it 20+ years ago when someone broke his old one.

My grandfather got so tired of kids hitting his box with a baseball bat (down a dirty road, in the country) he got a PO box in town and filled his mailbox with concrete. He laughed and laughed about the punks hitting that with a bat!

My grandfather got so tired of kids hitting his box with a baseball bat (down a dirty road, in the country) he got a PO box in town and filled his mailbox with concrete. He laughed and laughed about the punks hitting that with a bat!

sounds like something from the frugal gazette.

$$ for one oversize mailbox

$$ for one standard size mailbox (placed inside the oversize mailbox, door removed.)

$$ for a bag of concrete (filling the dead space in between)

the pieces of louisville slugger littering the roadway? priceless.