Menu

Could someone please help me pick a "remedial" math program?

ereks mom

One of my students has MAJOR trouble with basics like fractions and percents, and she also needs some consumer math as well as graphing linear equations and geometry.

If you HAD to choose from ONLY these programs, which would you recommend: CLE 700 or 800, BJU Fundamentals of Math (7th), or ABeka Basic Mathematics (7th)?

You make it difficult, but I'll bite. Totally disregard Abeka. It has too much for someone that needs help. I am not overly familiar with CLE at that level. I would have to look at each Light Unit to see what it covered. I am familiar with BJU, and I think it would be okay, but then again, probably so would CLE.

Honestly, and giving you something you didn't ask for, I would use the Key To Series, unless you want a complete year of math. You could remediate what the student needs without other stuff. With the others, you could always skip what you don't need.

You make it difficult, but I'll bite. Totally disregard Abeka. It has too much for someone that needs help. I am not overly familiar with CLE at that level. I would have to look at each Light Unit to see what it covered. I am familiar with BJU, and I think it would be okay, but then again, probably so would CLE.

Honestly, and giving you something you didn't ask for, I would use the Key To Series, unless you want a complete year of math. You could remediate what the student needs without other stuff. With the others, you could always skip what you don't need.

Thanks for responding. We did some of the Key To series, and it went okay, but I prefer to use it as a supplement. So, I've narrowed it down to the programs I mentioned. She does need a full year's credit. She doesn't plan to go to college (cosmetology school instead), but she needs a good, solid basic math program, heavy on consumer math.

FWIW, I understand that CLE Math 800 has a lot of consumer math, but since I've never used CLE before, I'm unfamiliar with the format. She went to PS and used their AWFUL math texts before homeschooling with me this year. I gave her a placement test, and she started the year with TT Algebra 2 (1st edition) and she could.NOT.do.it, so I had her drop back to Algebra 1 and even had to throw in some pre-algebra and basic math because she had no idea how to add & subtract fractions! She struggled for quite awhile, but eventually did fairly well with TT. She has a hard time remembering without frequent review, so whatever I choose will need plenty of review options, whether built in or supplemental. I actually already own BJU Fundamentals and ABeka Basic Math, but I had heard a lot of good things about CLE math and also that the 800 level has a lot of consumer math, so I thought I should consider that option.

I am not familiar with many of the programs that you mentioned and if you don't want my advise, please skip the rest of this post.

But you say you have Keys to..., ABeka and BJU. Is it possible for you to use what you have and if you need an additional supplements, look into Math Mammoths topical units or Contemporaries Number Power. I would use what we have on hand first.

Fractions, Decimals and Percents and such are a huge stumbling block for so many people and I think it is worth it to take the time to work through her trouble area FIRST and FOREMOST.

Buy a couple of one-subject notebooks and have her work thorugh the sections on Fractions, Decimals and Percents in each of the texts that you have. She should work in the relevant section in the Keys to book first, then write up a summary of the process and two examples.

Make her create neat, orderly and legible notes!

Make her create neat, orderly and legible notes!!

Make her create neat, orderly and legible notes!!!

Make her create neat, orderly and legible notes!!!!

Have her use her notes and work out each and every problem that she needs to from the relevant section of ABeka and BJU. Cover one topic at a time and just drill the execution into her head. Have her write down, in plain English, the steps that she needs to take to execute a specific algorithm on 3x5 cards and have her read and review from those flash cards before she begins her homework each day.

Have her write, in plain English, the 'big idea' behind each proceedure at the top and bottom of her notebook pages. It doesn't have to be fancy, but the idea is that she will create her own little Math Manual for her trouble spots. Make her write the notebook neatly!!!

(The concepts are not usually what gets people in my experience it is the execution of the appropriate algorithms. However, and I am probably going to catch a little hive-hell for this, I would put the proceedure over concept at this point! Let her master the execution of the algorithms and the concept will most likely 'click' once she is doing a full study on Business Math.)

People say that practice makes perfect, well...

If you practice sloppily, you will perfect sloppiness!

Remember, it is perfect practice, that makes perfect.

Have her practice perfection!

When she has consistently done work on her weaker areas for several days even just reviewing on the weekends and working 1-3 problems a day, using the correct method will really help her!!!

When she is greatly improved on her weak spot, have her do the intros, a few problems, end of chapter tests and unit reviews from the textbooks that you have on hand. If she is able to pass them all with 85% or greater, then and only then, move her on to the consumer math that she needs.

Just my .02.