Menu

Are educational DVDs eligible for MEDIA rate mail?

Abbeygurl4

This is what the USPS says, but I'm still not clear. The one post office I go to says no the other one says yes.

previous.gif contents.gif blank.gif

<a name="ep998290">Media Mail Service

Media Mail® service has special eligibility requirements for permissible contents. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:

• Books (at least 8 pages).
  • Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
  • Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
  • Printed music.
  • Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
  • Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
  • Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
  • Printed educational reference charts.
  • Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance

with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM 300) 173.3.2, Media Mail Packages are subject to inspection by the Postal Serviceâ„¢. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper rate and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage (DMM 604.8.1).

For more information about Media Mail service, please visit www.usps.com or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). Complete explanations of qualified items may be found in DMM 173.3.2.

Notice 121

July 2008

PSN 7610-07-000-4037

> Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.

I don't think they need to be educational, either. Any old DVD or CD qualifies, as far as I know.

Look here at 4.1e

Sound recordings, including incidental announcements of recordings and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such recordings. Video recordings and player piano rolls are classified as sound recordings.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm

For what it's worth, I just bought a used CD of children's music from a store on Amazon marketplace, and received a note that it would be shipped media mail.