Menu

RR order ready to go... What am I missing?

I'm all set to place an order with Rainbow Resource. It's international shipping, so it works better if I place bigger but fewer orders. Every couple of months I think of something I missed though, so this time I thought I would ask for recommendations first.

I'm ordering more LoF books (to complete the elementary series), the Miquon lab books, and then mostly math manipulatives (it is hard to believe I don't own every math manipulative already): place value strips, number lines, hundred chart, number tiles for the hundred chart, a few different sets of dice, SET game, Kanoodle, Logic Links Puzzle Box, Perplexors Basic, Addition Adventures, and some little geometric shapes.

Our grade one/two math this year is going to be Miquon, LoF and lots of math games.

Are any of these manipulatives not worth it, and is there anything else you would order to go with all of this? Perhaps a math game? Something else you truly love from RR? Something you are going to mention on the boards in two months and I'm going to want to buy it? LOL :willy_nilly:

I only place one or two orders a year, I know what you mean! We finished our last AAS level and have had to wait weeks for the next one because I didn't put it in my last order. I generally order with friends to get us over that $500 threshold if I need something and don't have enough to get to that by myself. It's so fun getting that big box!

I always order art supplies from RR since it's so much less expensive than buying it here. Especially paper...construction paper, watercolour paper, etc. And Sculpey. And then I always add on some games, too. I could get them through Amazon but it's just as cheap through RR. Games like Spot It!, Sequence for Kids, etc.

A few things on my next order that will be cheapest to get through RR or I can only get through them...Beast Academy, Draw & Write Through History, AAS, Geopuzzles, Let's Read & Find Out science books. Story of the World has been cheapest through them too.

Skeeterbug, enlighten me. What's the $500 threshold?

$500 to get to the 20% shipping rate. They have a graduated shipping rate, the cheapest is 20%, but your order total has to be over $500. To Australia anyway, it's cheaper to Canada I believe.

I think that's what I need for the Home Art Studio program. Do you use original or Sculpey III?

I have original Sculpey, I also bought it for HAS but we haven't gotten to any lessons that use it yet. Hope it's the right stuff, I didn't know there was a Sculpey III. Do you know what the difference is?

Sculpey is so expensive here- at least twice as much.

You didn't mention CUISINAIRE RODS!!! Essential to Miquon!

I also order internationally... and always forget something. :huh: I should have posted about it before my big order last week. LOL.

Do you have handwriting paper? For some reason, the Swiss teach kids to write on the weirdest paper... I just don't get it, so I use US hw paper. lol

I have original Sculpey, I also bought it for HAS but we haven't gotten to any lessons that use it yet. Hope it's the right stuff, I didn't know there was a Sculpey III. Do you know what the difference is?

Sculpey is so expensive here- at least twice as much.

It looks like regular Sculpey is the one used in HAS. I've added it to my list along with a set of clay tools.

You didn't mention CUISINAIRE RODS!!! Essential to Miquon!

I also order internationally... and always forget something. :huh: I should have posted about it before my big order last week. LOL.

Do you have handwriting paper? For some reason, the Swiss teach kids to write on the weirdest paper... I just don't get it, so I use US hw paper. lol

I already have the c-rods. Otherwise that would have been a critical omission!

I also have handwriting paper, although ds much prefers to print on unlined paper (like his Mum).

You guys cost me sooooo much money on my "wish list"!! :p

I'd go with the Miquon PDFs - of course, I'm re-purchasing them after having concluded that child 1 & 2 weren't going to use them. BUt I think #3 would do them! Figures huh? At least I have the lab annotations still.

Art supplies? They have white board crayons that I love (maybe I should quit hiding those from the kids?).

I always add games like Spot It!, Perplexus, Q-Bitz, Qwirkle etc to my order. And I pick some Dover coloring and activity books that thematically go with the topics we are currently covering (Sharks, Dinosaurs, Peter Rabbit, American Rvolution etc come to mind). And then, I buy some really fun stuff like smencils, crossover pencil grips, triangular pencils/triangular color pencils etc just because I like them!

I love these RR threads!

I notice they have a few different brands of page protectors. Have you tried others but find this one preferable?

I didn't notice that! I think it was the only one they had when I purchased it (2-3 years ago). It is very nice quality and erases well.

You guys cost me sooooo much money on my "wish list"!! :p

I'd go with the Miquon PDFs - of course, I'm re-purchasing them after having concluded that child 1 & 2 weren't going to use them. BUt I think #3 would do them! Figures huh? At least I have the lab annotations still.

Art supplies? They have white board crayons that I love (maybe I should quit hiding those from the kids?).

Where do you buy the PDFs?

(OT, sorry, lol)

Apparently it is dangerous to ask these types of questions! Now my RR cart is overflowing. Thank you all for the awesome ideas!

Is there something about this time of year that makes you want to run out and purchase curriculum and supplies? I've reevaluated our choices over the last month and have made fairly huge changes (all of which required a lot of purchases). Hopefully I don't change everything up again once the summer ends.

Where do you buy the PDFs?

(OT, sorry, lol)

http://www.currclick.com/index.php?keywords=Miquon&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=&sdate_from=&sdate_to=&stime_from=&stime_to=

I bought First Grade Diary and Annotations as PDFs but was planning to buy the colour books as workbooks. Although I was also planning to rip out the pages, so maybe I would be better off just getting the PDFs and printing them.

These look much more interesting than the ones I had planned with my order. Thanks!

How big is the large cube?

I will check tomorrow and let you know.

RR has Mummy Math: an Adventure in Geometry, another favorite of ours.

OP, forgot to add - I love the C Rod organizer tray and the C Rod centimeter track I bought 2 years ago from RR. They are nifty and bought them to make my order reach free shipping limit. You don't need them, but they are cool to have and my DS loves both of them - he especially used to dump out the rods and sort and organize them in the tray as a game when he was 3 years old.

Blank books - Ds8 loves them.

Balance Benders, Perplexers, and other logic books

Harmonica

Catapult

Large sheets of cardstock

In my most recent order, I got Dd3 some Kumon books, TOPS science task cards, Spencerian handwriting books for me and the kids, owl pellets, Greek Hupogrammon books, Draw and Write through History books, CWP6, and bits and pieces for programs we already have.

What about a Lay'n'Go mat to store all those manipulatives? See my love-fest review on the RR site. :) http://www.rainbowre...&category=10487

ETA: I do not receive kick-backs from this company (but sure wish I did!)

Oh my gosh. I need these. I want to SELL these.

OP, forgot to add - I love the C Rod organizer tray and the C Rod centimeter track I bought 2 years ago from RR. They are nifty and bought them to make my order reach free shipping limit. You don't need them, but they are cool to have and my DS loves both of them - he especially used to dump out the rods and sort and organize them in the tray as a game when he was 3 years old.

So what you are telling me is.... do not throw away the c-rod organizer tray that came with my blocks (and point out that we are missing ONE WHITE CUBE)????? Sigh, the OCD part of me likes them all organized, the rest of me hates trying to figure out where to PUT IT. I about how myself talked into just dumping them into a box....