Menu

How many read-alouds should I plan for my 1st grader?

mo2

Guest 4boys

I personally buy lots of books. My kids love when I read to them and anything we don't read during the school year, I'll probably just keep reading over summer or save for the next year. IMO, you can't have too many! Or, you can always pass on what you don't use or like.

It really depends on how long the read alouds are. Don't buy too much... you could end up with books your DD doesn't like, or too many to get to, and then they will not be appropriate for next year. You can always get more.

I usually plan half of what Sonlight schedules, and we end up reading about half of that. But some read alouds take no time at all. I plan about 6-10 pages a day depending on how full the book is, and go from there. I hope that helps, though it looks really confusing, lol.

We're able to manage about one read-aloud per week with ds (that I pick...this doesn't include bedtime stories and such). For instance, we're reading Stuart Little this week, and I read 3 chapters per day. There are a few that I'll spread over two weeks. I think it depends on how much reading time a child is able to tolerate too. Some are able to sit for readings for much longer (actually, sit isn't a good word...my son is allowed to play quietly as long as he is listening).

I guess it depends. We read at least 4 to 5 books a day. This also includes reading a chapter out of a longer book, such as "The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie the Pooh".

My son gets 2 books at bedtime, and usually 2 during the day, as well as poems and certain read-alouds during HSing time. We haven't read any long books that take more than a short reading session yet. But, as I said above, we have been working our way through "Winnie the Pooh", chapter by chapter, usually one a day or every other day.

What matters is how much your daughter likes being read to, and how much you enjoy reading to her. I love the cuddle time we get with reading, and plan to increase the time spent in reading aloud together.

My ds also in 1st grade is not a fluent reader by any means yet. I have started reading the boxcar children mystery's to him. He's hooked! We read 3 - 4 chapters a day because he can't wait to find out what happens.

This has really made him desire to read himself.

I would suggest finding books she really enjoys and it will show her how much fun reading really can be.

My suggestions would be some of the old classics: Boxcar children, The Bobbsey Twins, Trixie Belden, even venture into a few Nancy Drew (I'd read those slower perhaps 1 to 2 chapters a day). Anything that hooks her into reading!

It just depends how long the books are. With my 6 year old, we have read alouds at bedtime, for anywhere from 30-75 minutes. We probably average 45 minutes. Most of these are chapter books and not picture books, at ds's request, and we generally go through 2 books at once, 1-3 chapters each.

Do you need to plan the number of books you'll be reading aloud next year? If you're reading as much as you desire each day, then that is all that you can be doing. Having a set number of books planned won't change that.

I can see having a list of books that you want to read aloud and working through it as a goal. But working through chapter books to simply complete a certain number sounds stressful. I think scheduling the amount of reading, like twenty minute segments or an hour each day, would be more beneficial. That's the example that most of the responses have been.

I can see having a list of books that you want to read aloud and working through it as a goal. But working through chapter books to simply complete a certain number sounds stressful. I think scheduling the amount of reading, like twenty minute segments or an hour each day, would be more beneficial. That's the example that most of the responses have been.

:iagree:

For me it's too difficult to say "x number of books a week/month/etc." because each book is so different. One may be 75 pages, another 500. One may be a book written to be read by a higher grade level which is instead read aloud to them (rarely is this the case because I believe generally the topics are inappropriate and the language is either staid or unremarkable - either way these are "quick" reads). Another may be a book that needs to be savored for its language and imagery, or a means of opening a discussion - both of which are "slow" reads.

One thing I am definitely finding, my read alouds are like fine dining. It is worth it to enjoy the rich flavor and explore the subtlety and nuance of a few excellent books rather than glut on the marginal, all-you-can-eat buffet of an excessively long book list.

Do you need to plan the number of books you'll be reading aloud next year? If you're reading as much as you desire each day, then that is all that you can be doing. Having a set number of books planned won't change that.

Actually, I was putting together the list of books I want to read this year and was just wondering what was a realistic number of books to put on this list. There are so many good books out there, it's hard to narrow it down!