Menu

Any hs'ers in Grand Rapids/Holland, Michigan?

Mrs. Lilac

We live in Kentwood which is a suburb just south of Grand Rapids.

However, my kids are only 2 and 4 so we don't really participate much in any homeschooling activities yet.

I love the Kentwood area. It is very family friendly - lots of great libraries, a ton of walking/biking trails, lots of parks and family activities. The Grand Rapids zoo (John Ball zoo) is okay - not very big or anything to write home about, but it is pretty cheap and they offer cool summer classes. The Grand Rapids Children's Museum is big and full of a ton of neat hands on activities. We take the kids to the Meijer Garden a couple times a year - almost always once in the spring to see the butterfly exhibit.

You should check out the site for the homeschool building in Wyoming (just west of Grand Rapids):

http://www.homeschoolbuilding.org/

They have a homeschool book store there, they offer some classes, and online they have pages of links to other homeschool activities in the surrounding areas.

Wendy

I'm just finishing up my first year of homeschooling in the Alger Heights area in the city of Grand Rapids and have been thrilled with all the hs offerings. My son did a hs PE class this year and will do a hs art class next year. We have also been happy to find a couple of families at church and in the neighborhood that homeschool. Homeschooling is quite normal here, at least in our circles.

Overall, Grand Rapids is a great place to raise a family. My husband and I moved here from Boston seven years ago and have loved all the access to nature, the low cost of living, and the hassle-free cultural offerings (no lines, easy parking, etc.) The only two things I haven't been thrilled with have been the cloudy winters and the sometimes-insular Dutch Reformed culture. For the most part we have been welcomed warmly, but the degree to which people know each other and are related is sometimes a little astounding, at least in my little corner of GR. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. :)

I am in the greater Grand Rapids area and just getting ready to start our first year of HS. There is a large HS community here. I 2nd the Home School building they can connect you with many groups and resources. I am luck enough to know a couple HS Moms to get me in the loop :) Yes there is a large reformed culture hear and lots of tall Dutch blonde folks lol I am none of those but it is a wonderful place :) We are joining a Catholic Co-op and there are 60 families in it :)