Menu

anyone create the own spelling lists from ETC ? or a place to find word lists

I am wondering if anyone else has taught spelling by pulling words from ETC then used the list to do a traditional "weekly spelling list / test" with the list you created from ETC.

I am thinking of doing this for the fall for spelling -- and useing something like http://www.spellingcity.com to make up the activities for the week.

Wondering if anyone has done this before --

Wondering if it is a bad idea or...

or does anyone know a place to find word lists -- by spelling / phonic rule? I can make the activities up myself (on spelling city) but i need a set of lists based on phonics / spelling rule. i hate to try to make them on my own, i fear missing something.

I found this web site invaluable when I was creating my spelling program: http://morewords.com

you type in your search criteria and it generates a list of all words that match your criteria.

If you are looking for all words ending in 'ch', for example, you would type in *ch (asterisk before the ch) and it will generate a list. Or, say you only want to find words that have exactly 2 letters before the 'ch', you would type --ch (2 dashes {one per desired letter} before the ch).

Another example: If you want to find all words starting with 'dr', type in dr*.

Anyway, it's a great site for generating spelling lists. The one limitation is that it won't generate a list that has over 2,000 words (for example, if you are looking for words beginning with the letter 'a'). For bigger lists, you have to pare it down by being more specific (so, with this example, you might look first for words beginning with 'ab', then words beginning with 'ac', and so on).

I haven't used ETC. My curriculum includes spelling but not sightwords and it became apparent that we needed to start putting more efffort into spelling.My dc are finishing up grade1 with Mcruffy. Until now our focus had been on phonics but as they become fluent readers our focus is now shifting to spelling and writing. I have used k12 reader along with spellingcity for spelling with little success. My dc became frustrated with spellingcity and had never struggled so much with spelling up until the time I tried this.So I started using k12reader to pick 10 to 15 spellling words a week. I wrote a list of the words my dc would read daily. I made my own handwriting paper at lotsofkids.com and my dc read and traced spelling words daily. Somedays I would dictate a sentence or two using spelling word or wrote a sentence using spelling word and they copied it. Other days I wrote a sentence and cut it up word by word and had them put it in order.I also cut up spelling words and had them glue them in order. We also did pretest. I would fold a paper in 3's, number it and give a pretest. they would open up paper to second fold where the correct spelling word would be written. They check for mistakes and write corrections on the 3rd fold. I also gave multiple choice test (exp.some, sum,som) and they would write the spelling words they missed.All these efforts seemed to improve spelling overall.This year I will be using AAS1 and 2 te only to create spelling list. I really wanted somehting that incoporated spelling rules. Mcruffy sells spelling separate at Mcruffy.com. Mcruffy is similar to Rod and Staff or CLP spelling. If you have had success with ETC they also have a spelling series Spellwell available at CBD.You might also want to try soundcityreading.com. I love this site. it is great for phonics and spelling. It might help you create your own spelling list. In fact they have printable word list and it is free.HTH

I found this web site invaluable when I was creating my spelling program: http://morewords.com

you type in your search criteria and it generates a list of all words that match your criteria.

If you are looking for all words ending in 'ch', for example, you would type in *ch (asterisk before the ch) and it will generate a list. Or, say you only want to find words that have exactly 2 letters before the 'ch', you would type --ch (2 dashes {one per desired letter} before the ch).

Another example: If you want to find all words starting with 'dr', type in dr*.

Anyway, it's a great site for generating spelling lists. The one limitation is that it won't generate a list that has over 2,000 words (for example, if you are looking for words beginning with the letter 'a'). For bigger lists, you have to pare it down by being more specific (so, with this example, you might look first for words beginning with 'ab', then words beginning with 'ac', and so on).

cool i had no idea

I like the idea of rule-based spelling, so here's how I did things with my dd as we moved through the ETC books - http://ronypony.blogspot.ca/2011/11/spelling-lessons-with-explode-code.html

This system kind of fell apart in ETC8, and I haven't started it yet with my ds in ETC3, but I do plan to, once his writing is a bit better.

Now that dd8 is finished ETC8, we just moved into Rod & Staff, and so far, I love it. It is list-based and rule-based, affordable with no pointless busywork, but the lists will have to be very heavily modified, because we're not Christian and it most definitely is (Word and Son are taught with capital letters, for instance!). :-o