Menu

Working part time & homeschooling?

Rene'

Lots!

I work mostly from home with some out of home evenings/weekends. There's a group for working moms you might check out in the "Social Groups" section.

I've heard tutoring can be a good job for hs moms. Not bad pay per hour. Some do internet based work. Are you trained in something?

Me! I work 7a-7p every Saturday and Sunday as an RN.

Not much "family time", but I am there all week for my kids and our evenings are free for family things (no homework!). My dh is great on the weekends, he and the kids do alot around the house and go out on adventures. I don't think they miss me at all.

Jennifer

I'm an online retailer, I work one afternoon a week at our local sale barn, and I sub as needed. My homeschooler is 13, though. Obviously my online business can be done quite well within my homelife. Buck likes to come the sale barn with me and earn a few bucks sweeping the bleachers after the sale, or cleaning up in the cafe. And, when I have to actually be gone to sub, he just stays home and does his school work.

When the kids were younger and homeschooling, they had to go with their dad on days when I was gone. Fortunately, ranching is a family-friendly occupation, so it was easy to do that.

Are you trained in something?

I have retail experience. Before I became an at-home mom I was an assistant manager at a home decorating store. So I'm looking for work along that line. I'm wondering if bosses are generally okay hiring homeschool moms who want nights and weekends.

If you search the board, you will find that many moms here work.

I teach physics at a university.

Many of the moms in my local homeschool group work. Among the jhobs they have are:

teaching GED classes, childbirth classes, community college,

pet sitting

artisan work and teaching - weaving, pottery, basket making

cleaning houses

I work two days a week at a local school supplies store - Thurs and Sat. Kids are with their dad on Saturday and their grandmother on Thursday. I also do computer work for a local business whenever they have projects going.

I won't sugar-coat it: it's a pain on the arse. But you do whatcha gotta do, right?:)

Oh, and I previously babysat a little boy 3-5 days a week. He came here for 2 1/2, up until he went off to kindergarten. It was a really good option for us.

I'm wondering if bosses are generally okay hiring homeschool moms who want nights and weekends.

You will find that employers in retail, food service, etc. will LOVE hiring moms (aka "grownups") who want to work nights and weekends!

I won't sugar-coat it: it's a pain on the arse. But you do whatcha gotta do, right?

Yup.

I work two to three days a week and homeschool the rest of the time. And I am by myself all week. So no DH except on weekends to help with the house or save my sanity, so I might be a little insane...but I believe it can be done.

What helps:

1) Family support. My mother and my MIL are both in the same town and when I work, they have my dc. My mother homeschooled me and my three siblings, so she can be trusted to look in and make sure that if the boys have work to do when I'm at work, they do it. I'm very, very, VERY fortunant there.

2) Lots of planning. We have a schedule for the days we are at home, and we write down what has to be done on my work days in an assignment book for now. I'm getting ready to start a folder system with a work box for each boy that goes with them on the days I work. I have the housework scheduled and the school day planned and we try to stick with that as much as possible.

3) Having children that are willing to tackle new responsibility for getting work done. Mine are not all that good at it. They are easily distracted by video games at Nana's and by fishing in the pond at Gaga's. But they are learning to do their work without my telling them to do it or being reminded by grandmothers. It's a good thing we started this in the summer when the work load isn't so critical! But I've been proud of their progress so far.

[/size][/font][/color]

You will find that employers in retail, food service, etc. will LOVE hiring moms (aka "grownups") who want to work nights and weekends!

Great! Thank you!!

I think my biggest concern is food. I do all the planning/cooking right now and I have to admit that it's already very stressful for me. My husband is planning to step up and help out more but I just don't know how it's all going to work.

I'm a part-time RN as well and alternate between working Thurs.-Friday and Friday-Saturday. It's a pain but it's also nice to get away for awhile and definitely nice to be able to pay for tutoring, trips, activities, student loan payments (ugh), etc. :) Honestly, the hardest part for me has been adjusting from being around SAHMs who generally enjoy their kids to being with some moms who can't wait to get away from them. Just a different paradigm.

I have done it all 14 years I have home schooled, it can be done, but the trick is dh REALLY stepping up. My dh fixes dinner and gets the kids to bed. Kids have chores that are routine, day in day out so that they are always done. Laundry is a never ending cycle. Anytime you are not doing anything else, make sure the washing machine is running and you are folding clothes ,lol.