Menu

WRTR or Bust for FALL! Who's with me?

mom2bee

I'll be using Spalding again this fall. My oldest is near the end of section W so we'll finish the list partways through the year. We are down to a once a week OPR and once a month WPR (I do all 70 each time); she rarely misses one so I have scaled back on how often she completes these. I'm debating having her do the rule pages again this year; she is very good at listing all of the applicable rules as I dictate her words. I'm thinking I will concentrate more this year on prefix/suffix study and will be helping her apply her knowledge of the rules when she corrects the spelling errors she makes in her writing assignments.

I'm wondering where we should go after we finish section Z? I'll definitely have her keep a list of words she misspells in her writing assignments, but not sure what to do beyond that. We'll continue to use a word study curriculum as well. That's enough, right??

I'll be using Spalding again this fall. My oldest is near the end of section W so we'll finish the list partways through the year. We are down to a once a week OPR and once a month WPR (I do all 70 each time); she rarely misses one so I have scaled back on how often she completes these. I'm debating having her do the rule pages again this year; she is very good at listing all of the applicable rules as I dictate her words. I'm thinking I will concentrate more this year on prefix/suffix study and will be helping her apply her knowledge of the rules when she corrects the spelling errors she makes in her writing assignments.

I'm wondering where we should go after we finish section Z? I'll definitely have her keep a list of words she misspells in her writing assignments, but not sure what to do beyond that. We'll continue to use a word study curriculum as well. That's enough, right??

Well done.: -)

Writing the rules pages in the notebook is different than knowing all 27 rules. And the spelling notebook isn't only the rule pages (I'm sure you know this, but I'm saying it for the sake of Spalding newbies). It's the 7 rules pages plus the spelling words.

Not all misspelled words will have an applicable *rule.* She could, for example, use ee instead of ea in a word; there would be no rule for that.

In schools which teach Spalding, students third grade and above do a spelling notebook every year for several years.

When you give her the Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale test, where does she test?

Well done.: -)

Writing the rules pages in the notebook is different than knowing all 27 rules. And the spelling notebook isn't only the rule pages (I'm sure you know this, but I'm saying it for the sake of Spalding newbies). It's the 7 rules pages plus the spelling words.

Not all misspelled words will have an applicable *rule.* She could, for example, use ee instead of ea in a word; there would be no rule for that.

In schools which teach Spalding, students third grade and above do a spelling notebook every year for several years.

When you give her the Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale test, where does she test?

She tested at grade level 8.4 a month or so ago, if I remember correctly. Basically, at this point she misses several of the words we haven't covered yet and only a couple words from previous sections.

She has completed two notebooks already with all of the rule pages.

I probably wouldn't do Spalding with her again. I'd say she has graduated. :thumbup:

I'd move on to vocabulary. I'd also have her do things like alphabetize her vocabulary words, divide them into syllables, add prefixes and/or suffixes to them, and write their etymologies.

I probably wouldn't do Spalding with her again. I'd say she has graduated. :thumbup:

I'd move on to vocabulary. I'd also have her do things like alphabetize her vocabulary words, divide them into syllables, add prefixes and/or suffixes to them, and write their etymologies.

Awesome. :D. Thanks. She's definitely ready for this sort of stuff. I still might have her work through the last few sections, but if I do we'll probably just keep using her current notebook. She is an excellent speller, and her handwriting is beautiful, thanks to Spalding. :)

I haven't read this thread but I'm going to as soon as my tiny guy is in nap. I'm all in for the Spalding method and intend to use WRTR. In fact, I started my 4th edition today and it's a fast, easy read. =) Can't wait to get my Spalding materials ordered (comp books and a Spelling Assessment Manual). I am not finding it overwhelming at all but that is probably because we used AAS and PHonics Road in the past and I've been dabbling in Logic of English (which I also love but I think WRTR is easier for me to teach to multiple levels and I prefer the Spalding notebook).

I am unsure about a few little things but will read this thread first and finish my 4th edition before asking. :thumbup1:

One itty bitty question ....

Do I have to buy these or are they online for free somewhere? I have this vague memory of some PDF file floating around.

They are in the Spelling Assessment Manual, but yes, somewhere they are on-line.

• 1 month later...