Menu

How Do I Get a Bird Out of My House?

Bootsie

DD just came running downstairs screaming that something just flew in her face. I went upstairs and didn't get a good luck what what it is, but I think we have a bird in the house. DH and DS are out of town and it is midnight. I don't know where it is now. If it is dark outside, is there any good way to coax it out?

Oh, I didn't want to hear "bat." The problem is that it was in our upstairs den area that doesn't have any doors--it opens to the stairwell and then to the living room and kitchen--maybe we will lock ourselves in my downstairs bedroom until the morning.

I'd do that and call an exterminator in the morning. Bats should be handled by professionals. And those suckers can hide just about anywhere during the day. Especially if it get run of the house at night.

I agree. And the exterminator will be experienced at figuring out how it got into your house in the first place, so it doesn't happen again. The most difficult thing will be finding it, because bats can fit into teeny-tiny spaces!

If the bat (really, really hoping it turns out to be a bird, though!) was contained in one room, I'd say to open the window and block the door, but as things are, I would close yourselves in your bedroom as you're planning to do.

And as Chucki said, check your dd very carefully for bite marks. I know it sounds crazy, but you can be bitten by a bat and not even realize it.

The bat is probably completely harmless and wants nothing more than to escape from your house, but don't take any chances!

We had that happen once! Close off the doors to every room to make sure the bat is contained in one area. Open the doors/windows to the area the bat is in. Hopefully, he will fly out. If he stays, eventually he will get tired and stop to rest. You might be able to catch him and transport him outside while he's resting.

We had a baby bat in our house one night. Poor thing flew all over the house for an hour or so, then stopped and laid down in the playroom. I scooped him up with the top of a large plastic box and took him out. He continued to rest on the box top for a while, and eventually he flew away. He was so tiny.

If there is a possibility that it was a bat, your dd will need rabies shots. Do not just check for bite marks and leave it at that. She had actual contact with whatever it is, so unless you find a bird in there, that's the protocol. Bat rabies is the source of the majority of human rabies. Many were adults who didn't think there was any contact. It's not worth the risk.

And do NOT let it out if it's a bat. The bat can be checked for rabies and save you the trouble of the shots.

The actual rabies shot is done with a small needle and is relatively painless. However, you have to go back to the ER on specific days for a period of a few weeks. The human immunoglobulin (sp?) shots hurt. They are given the first time in the buttocks and fortunately not again. The actual rabies shots are given in the arm. Voice of experience here. <_< You have to get the shots in the ER because they are so expensive and private doctors won't carry them. Insurance should cover the costs.

If there is a possibility that it was a bat, your dd will need rabies shots. Do not just check for bite marks and leave it at that. She had actual contact with whatever it is, so unless you find a bird in there, that's the protocol. Bat rabies is the source of the majority of human rabies. Many were adults who didn't think there was any contact. It's not worth the risk.

And do NOT let it out if it's a bat. The bat can be checked for rabies and save you the trouble of the shots.

:iagree: Bat bites can be so small that they do not leave visible marks.

After three days of walking around with a broom, there has been no sight or sound of a bird or a bat; there hasn't been any sign of bird droppings or smell of a dead animal--everything has been checked: behind bookcases, behind the china cabinet, in the closets, and the attic. Our dog, which loves to chase birds, has been inside and hasn't seemed to notice anything.

For those of you who have never lived in this part of the country this may seem impossible, but the best explanation at this point is that it was a giant, flying roach.

…

For those of you who have never lived in this part of the country this may seem impossible, but the best explanation at this point is that it was a giant, flying roach .

:eek: :eek: :eek: (I'm just going to tell myself, over and over and over, she just had a nightmare)