• Dad
    • Da
    • Daddy
    • Father
    • I call him by his given name
    • I can't say in polite company
    • Other - explain in comments

Guest inoubliable

A friend of mine posts on FB constantly about her "Daddy". This woman is late 30s. It strikes me that she's a little old to be calling her father "Daddy". And a little young (since most Southern ladies I know who do this are much older and from a different generation) to be calling him "Daddy". Maybe it's me but it feels like an affectation.

So now I'm curious. What do you call your father?

Me - I call me father "Da". Always have.

I always called my father dad. My sister always called him dad until just shortly before he passed away (he will ill for several months), and then out of the blue she started calling him daddy. The first time she called him that, I had to do a double take and make sure it was still my sister. Maybe she was trying to go back in time?

My father died just after I turned 12. so, I don't call him anything. My mother died in 2009. (a week before christmas. my parents just had to do that to holidays. My father died ON father's day.)

My adult children refer to their dad as . . . Dad. (However, I get everything from mommy, mom, MOTHUUR . . depending upon what type of mood they're in. even dudeling will call me mother. he hasn't watched bambi for years, but he pronounces it exactly the same.)

A friend of mine posts on FB constantly about her "Daddy". This woman is late 30s. It strikes me that she's a little old to be calling her father "Daddy". And a little young (since most Southern ladies I know who do this are much older and from a different generation) to be calling him "Daddy". Maybe it's me but it feels like an affectation.

So now I'm curious. What do you call your father?

Me - I call me father "Da". Always have.

a 30something woman calling daddy bother's me less than my 80yo grandmother calling her decades long dead mother: mommy.

Not sure how to vote. When I'm talking about him or to him? To others, I call him "my father" and to him I say "dad." But, he lef tbefore I was born, so I don't have a close relationship with him. I see him once a year for a few hours.

I clicked on this thinking there wouldn't be an option for me, but there is! Bless you for having as an option "I can't say in polite society."

Ditto. Jerk would be a nice name for mine. I can't refer to him as Dad. I will say my father, simply because I equate father with the one who created me. Dad or the like is reserved for one that actually gave a dam$.

When my parents became Grandparents they were almost always reffered to as Gramma and Grampa. So that is what they are called by there kids at least half the time. It's easier to say, "Go give this to Grampa", instead of "Give this to YOUR Grampa". Other times I call him Dad.

My bio father hardly ever gets referred to. When it ever comes up, I use his first name. My real father is the one who adopted and raised me. I call him daddy. I will refer to him as dad or daddy, but when I talk to him it is daddy. I guess you could call me southern raised, and I am 33. We have a special relationship.

I always called my father dad. My sister always called him dad until just shortly before he passed away (he will ill for several months), and then out of the blue she started calling him daddy. The first time she called him that, I had to do a double take and make sure it was still my sister. Maybe she was trying to go back in time?

My sister did the same thing with our grandfather who raised us. They were always "Granny and Papa" growing up, even though they raised us. I still get confused when she calls Granny "Mommy."

I occasionally use dad, but not often. More often my sis and I refer to him as Papa or Papa-san. Rarely Daddy, although sometimes I use it if it fits the moment, but not when referring to him around other people. My youngest son calls him "gramps" or "nemesis," but that's an ongoing joke between the two of them. I never called my mom mommy, though. She's always been mom or momma.

In my dad's extended family it seems everyone use daddy for their father's, regardless of gender or age. But they are a tightknit group of Texans so it may just be the culture down there.

When talking to him I call him Daddy. When talking about him, I call him Dad.

My SIL's (one is 37 and the other is 29) both have not had birthdays this year as of yet, call their mom "Mommy". Totally weirds me out. I mean, I am totally southern and I call my Mom "Mama", but I cannot recall ever calling her mommy. Perhaps I did as a small child.

To other people I refer to him as my dad or father. To him or when discussing him with family,, he's either Papa (pronounced pap-ah - it was easy for ds when he was little) or Daddy. Dad is too casual, Father is too formal. He's just my daddy (and I'm not southern). There is a certain reason, part of it was we weren't especially close until I was an adult. He's been a much better parent to me as an adult than as a child. He's in his mid 70s, had a minor stroke this spring, and has been beyond there for me these last few trying months.

I called mine Daddy as a kid until I got married at 19. I could never figure out when I was supposed to change what I called him into something more "grown up." He felt like my Daddy and not my dad.

A number of years after we were married my DH sort of made fun of me for calling him Daddy. He didn't mean to be cruel about it, but since I was already self-consious about it, I felt embarrassed and I stopped calling my dad anything to his face. If I refer to him I'll say, "My dad." Like "My dad called yesterday," instead of "Daddy called yesterday." But if I'm talking to hm directly, I avoid using any name for him in conversation.

I'm 40 now and I *think* i might finally be ready to flat out call him Dad when I'm talking to him.

But I wish I could call him Daddy without feeling embarrassed, because that's what he is to me.

If I am addressing him directly or talking to my siblings or mom I call him dad. If I am talking about him, to him in a mixed group or to others I usually call him poppa because that is what he is called by the grandkids. (Just like referring to my sister and brother as auntie and uncle even when talking to them, if the kids are around rather than by name). I have not called my dad, daddy since I was about 5.

I voted 'Dad', but we often call him Tjilpi, which is central desert country Aboriginal for Grandfather/Elder/old man.

He used to live and work there and was given that name (description/honour title), because of his grey whiskers.

So he chose that name for his grandchildren to use and it fits, so we use it too sometimes.

I have never called my father by anything other than his given name (my mother either) but when I am referring to him I will use father to identify if talking to strangers.

That seems so foreign to me to call parents by their given names. I was spanked once as a child for calling my mom by her given name. You just didn't do that.

I don't call my biological father anything, I don't know him, and I call my stepfather "dad" (my mum refers to him as "your father" so I just go with it) even though I would never call him that to his face. Pacific Northwest born and raised, not sure if that's indicative.

As far as southern ladies saying "daddy" into adulthood, that always reminds me of the film "Blue Sky" where the main character's wife calls him "daddy". Sets off my ick response just a tad.