Menu

Would your child eat these cakes?

Gwenny

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD would have eaten the cheesecake and the whipped cream. I doubt she would have eaten the cake with cherry filling. I will say that some kids will get embarrassed when other kids don't eat something, they are afraid that the other kids know something that they don't and will turn it down. Also my DD goes through phases - loves frosting of any kind - doesn't want frosting - loves frosting, etc.

Out of my 6 kids, one doesn't like cheesecake and 2 don't really like fruit filling. I think it's nice that you had 2 different things and a little odd that most of the kids wouldn't eat at least one! Many kids aren't used to "cleaner", fresher, homemade foods, though, even mine with certain things. So it's disappointing, but not too surprising.

For not liking cake.

My son had his friend over on Friday to celebrate his birthday. Instead of a cake I took them (my 2 boys and friend) to the store and they each picked out a birthday bag of chips.

I let them have a pick of anything from the store and that is what they picked. They did have various cakes, cookies, ...

My dc absolutely would have eaten them, and so would any of their friends routinely invited to their parties.

However, we run in a circle of healthy/natural/whole foods proponents and have been served beautiful homemade Black Forest cake and the like by their friends' moms.

I would suspect that your dc's party guests were consumers of the "typical American diet", accustomed to boxed or store-made cakes and allowed by their parents to shun any food that doesn't fit into the nugget/fries/sugar category.

Next time, know your audience, and bake accordingly. Save the good stuff for those who will appreciate it.

I do agree it's good to know your audience and bake accordingly! When I have DH's family over I might make something good for us, but I definitely have some processed junk for them to eat!

My kids live in a house with whole foods coming out their ears, but they still might refuse it. Kids just get used to what their preferences are. My son likes it when I make pie. I make a whole wheat pastry from scratch and use 3 kinds of apples when I make apple pie. He may or may not like someone else's apple pie. If it's made with a store bought crust or a canned filling, he'll take a couple bites and be done. Both my kids love strawberry jam if it's the strawberries they pick in the summer made into jam. Neither will touch store bought jam. Anyway - I wouldn't necessarily make judgments about the whole group only eating processed garbage other than they're picky and irritating. :) I will totally agree to that in my own kid's cases.

ETA - I had to go back and read the cake descriptions. My DS would have liked the cheese cake. He would have liked a small piece (he doesn't do a lot of sweets). My DD would have liked the other cake and picked around the jam. I think we might not have been too embarassing at your party. :)

It is unlikely my oldest would have liked either, but she might have been polite enough to try one. She is very, very picky and not in a typical kid way.

My other two might have tried and liked either depending on their mood that day. They aren't picky, but they are inconsistent in their preferences from day to day.

I would have loved the cheesecake, but passed on the cherry cake. I have never been a cherry fan.

Dh is not eating sweets or grains currently so he would pass although I think he would like both.

My kids would have eaten either. They'll eat almost anything.

I probably wouldn't have had any as a kid though. It wasn't because I would have preferred box mix or anything like that. I wouldn't have been rude about the coloring. I would have said, "No thank you," and left it at that. I just didn't have much of a sweet tooth. In retrospect, my mom probably freaked out a few years when I didn't eat any of my own birthday cake. Luckily I split all of my birthday festivities with my siblings, so it was less noticeable.

Wow, it sounds like my kids are more adventurous eaters than I thought! It never occurred to me when the kids picked out those cakes (they go through the cookbook each year and pick) that some kids wouldn't eat them. I've known kids that don't like cake of any kind, but I know for a fact from attending a few of these kid's parties in the past, that they do at least it the traditional bakery cakes. Mine have NEVER turned down a dessert. No matter what it is. When I made the cheesecake, I knew some wouldn't like strawberries, so I only put a few in the center as garnish and made a strawberry sauce separate on the side. It didn't help that when I told them it was cheesecake, one child couldn't believe it was a cake made of cheese and they all found it the funniest thing ever. I'm guessing he thought it was like cheddar cheese? How do you get to the age of 10 and never hear of a cheesecake? We live a mile away from The Cheesecake Factory. Next year will be a box but I'm still putting whipped cream icing or homemade buttercream on it.

My kids would totally eat those cakes! They love cheesecake, cake with fruit, and home-made whipping cream.

Dh said those kids are a result of a processed-food society. If our kids did show some hesitancy about it we would explain the unknown food to our kids understanding that you as our host had put a lot of time and effort into it. If they did refuse to eat something, I or my husband would eat it so it wouldn't be wasted.

Dh said those kids are a result of a processed-food society. If our kids did show some hesitancy about it we would explain the unknown food to our kids understanding that you as our host had put a lot of time and effort into it. If they did refuse to eat something, I or my husband would eat it so it wouldn't be wasted.

I don't agree with that. My kids eat homemade foods, but no one in our family really cares for cherries. That's not a result of having over processed food. And we're talking a dessert here, not a meal. If we go to someone's home for a dinner, then yes, my kids are expected to eat what is put in front of them. If we are at a birthday party, I definitely would not push the issue. I do try to have a traditional option whenever my kids ask for something that I think may a bit non-traditional.

My kids would eat those cakes, and so would I. Wish I had been invited!

Back when my kids used to do the young kid birthday party circuit, I noticed a lot of pickiness in regards to cake. Must be the sign of the times -- kids eat so many sweets today, that they can afford to be picky, I guess.

My kids would eat those cakes, and so would I. Wish I had been invited!

Back when my kids used to do the young kid birthday party circuit, I noticed a lot of pickiness in regards to cake. Must be the sign of the times -- kids eat so many sweets today, that they can afford to be picky, I guess.

I don't know about that. I never liked sweet stuff, but it wasn't because I had so much I would pick and choose. I still don't really like chocolate. (Oops, am I going to be banned for saying that?) Yes, that's right. I don't hide in my bathroom eating chocolate every day. I drink wine instead.

Please, please, PLEASE do not assume that the cautious eaters are picky because their parents raise them on boxed crap. My oldest was VERY picky until she was about 8. It's not that she preferred fake foods, it's just that the list of things she liked was rather small despite having a mother who cooked from scratch and likes and serves almost EVERYTHING. This kid preferred to live on air and Chinese food. We joked that if she were Chinese we'd never know she was picky because she liked ALL of the Chinese dishes we fed her.

Sometimes I think the nurture argument is crap. She's 16 now and DID finally develop a decent palate, but it took much longer than I anticipated.

I don't know about that. I never liked sweet stuff, but it wasn't because I had so much I would pick and choose. I still don't really like chocolate. (Oops, am I going to be banned for saying that?) Yes, that's right. I don't hide in my bathroom eating chocolate every day. I drink wine instead.

REPORTED! I'm pretty sure this board has a policy against chocolate hate speech.

Ds would have definitely eaten the cheesecake & might have tried a piece of the other cake. (I actually have to write my own ignorance here -- what is a sweet cream cake??? Is it something more like cheesecake or like a flour-based cake?) Dd (my teen) *might* have eaten a small piece of the cheesecake or might have passed altogether; if the sweet cream cake is a flour-based cake, she might have taken a small piece. She eats both 'real' food & 'box' foods, but she's not a huge fan of sweets of any type. There are a few she likes, but many more that she does not. (She's also the kid at parties that asks for water or milk instead of sodas.)

I showed ds your original question. Based on your siggy & the ages of your kids, he says he is not surprised that a bunch of 6yos wouldn't have eaten the cakes, but that he would have expected more/most of the 9yos to have eaten the cakes. My culinary expert... ;) :lol: (So there you have it, directly from the mouth of a 12yo chef-wannabe.)

Well, neither of mine would have eaten either cake, but they are the weird vegan kids. So, it doesn't really count.

And I would have had a chat with you in advance about the menu and to offer to send food for my kids so you didn't have to worry about feeding them, meaning it wouldn't have come as a surprise.

Honestly, though, if some of these kids were the same age as your younger one, it doesn't surprise me terribly that they would have turned down the "red stuff."

Yes my kids would have eaten those cakes. They might have slighty commented on sweetened cream because I never add sugar to cream but I think they would have eaten it with gusto. I personally can't stand cherries other than fresh straight off the tree and I come across quite a few other people who hate cherries made into anything too. You may have had a few cherry haters there.

Ds6 would not touch the cheesecake, but might 'eat around' the cherry filling and cream of the other cake (ie he'd eat plain cake). Dd12 would eat both, but would probably prefer a simple iced sponge cake.

Mine would have, but the 3yo might just have eaten the jam! He doesn't like cake. :)

However, I just went camping with a bunch of kids. For breakfast, three of us brought blueberry muffins. Jiffy boxed mix, Otis Spunkmeyer individually wrapped ones, and large homemade with tons of real blueberries and a crusty, sugary top, still warm from the oven.

The Jiffy ones were gone in a jiffy. :laugh: When the choice came between prepackaged and homemade, the kids took the Otis ones next. Only my kids and the grownups ate the homemade ones. When we get used to artificial flavoring, that's what we like. It took a long time for my house to readjust when we got rid of most boxed foods.

i discovered with my first two that a lot more cake gets eaten at parties if you buy a supermarket cake or use a box mix - thats what ppl expect from a cake.

I agree--it's what they're used to. I also found that when my kids were small, they usually ate more ice cream than cake.

One of mine wouldn't have eaten either. The other two probably would have, but they're used to scratch cakes and desserts.

Some of mine would, some wouldn't. But, they are pretty much all grown. Even now, one would be no to cheese cake. Two no to cherry filling. As little kids, they would probably have all turned both down. They liked plain and basic, and cheese cake has an icky texture to many kids. Not a matter of lack of exposure, just a matter of kid taste buds. Kids tend to like very basic foods.

My kids like jam, but one (who loves cream cheese on bread or bagels, might I add) cannot stand sweet cheese things like cheesecake. It's a mystery. Anyone, so I think one of mine might not have liked it, but I think you would have had one taker.

I laughed at the line that the cool whip tastes funny. I agree with nmoira's analysis.

I also found that lots of kids don't like sharp flavours. Our standard birthday cake is a dark chocolate cake made with cocoa and squash as its a vegetable cake. It is not really sweet though but its not too dark as chocolate goes. My kids really like it as do a couple of their friends but a lot of kids have said they don't like it. I've never found an adult that doesn't like it though.