Menu

Would your child eat these cakes?

Gwenny

I gave my 2 kids a birthday party today, and their cakes didn't go over well at all with the kids. Is it just this group of kids, or are these cakes far out there? My son had a cheese cake with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh strawberries in the center, while my daughter had a sweet cream cherry cake with whipped cream frosting. After slicing into my daughter's cake, the kids saw that the layers had cherry jam between them, and wouldn't eat anywhere near the "red stuff". It's jam; surely kids have tasted jam, before. The second ingredient is sugar, who doesn't like jam? Not one kid ate either of the cakes (except mine, who had a slice of each)! Some ate the whipped cream off my daughter's cake, but when my son said, "Who wants some of mine?", no even tried it. They actually looked grossed out. One child wanted a dollop of just whipped cream on his plate, but after tasting it, said the cool-whip tasted funny. It was just heavy whipping cream and confectioner's sugar - how could that taste funny?! Would your kids eat these cakes? Did I just invite the world's pickiest eaters? Should I just use boxed mixes and canned icing? Yes, I know I'm probably more upset that I should be, but it's sad to throw out so many slices of cake that you worked hard on. My daughter's cake had 3 cups of whipping cream in it! On the bright side, most of the adults really liked them. And why can't I make paragraphs? Return isn't returning me?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My kids who have problems with food would probably not eat it. It's hard to tell. My normal kids would have enjoyed them but they are used to homemade desserts. We went to a party when my kids were 3 where the mother made a traditional Korean cake and it was wonderful. I was so embarrassed because my kids wouldn't eat it. I knew they wouldn't because they ate practically nothing but it was so awkward. When my kids were younger, many of the birthday cakes we saw at parties had a jam layer. I think the kids you invited were weird. Maybe someone with high kid social status refused first and then everyone else wanted to follow along? I'm sorry. I know how disappointing it can be.

Mine would and they would love them (well, ds2 would love it and lunge for it but he wouldn't really be able to eat it due to a dairy allergy). DS1 would've asked for 2nds lol. I know that there are definitely some children who are picky eaters despite their parents' best efforts HOWEVER, I grew up around a lot of parents who basically set the stage for that behavior by setting things like 'kid food' (mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, pizza, straight up cupcakes and frosting normally from a box, kiddie drinks like capri-sun...etc) vs adult food and don't really teach their kids to eat the same normal food.

Since my children were babies, they've always eaten what we eat and my children are EXTREMELY adventurous eaters. They eat things most people would refuse to even try and can handle extremely spicy food too. A delicious homemade cake that isn't your typical chocolate/chocolate or vanilla/chocolate would be no stretch at all and they would dig in. I'm sorry that those children didn't appreciate your culinary efforts because we all would have!

No clue as to the paragraphs.

My eldest would love them - she prefers whipped topping and isn't into "super sweet" (like the normal butter cream frosting); she loves layers and loves cheesecake. She was recently dx'd Celiacs so she COULDN'T eat them, but golly she would want to, lol.

My middle son (4) doesn't like cake of any kind really, so no he wouldn't (but again, that's any cake; his birthday was yesterday and he didn't eat his own birthday cake, lol).

I'm not a fan of cherry filling on anything. not cake, not ice cream, not pie. dh loves cherry pie - he's welcome to make it, I don't eat it. some kids do, other's don't.

depending upon child, they may or may not have eaten some of the cheesecake.

Only the GF kids I know wouldn't eat it. I think it's weird that a whole group of kids passed on it.

I routinely make a cake with a canolli filling and my kids' friends love it.

Cake with cannoli filling? I am pretty sure I NEED this cake.

Everyone of my kids would have at least taken a slice to taste. 2 would have asked what the red jam was bc they can't have cherries or cranberries. One might not have done than take a polite bite of his bc he doesn't like cake. He never eats cake for his own birthday. He is a pie person like his mama.

But they all would have politely taken the slice offered and tried it as is. As long as it wasn't cranberries or cherries of course.

We all need this cake. LOL

except those who are vegan, mostly vegan or lactose intolerant.

Or gluten-free.

Otherwise, all of us!

Actually, I'm dairy-free 99% of the time and mostly vegan (but eat fish and occasional meat when we're craving it--we eat mostly plant-based for health reasons, not ethical) but I do get an occasional cheat so this would be it LOL ;)

Both of mine would have eaten a slice of each. Both of my bonus kids would have refused to touch either.

I usually opt for "normal" cake and frosting for their parties with friends and then something less traditional that they request with dinner on their actual birthday.

My kids would have eaten every bite. Well, DS would have loved to eat every bite, but has food allergies so it wouldn't be in his safe zone - but if it was allergen-free, you can bet he'd have loved it and raved over. DD eats everything, but if it contains the word "cake" in its name - especially so!

My kids would've eaten them. The younger is a picky eater, which means she will not typically consume boxed mixes and Cool Whip. She makes her own birthday cake from scratch every year, along with the frosting.

We would all welcome the opportunity to wallow in real whipped cream.

ETA: If you're expecting Cool Whip, real whipped cream WILL taste funny. Cool Whip is a vile nondairy glop of corn syrup, hydrogenated oil and various chemicals. Consider it a compliment that your whipped cream didn't taste like that.

I gave my 2 kids a birthday party today, and their cakes didn't go over well at all with the kids. Is it just this group of kids, or are these cakes far out there? My son had a cheese cake with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh strawberries in the center, while my daughter had a sweet cream cherry cake with whipped cream frosting. After slicing into my daughter's cake, the kids saw that the layers had cherry jam between them, and wouldn't eat anywhere near the "red stuff". It's jam; surely kids have tasted jam, before. The second ingredient is sugar, who doesn't like jam? Not one kid ate either of the cakes (except mine, who had a slice of each)! Some ate the whipped cream off my daughter's cake, but when my son said, "Who wants some of mine?", no even tried it. They actually looked grossed out. One child wanted a dollop of just whipped cream on his plate, but after tasting it, said the cool-whip tasted funny. It was just heavy whipping cream and confectioner's sugar - how could that taste funny?! Would your kids eat these cakes? Did I just invite the world's pickiest eaters? Should I just use boxed mixes and canned icing? Yes, I know I'm probably more upset that I should be, but it's sad to throw out so many slices of cake that you worked hard on. My daughter's cake had 3 cups of whipping cream in it! On the bright side, most of the adults really liked them. And why can't I make paragraphs? Return isn't returning me?

My kids would certainly eat it.

So many kids have been raised in a food bubble, and cannot extend beyond chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, and chocolate cake. It's sad, really.

I don't know any kids that would--so unfortunate. Seems every cake we had a birthday parties were just regular cake from the bakery--you know, cake-cake, with that super-sweet frosting (not even a nice, homemade buttercream). Kids weren't picky, just used to a certain thing.

NOW, of course, my own kids have much better sense, and at 13, 21 and 23 would devour something as yummy as you describe!

ds18-yes to both, dd 14-yes to both as long as there were no seeds in the red (ie she won't eat strawberry because of the seeds, not the red color), dd6-she would have said yes to both, but I doubt she would actually eat the whipped cream because she doesn't like milky tasting products. I don't like cherry so I would have picked around that. My kids have grown up on fresh whipped cream and can't stand Chemical Whip. Dd6 had a dairy allergy when she was little and she still has an aversion to dairy products. We would have been very happy to see it was fresh whipped cream instead of store bought frosting........your return key issue is due to a glitch in Internet Explorer. I have the same problem. IF I log into forums using Firefox, the problem goes away. As you can see, I clicked IE to log in and can't hit the return key either. ;0(

I have one kid that just does not like cake AT ALL. He usually wants pie on his birthday,

My daughter probably wouldn't just because she is not a fan of jam or pie fillings. She might pick around it and I'm working on her not to complain if she doesn't like something. I've been trying to get her to eat jam or pie for YEARS. So I wouldn't necessarily blame parents either.

The thing is, it's CAKE. It's not like they were declining something with nutritional value so I don't force my kids to try different sweets if they don't want to. I'm sorry they didn't go over. :grouphug: They sound great to me though! Wish I could put away a piece for you!

ETA - both my kids adore real whipped cream though and would probably gag on cool whip. That one is kind of weird!

Yeah many kids are probably not used to real stuff. My kids are because I don't buy fake stuff.

Interestingly, I grew up eating the fake stuff. I only had Cool Whip for years. Then when I tried real whipped cream I wondered what this amazing thing was! I never ate Cool Whip again!

I grew up with cool whip too. I prefer real whipped cream now, but for some reason I only want cool whip on my pumpkin pie. ::sigh:: You can take the girl out of the hollow . . .

All of my kids would have eaten both - or at least tried both. The cheesecake would have been quickly devoured. I'm sorry your party was attended by children with such poor manners (and their parents were present :huh: ??? ). Unfortunately it seems like the mob ruled. If one was vocal about "not eating red" the others may have secretly wanted to try it but were too timid to go against the voices.

I happen to have the world's pickiest kids living in my house :001_rolleyes: and I am sad to say that neither of them would eat your cakes. At a birthday party, my kiddos hope and pray for chocolate cake with chocolate icing. If it's not chocolate icing, they eat the cake only (yes, seriously). On the other hand, both of your cakes sound lovely to me. I am doing the low-carb thing right now, so this is how I feel when reading your cake descriptions. :drool5:

One of mine would, one wouldn't. But which one would eat it totally depends on the day. But usually what one wants to eat the other doesn't.

Mind you one would have found it to sugary. His cousin made his birthday cake (Eldest turned 9 today) and both my kids ate some but said it was to sugary. Usually if I tell him a baked good is very sugary he would pass on it.

my oldest would have eaten both, my middle . . . not sure, he was picky eater until 7 or 8, but did love sweets. My youngest is the pickiest.

i discovered with my first two that a lot more cake gets eaten at parties if you buy a supermarket cake or use a box mix - thats what ppl expect from a cake.

The best . . . um . . . is a gluten and dairy free birthday party for my pickiest youngest . . . one year he wanted banana muffins and one year he wanted carrot cake cupcakes . . .and pretty much no one would eat them at all. so sad.

All of my kids would have eaten both - or at least tried both. The cheesecake would have been quickly devoured. I'm sorry your party was attended by children with such poor manners (and their parents were present :huh: ??? ). Unfortunately it seems like the mob ruled. If one was vocal about "not eating red" the others may have secretly wanted to try it but were too timid to go against the voices.

Yeah! They were probably just a bunch of cake-sniffing orphans from the orphan shack!*

*Series of unfortunate events reference.

My kids all would have (and always would have) eaten both of them. Dessert is never passed up at my house. Certainly not the cakes you described! But when we have dessert (at home), it is almost always homemade. Homemade whipped cream would not be "weird" to my kids.

Mine would. Even the picky one. That said, those are the sort of cakes we have served since they were little and one of my sons HATES chocolate and loves whipped cream and fruity type deserts.

I think that some kids are more accustomed to the taste of boxed cake and cool whip. Oh well, more care for your family!

Mine would have been fine with the cakes, but that is because they'd be familiar. The whipped cream tasted wrong to the one child *because* it wasn't Cool Whip. Our brains don't like it when food tastes different than we expect, even whipped topping. That's how we've survived as omnivores.

FWIW, mine reject Cool Whip. The first and only time MIL tried to give some to my youngest, the poor child refused to put her tongue in her mouth until it was completely scraped off. It would have been comical had we been with anyone else... the poor kids eyes were bugging out in near-panic as she tried to get rid of the Cool Whip.

My dc absolutely would have eaten them, and so would any of their friends routinely invited to their parties.

However, we run in a circle of healthy/natural/whole foods proponents and have been served beautiful homemade Black Forest cake and the like by their friends' moms.

I would suspect that your dc's party guests were consumers of the "typical American diet", accustomed to boxed or store-made cakes and allowed by their parents to shun any food that doesn't fit into the nugget/fries/sugar category.

Next time, know your audience, and bake accordingly. Save the good stuff for those who will appreciate it.

Both of my kids would have eaten a slice of each cake.

We've had the same experiences. A couple years ago for my dd's birthday I made homemade pound cake and served it topped with strawberries and real whipped cream. Adults ate it, kids didn't. I was rather surprised at the time.

Likewise, my ds prefers non-traditional cakes. He usually requests cheesecake with cherry topping or pumpkin pie for his birthday, LOL! Again, we've discovered that they're not such hits with other kids.