Menu

If not Sonlight, then what?

Since I just learned that Sonlight does NOT schedule MoH (or even include it as a resource) as I'd previously thought...

What do you suggest for me that has the following:

I am looking for history and literature only. I want the history, readers, and read-alouds all neatly scheduled out. I don't want a unit study that includes a lot of stuff in the schedule that I'm never going to use, such as science, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, or handwriting.

• I'd prefer a 3-day or 4-day plan, but if it's 5 and easily adaptable, that's okay.
  • I want to use MoH. I would consider SoTW as well, as long as MoH is there.
  • TOG is way, way too teacher-intensive, so let's not go there. :)
  • I've used TRISMS for years, and I loved it for my own kids (now graduated), but for the students I'm teaching now (teen girls who do not love to read/research but do enjoy read-alouds), TRISMS is not going to work.

Suggestions?

I agree with FriedClams that you could use MOH as written with the literature selections in the book. If you want a guide that schedules everything out, maybe Winter Promise would work. I've never used it, but I know that they use MOH in their middle school level guides for Ancients and Medieval.

I'd like to find something like this too, but with just history, lit and Bible too. I can't find it. So, I use MFW and just sub out the science and add in other things I want. MFW does not include any LA except the lit or math and allows you to schedule your own with space for it on their grid even. Well, they do narrations and include copywork and dictation, but nothing else for 2nd and up and you can skip that. I really love the content and haven't found another program that has the content I want and has it all laid out. So, we just go with it and tweak like crazy. I really do love the content and it's worth it. They don't use MOH at all, but they use SOTW for cycle year 2-4.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I understand what you mean. I want something that is exactly what I want too, but since I can't find it, I tweak. :lol:

Am I reading your signature line correctly? Do you have all children middle school and up? If so, then Tapestry is a breeze for you as long as you are willing to buy the books. They do everything, you read 30 minutes, and have a great discussion fully scripted at the end of the week. Really, really, not intense.

Am I reading your signature line correctly? Do you have all children middle school and up? If so, then Tapestry is a breeze for you as long as you are willing to buy the books. They do everything, you read 30 minutes, and have a great discussion fully scripted at the end of the week. Really, really, not intense.

I will be teaching at least 2 teen girls, and possibly as many as 4. They will range in age from 14-18, and NONE love independent reading or research, but they do enjoy read-alouds (and I make them follow along with their own copies). I'm not willing to buy the books; my students' parents would have to buy their own copies as well as mine, and also the teacher's guide, etc. They're not going to go for that.

I'd like to find something like this too, but with just history, lit and Bible too. I can't find it. So, I use MFW and just sub out the science and add in other things I want. MFW does not include any LA except the lit or math and allows you to schedule your own with space for it on their grid even. Well, they do narrations and include copywork and dictation, but nothing else for 2nd and up and you can skip that. I really love the content and haven't found another program that has the content I want and has it all laid out. So, we just go with it and tweak like crazy. I really do love the content and it's worth it. They don't use MOH at all, but they use SOTW for cycle year 2-4.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I understand what you mean. I want something that is exactly what I want too, but since I can't find it, I tweak. :lol:

I actually bought MFW CtG last year, planning to use it next year, but then we used ECC and I wasn't wild about it, so I decided to look for something else because I like MoH. I'm not sure I'll find anything I like better, but I'm trying. :) Like you, I want history, literature & Bible (Bible would be intertwined with history, of course, and all would be from a Biblical perspective).

Why not just use MOH as it's written? There's a suggested schedule in the front for how to manage it with different aged kids, and suggested supplemental reading in the back.

I want it all scheduled out for me. :001_smile: :tongue_smilie:

I will be teaching at least 2 teen girls, and possibly as many as 4. They will range in age from 14-18, and NONE love independent reading or research, but they do enjoy read-alouds (and I make them follow along with their own copies). I'm not willing to buy the books; my students' parents would have to buy their own copies as well as mine, and also the teacher's guide, etc. They're not going to go for that.

Okay well those are certainly financial barriers to using Tapestry.

You would not need copies of books read for yourself, Tapestry provides enough at R level that you don't need that. I'd suggest the DE version and have the cost equally shared. BUT they would still have to come up with their own books.

And you'd have to get over the don't like to read on their own thing, but then I think they need to get over that anyway (barring any learning disabilities that preclude it).

And you'd have to get over the don't like to read on their own thing, but then I think they need to get over that anyway (barring any learning disabilities that preclude it).

:iagree: I'm working on them! :001_smile:

It's really, really hard now that they're teens and poor readers because a love for learning was never instilled in them when they were young. :(

Illuminations schedules things that the OP said she didn't want, science, etc.

From the OP's first post, "I don't want a unit study that includes a lot of stuff in the schedule that I'm never going to use, such as science, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, or handwriting"

This is from the website:

"Illuminations is an all-inclusive* curriculum, covering Bible, language arts (grammar, writing, copywork, spelling and vocabulary), literature, science, humanities (poetry, theater, music, and art), geography, history, and life skills. Illuminations is built to complement The Mystery of History or All American History series."

• 1 month later...

I'm posting here but will PM you as well... I am such a knucklehead! Illuminations- it's from Bright Ideas, which publishes MOH, and it's all scheduled out for you and in one big package! They have 3-8 grades, and high school! Viola!

I know I said I didn't want an all-inclusive program, but the more I looked at Illuminations, the more I liked what I saw. The biggest sellling point, for me, was that not only is literature scheduled, but literature guides are included. So... I downloaded Year 1 today. I'll let you know how it goes. :)