Menu

Anyone know why our stainless steel drinks bottles suddenly taste&smell bad?

lailasmum

2 of our 4 stainless steel drinks bottles have suddenly taken on a really horrible flavour and smell which makes them unusable. One of them is still fine with no flavour or smell. They are H2Onya bottles and they are unlined. It's hard to describe the flavour it's kind of musty and horrible. They've only ever had water in them. I've scrubbed and scrubbed them and sterilised them and tried bicarb. I just can't get rid of the smell and taste.

Anyone got any ideas? They were pretty expensive so it would be a shame to have to stop using them.

Guest inoubliable

Hope you can figure it out. Our SIGGs went bad that way and we ended up recycling them. I never could figure out what the smell/taste was.

my stainless steel coffee cups got bad after a while. i think i ended up putting them in the dishwasher, which helped some - i figure it was that or toss them. eventually I lost them and now I use dishwasher safe plastic travel mugs. i love them because they get REALLY CLEAN, but they dont insulate as well as the old one. and of course, not quite as easy to bring along as a bottle, but i do bring them almost everywhere

A few ideas:

Chlorine bleach (Clorox etc) and warm/hot water

Oxygen based bleach with hot water (Oxyclean) Or Denture tablet with warm water

Hot Vinegar soak

Sunshine

Put in the freezer empty

Boil or sterilize with boiling water

Tongs and a magic eraser

Salt and water swirl (no-scratching but abrasive)

ETA: CItric acid (Tang powder or kool aid)

Lemon juice and then sunshine to dry

I have heard of people using newspapers stuffed in bottles to deodorize but I have no idea if it is true or not.

I would specifically try to get the bottle warm or hot to open up any pores in the metal that could be harboring the smell/detritus. Even if you have only used water in the bottles, there are a lot of minerals, a few bacteria, and even algae in various water supplies.

I think I've sorted one with 50/50 water and vinegar and a tsp of bicarb. Then I scrubbed it when it was still fizzing. The taste is back to normal. The other one ( the biggest and most expensive!) still smells wierd and the inside actually looks a little odd and not a smooth satin finish inside.

A few ideas:

Chlorine bleach (Clorox etc) and warm/hot water

Oxygen based bleach with hot water (Oxyclean) Or Denture tablet with warm water

Hot Vinegar soak

Sunshine

Put in the freezer empty

Boil or sterilize with boiling water

Tongs and a magic eraser

Salt and water swirl (no-scratching but abrasive)

ETA: CItric acid (Tang powder or kool aid)

Lemon juice and then sunshine to dry

I have heard of people using newspapers stuffed in bottles to deodorize but I have no idea if it is true or not.

I would specifically try to get the bottle warm or hot to open up any pores in the metal that could be harboring the smell/detritus. Even if you have only used water in the bottles, there are a lot of minerals, a few bacteria, and even algae in various water supplies.

Thanks, I'll try some of those on the other bottle. The steriliser I tried is a chlorine bleach and that didn't work.