Menu

So, if I wanted to read Anna Karenina for my self-education

which lit guide would be the best? Somehow, I've made it to the ripe old age of 50 (gasp!) without ever reading this and I want to rectify that this summer. But I need help. I don't want to just read it as a piece of fiction, I want to understand and grasp the significance of it all. I'm actually excited about getting into this but I know I need some guidance. Any suggestions?

I don't have any lit guide suggestions, but it took me seven years to read Anna Karenina. I finally managed to finish it after I watched a movie. My advice is that if you have trouble reading it, watch a movie to give you an overview.

7 years!! I was hoping to do it in three months;) And then watch the movie;)

I just read it last year the first time. Didn't take me long at all. A month or so?? I enjoyed it.

I didn't use a lit guide, but I did compare a few translations. I actually liked one of the older ones (by Constance Garnett) better than the hyped-up new one.

7 years!! I was hoping to do it in three months;) And then watch the movie;)

It took me 3 months, but it was a busy time for us, so there were countless times I didn't want to put it down but had to. I didn't watch the movie first. I read it for the first time at 44 yo and it became one of my favorite books. My advice is just pick it up and start reading it for enjoyment. You might discover you can't put it down. If you decide you want to go back to it with a lit guide later you can.

I found it to be an absolute page-turner; read it in 2 months (would have been faster if not for those pesky kids to educate)! I wouldn't think you'd need a lit guide. Other than names that are difficult (for me) to pronounce, it was very approachable, easy reading. I read it in college, but didn't enjoy it because I couldn't possibly see why a wealthy, married woman would have an affair. Her life was perfect, she had everything, la la la la. Being young and, therefore, seeing the world strictly in black & white terms, I couldn't identify with her. Reading it again at nearly 40, with a lot more life experience under my belt, I appreciated it much more. Dig in and start reading! The recent movie was entertaining, but couldn't possibly convey the subtle emotion packed into the book, thus it was a disappointment.

I loathed that particular book. Seriously, I would pick something else off your "I can't believe I've never read ____" list because Anna Karenina is just plain BAD.

ETA: And I have enjoyed most of the classics I've read. There are only a handful of the classics that I've disliked, but AK is one of them.

Ditto the suggestion to try the online free resources like spark notes and wikipedia. They'll alert you to the common themes to look for. There's some cultural background there to fill in. I read it in high school and don't recall it being bad. The Brother's K, now that's, well I never did finish it. But Anna K. is fine. It's just very Russian. You're getting social commentary (western technology as the train coming in, etc.). Just make sure you get large print or use an ereader. Small print on these things makes it so hard...

I read it in AP English class. I disliked it, along with the other books we read (Madame Bovary, anyone? Yuck!). I guess I just don't enjoy watching main characters make dumb decisions. "Oh there it is again, the red handbag!" Whatever. But then, I was never taught any real lit analysis, so beyond personal enjoyment, it all seems so pointless to me.

Maybe I'd feel differently today though I doubt it. I have a large stack of books waiting to be read, all nonfiction.

I read it in AP English class. I disliked it, along with the other books we read (Madame Bovary, anyone? Yuck!). I guess I just don't enjoy watching main characters make dumb decisions.

Madame Bovary is another book I hated. I don't mind books with symbolism, but I have to be able to stand the main character.

I have read AK 3 times and it is one of my favorite books. I read it first in HS, then as a newlywed, and later as a mother. It meant something different each time. I did not use a lit guide any of the times, it was not needed, except for the names.

Many people dislike/hate Anna. I had different feelings each time I read it. The last time I was so over her that I really wanted to skip the parts with her in it and just read about Kitty. She is not the only "main" character. Just start reading it. I have never watched a movie adaptation. I am too afraid that the movie will either not catch the emotions or put too much emphasis on the sex (that is not what it is about).

Happy reading!

I read it fairly quickly myself, PBS did a fabulous mini series on it a few years ago. I don't think you need a lit guide to get the religious symbolism if you have read the whole Bible, it really explains itself.

I read the biography of Leo Tolstoy's wife last year. The one with all the excerpts from her diaries. He was a controlling nut job! After reading the biography I could see how he understands just how people work and really manipulated his wife, seemingly just to exercise power over her. His wife was a home school mom, who even wrote much of her own curricula. She was petty and vain sometimes, but she was married to an older man who pulled her strings very neatly.

I loved the book and found it a pageturner as well though I did not care for the character of Anna. I finished it in about 3 days.

I read it fairly quickly myself, PBS did a fabulous mini series on it a few years ago. I don't think you need a lit guide to get the religious symbolism if you have read the whole Bible, it really explains itself.

I read the biography of Leo Tolstoy's wife last year. The one with all the excerpts from her diaries. He was a controlling nut job! After reading the biography I could see how he understands just how people work and really manipulated his wife, seemingly just to exercise power over her. His wife was a home school mom, who even wrote much of her own curricula. She was petty and vain sometimes, but she was married to an older man who pulled her strings very neatly.

That is interesting as I always heard the other side that put most of the blame on her. I should check that out.

I read it a few years ago and it was a pretty easy read for Russian Lit. Like someone above said it reminded me of a Soap Opera. It might be interesting to read it and then read something from Dostoyevski and maybe Anton Chekov as well since they were his contemporaries. IMO I feel like Russian literature is in a category all its own.

Instead of a lit guide, I would suggest reading a bit on social history of Russia from the same timeframe. I think the book will speak for itself when it's put in the context. Unfortunately I don't know English language resources for it. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! You have inspired to me just start reading ( I do have sparknotes bookmarked:) and go from there. If I hate it, I'll stop;) Martin Cothran (Memoria Press) mentioned it in his talk at CHAP so I decided to give it a try. The biography about Leo Tolstoy's wife sounds interesting too. My reading list continues to grow:)

Thanks for all the great suggestions! You have inspired to me just start reading ( I do have sparknotes bookmarked:) and go from there. If I hate it, I'll stop;) Martin Cothran (Memoria Press) mentioned it in his talk at CHAP so I decided to give it a try. The biography about Leo Tolstoy's wife sounds interesting too. My reading list continues to grow:)

Kelly, I was at that talk by Martin Cothran also. After I got home I put Anna in my cart at amazon. I plan to read it this summer also.

AK taught me a huge lesson! I had to read it in college and knew nothing about it. I was super busy so I did a quick read of all but the last few chapters. Boy, was I surprised when I got to class! Needless to say, I learned to finish reading a book all the way to the last page.