Menu

Sonlight questions... HELP! :)

I've been researching Sonlight, and I am considering the purchase of a used Core 6/Core G IG. I understand that the IGs have undergone several revisions over the past few years, and I'm not sure which year's IG I should buy. I'm hoping that if I list the features I want and don't want, someone can help me figure out the right IG for me. Please?

• I prefer that the Notes be in a separate section rather than included week-by-week. IIRC, Sonlight used to include the notes week-by-week, and then began to put them in a separate section, and they've recently begun to include them week-by-week again.
  • I don't remember when Sonlight began to provide 4-day & 5-day plans, but I am interested in an IG that DOES have 4-day plans.
  • I want to use MoH, and I understand that MoH is included (but not scheduled) in some of the newer IGs. True? If so, I want an IG that DOES include MoH.
  • I do NOT want the LA IG and Core IG combined. I want ONLY the Core IG.
  • I DO want to use the Genevieve Foster books, which are left out of the 2012(?) IG.

So... which year's IG should I look for???

Thanks to anyone who can help me figure this out!! :)

Another idea--look at Beautiful Feet's Early American & World History if you're just looking for the history portion with the Foster books, rather than the LA portion:

http://bfbooks.com/E...ory-Study-Guide

Thanks. I have all the BF guides, but I want the history, readers, and read-alouds all neatly scheduled out. I don't need spelling, vocabulary, grammar, or handwriting.

I've been researching Sonlight, and I am considering the purchase of a used Core 6/Core G IG. I understand that the IGs have undergone several revisions over the past few years, and I'm not sure which year's IG I should buy. I'm hoping that if I list the features I want and don't want, someone can help me figure out the right IG for me. Please?

• I prefer that the Notes be in a separate section rather than included week-by-week. IIRC, Sonlight used to include the notes week-by-week, and then began to put them in a separate section, and they've recently begun to include them week-by-week again.
  • I don't remember when Sonlight began to provide 4-day & 5-day plans, but I am interested in an IG that DOES have 4-day plans.
  • I want to use MoH, and I understand that MoH is included (but not scheduled) in some of the newer IGs. True? If so, I want an IG that DOES include MoH.
  • I do NOT want the LA IG and Core IG combined. I want ONLY the Core IG.
  • I DO want to use the Genevieve Foster books, which are left out of the 2012(?) IG.

So... which year's IG should I look for???

Thanks to anyone who can help me figure this out!! :)

I cannot tell you the answers to all of your questions except that if you get an IG with the five-day plan, the four-day is included on the back (for the older IG's) for the newer ones (which won't have the other things you want) both are included. I can also tell you that MOH is not scheduled or included in any cores, even the newest revisions.

You may want to post this on the Sonlight Forums. There are may long-term users there that would have these IG's and be able to quickly and accurately answer your questions.

MOH is not included nor scheduled in any IG that I know of. You will want a 2010 or 2011 - separate book notes, No LA, Foster books scheduled, true 4 day schedule on one side of the IG/5 day schedule on the other side.

Jennay is right; I'm looking for the same thing as the OP, so I've been researching....

It was last year that the notes were split into the individual weeks. It was also last year that the LA was combined with the main IG. At that time, SL also removed about 18 books from this core, making it much lighter. So, I think you want 2011 or earlier. I haven't heard anything about MOH being scheduled in, but maybe I missed that. You could always listen to the MOH audiobooks on the side if that's something you are really interested in.

SL used to have a list of changes by year for each core on their website, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else will be kind enough to link it.

ETA: Okay, I misread. Somehow I thought you were talking about core F. I don't know if core G was changed to the new format this year or last year, but I'm pretty sure it was last year because I bought a new IG for G & H (which I have only done one other time -- when they were changing core 100). I know they waited until this year to change core H for all the people who were already using Core G last year since those cores go together. So, I still think you would want a 2011 or earlier edition of G and if you wind up using H, a 2012 or earlier edition. EXCEPT, while the earlier editions don't combine the LA or divide the notes up by week, they do include the Genevieve Foster books.

Still hoping someone else will post the updates page.

Still hoping someone else will post the updates page.

I've looked at the updates page. I'm not sure I fully understand it, though. If a Core isn't listed, does that mean it was unchanged from the previous year? But are the copyright dates changed EVERYyear? I mean, does every Core have a 2008 edition, a 2009 edition, a 2010 edition, etc. so you know when it was published/printed? Or might a particular Core have, say, only a 2008 edition and a 2011 edition? Does that make sense?

I've looked at the updates page. I'm not sure I fully understand it, though. If a Core isn't listed, does that mean it was unchanged from the previous year? But are the copyright dates changed EVERYyear? I mean, does every Core have a 2008 edition, a 2009 edition, a 2010 edition, etc. so you know when it was published/printed? Or might a particular Core have, say, only a 2008 edition and a 2011 edition? Does that make sense?

Every Core has an updated IG every year with that year's date. The changes might be very minor - like a fixing a few typos or more major like removing books and adding new ones. So yes, you will have a 2007 Core D, a 2008 Core D, and 2009 Core D and so on.....

Every Core has an updated IG every year with that year's date. The changes might be very minor - like a fixing a few typos or more major like removing books and adding new ones. So yes, you will have a 2007 Core D, a 2008 Core D, and 2009 Core D and so on.....

From this I gather that a Core receives only a little editing unless it's listed on the updates page, where the updates are actually detailed. Thanks! Just what I wanted to know.