Menu

Montana?

We'll be shortly moving to Montana. I've heard it is very homeschool friendly - but could i please have help with specifics? What paperwork do I need to fill out? Where can I find it? When is it due? What else should I know?

Thanks!

Need to turn in a notice of intent to the school superintendent by sometime in September. The superintendent can request an attendance chart. That is it . . . Some areas have good homeschool groups, some don't.

I am in Montana. I got our form at the same office as the Department of Motor vehicles (Great Falls). I filled in names, address, DOB and year of schooling and left it with them. Easy peasy. Go to MT.gov and search homeschool. You might find the form you need for your county. Let me know if I can help with anything. If you are moving to GF look me up!

I am in Bozeman, but lived in Livingston for ten years. It's so casual in my neck of the woods that most years, I just called the superintendent and let him know by phone :) They will mail you the form if you call and request it. Check Yahoo groups for your area. Our local group still uses it and and for years. On the attendance, they can request it but we've never had a request for it ever. I was really surprised when we moved here at how popular homeschooling is, and how willing to rise up and take action the families are to keep it so free and open.

Here is the link to Montana Coalition of Home educators. http://www.mtche.org/ It has the legal wording of the homeschool law, some useful links, history of homeschooling in the area, and they generally keep an eye to any possible legislation that might concern homeschoolers.

• 2 weeks later...