Menu

who has 2nd grade planned for the fall? Care to share

Wow! Reading what some of you have planned for fall I am feeling woefully inadequate. So tell me it's ok? :lol: It is my first year so I probably should go slowly....

You should start slowly. Don't overwhelm yourself off the bat. Also, remind yourself while reading that second graders vary greatly in their interests and abilities so just because someone is doing three fourth grade math programs with their seven year old (a completely made up example) doesn't mean that should be a standard for yours.

Wow! Reading what some of you have planned for fall I am feeling woefully inadequate. So tell me it's ok? :lol: It is my first year so I probably should go slowly....

Did you see what I posted? Next yr will be my 20th yr and my 7th 2nd grader.......I have always gone slowly with 2nd graders because it works well. ;) I gradually increase my kids' work load and expectations every yr and by the time they are in high school, they are all very high achievers.

Saxon Math 2

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 2

Hooked on Phonics 4 & 5

Pentime Handwriting 2

Memoria Press Storytime & More Storytime Treasures

Beautiful Feet Geography (Holling Hollings books)

Memoria Press U.S. States & Capitals

Memoria Press Christian Studies 1 (orally)

Memoria Press Greek Myths (orally)

Galore Park Jr. History 1

Skoldo French 2

Memoria Press Prima Latina

Heavens yes!!!

The number one mistake I see homeschoolers make in year one and two is developing "ooh shiny syndrome" (OSS) and adding too much to their curriculum plan. It is much better to start with the two or the things of highest importance, (reading, math, and writing), and then fold in the extras after you have found your groove and gained some confidence.

And when OSS hits, and it eventually gets most of us whether in year one or year six :p, just pick yourself up, take a mental health day, and start back with the basics, (reading, math, and writing), until you've found your groove and realize you have earned the right to feel confident.

I have our first semester planned. lol

We will be using KONOS (one of in-a-box curriculum guides, not the big volumes) for history, science, and bible. We'll also be using FLL 2, WWE 1, CLP's Writing with Prayer to introduce cursive), Singapore 2A/2B U.S. Edition, Song School Latin 1(finishing, and then moving into SSL 2), the Level 3 DITHOR books from HOD, and AAS.

If I had to do my first year over again, I'd probably make "don't completely torpedo mother/daughter relationship" my goal. As it was, my goal was "teach daughter to read," and while the relationship came out intact, it wasn't with a whole lot of wiggle room.

Mine is one of the kids whose far ahead in some things. But we don't _do_ many things. We're a fairly narrowly focused family.

In fact, I'm going to make a partial list of all the things my kids _don't_ do that would be pleasant or valuable to them, but which just don't fit in (because of who they are, or who I am, or where our family is, or the fact that I am just not getting up at four a.m. for any reason, hockey be damned.)

We don't do formal athletics of any sort. No soccer, hockey, baseball, or anything else.

We don't do projects or arts and crafts. When I wanted scotch tape for some reason, my husband had to go out and buy a role. We don't own glue or construction paper. They rarely colour.

All this past year we did almost no history and very little science. And the reading aloud from history I did do to for the oldest? Well if she retained one single thing from it, she's fooled me.

Because of my husband's job, we haven't taken a family vacation and rarely travel anywhere. As a result we school during the summer.

None of my kids is in Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, 4H Club, or similar.

We don't do a second language besides Hebrew. No Latin.

I am a total failure at pre-K education. I have yet to produce a single child who knew any letters or numbers prior to beginning formal instruction. Apparently I'm unable to impart "this is an A" and "don't wet your pants" at the same time.

Math - Singapore 2A / B, Life of Fred as a supplement

Language Arts - McRuffy 2nd Grade

Grammar - FLL 2

Spelling - AAS 3

Geography - Evan Moor Daily Geography 2

Logic - Lollipop Logic Book 2

History (we combine with older brother) - Finish SOTW 2

Begin SOTW 3

Time Travelers CDs

Science - Sassafras Science Zoology

Older brother is doing Elemental Science Chemistry so we will tag along for some of it

Writing - PAL Writing

Art - Home Art Studio

Music - outside class

PE - outside class

Math: Miquon, Verbal Math Lessons, Living Mathbooks once a week

Phonics: Saxon Phonic 2*** I don't think we really need this anymore though?

Spelling: still deciding either through dictation exercises or R&S Spelling

History/Geography: ideas taken from What your 2nd grader needs to know

Science: Teaching Science Through the Year, Magic School Bus dvds

Writing/Grammar: Grammarland, Ruth Heller books

Logic Lollipop Logic: Beginner Analogies, Logic

Art: How to Teach Art to Children, ideas from What your 2nd grader needs to Know

Music: piano lessons

PE swim lessons

I should add we use our summers for things like Geography and Art

Looking at my last post, it does seem like a lot, but we still finish in 2 hours every day except for science and history. Since she has an older brother, we tag along with what he's doing in science and history usually but only because she's interested. If she's not one day, I don't push it. She also loves our art program and her music and PE classes. We have a pretty busy schedule most days but it fits our family.

Math-U-See Beta

First Language Lessons 2

Evan Moor Daily Language Review 2

All About Spelling 2

Writing with Ease 2

Handwriting Without Tears Cursive

BiblioPlan Ancients with older brothers

Elemental Science biology

Meet the Masters

piano lessons

LA: Lighting Literature 2nd grade ( freebie)

Mcruffy SE 2nd grade

Essential in Writing

Math: Mcruffy Color Math and CLE

Science and History : k12, CLP Nature readers, World Children's Encyclopedia (Usborne)

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Health: Horizons

Bible: Lifepacs

Jesus Calling daily devotional for kids

The Jesus Storybook Bible

Easy to Make Bible Crafts for kids

The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word

Been focusing a lot more on planning for my 4th grader....but here's what I think for my 2nd grader:

Finish OPGTR

AAS 1, then 2

Lots of reading

Writing projects like the ones in Bravewriter's Jot It Down

Follow along with big brother's US History and incorporate some of it into writing

Books and docs on earth science with a project at the end of the year

TT 3, then 4 for math....maybe start Beast at some point next year? (She's already a quarter of the way through TT3)

Either Spanish or Latin

Oh, and the MP Greek Alphabet (big brother wants to do this and she's been begging to do it too. We'll see if it lasts!)

I also have not doing enough syndrome after looking here but I think my bug will function quite well with this list.

My big girl will begin 2nd grade next fall and here are the main programs we *probably* will use:

BJU Bible 2, various devotionals, Kid's Bible

Singapore Math 4a/b, CWP, LoF K-M

BJU English and Spelling

BJU Heritage Studies 2, Maps, Globes and Charts

Science is the only ? right now

Readers, chapter books, read alouds, music, crafts, 4-H, PE

You should start slowly. Don't overwhelm yourself off the bat. Also, remind yourself while reading that second graders vary greatly in their interests and abilities so just because someone is doing three fourth grade math programs with their seven year old (a completely made up example) doesn't mean that should be a standard for yours.

I agree!

We live in NY and I have to tell the state I'm doing "something" for all of the subjects listed in my post, minus Spanish. The details involved will vary greatly and by where our interests take us. Our main goals for this year will still be to increase fluency in reading and writing, math, and piano.

At his age and the ages of my other kids (4, 2, baby), I also prioritize time spent outside. School will only be about 2 hours, plus read alouds.

I'm NOT in my first year ... or even first 2-3 years ... and a LOT of the "what we are doing/did for x grade" posts would totally overwhelm me and my boys!

That being said, neither I nor my boys are highly academic or even "normal" *grin*

My last little guy (a late bloomer who is still struggling to learn to read at 9!) will be about 2nd grade by fall .. hopefully anyway! I fully intend to school year round, but things always seem to happen .. (like moving in Dec!)

Here is my current plan :

Math - CLE 200/300 as we get to it , hes in 105 now :)

Reading - hopefully CLE 2 , presuming we get his troubles sorted

LA - also hopefully CLE 2

History - tagging along with the older - Biblioplan/MOH/SOTW

Science - hopefully back into Apologia, Botany is up next

and .. that is IT! ... I don't try to cover more then that at this level :)

As the PP said I try to get them OUTSIDE to play at least an hour or so most days ... depending on weather .. I also have a "rebounder" (mini trampoline) in the corner of the living room I use when they get too rowdy inside ;)

One thing I have learned reading on here .... homeschoolers are a varied lot! ... from those who unschool, to those who "do school" mostly like a classroom ... and of course all of us somewhere inbetween!

As long as your child is learning, growing, healthy and mostly happy I believe they are doing well, even if they are not doing work thats "levels" above/below where a child of their age would be in public school!!

Also, don't forget, that a lot of us are just continuing with what we are currently using so there's not much "planning", just moving on.

Ha, and at least in my case: my list is considered "best case scenario."

In other words, I say we'll try to do it all, but some things (like music or grammar) might get dropped when life happens...

My 2nd grader is my 3rd child. He gets the benefit of "Third time's a charm." (not to mention whatever books we have on hand instead of picking things just for him) Focus on consistency in the 3R's, and delightful learning in the content areas and you'll have a great year whatever materials you choose. Oh, and don't spend a ton of $$$ right off the bat. Buy math, start math....buy some LA materials and start those...meanwhile be good library patrons. It's definitely "learn as you go" starting off homeschooling. Save some steam (and $$$) for October when you have gained some insight into what HSing looks like in your home.

I'm going to take mine through Dancing Bears Fast Track. He's a good little reader, but this will reinforce/over-teach phonetic patterns.

Apples & Pears Spelling (We have this on hand...otherwise I would probably pick something less intensive. He likes the lessons.)

MEP math. Plus, LOF as desired.

Copywork and Oral Narration from literature.

SOTW 3

Earth Science (Voskamp's Geography I and several Delta Nutshell kits...and various living books)

He will spend plenty of time outside, playing legos, drawing, and making a mess with various art supplies.

We are finishing up 2nd grade next month.

Singapore Math 2A/2B, Life of Fred Elementary series (fun supplement)

Daily Grammar Practice 2, McGuffey's 2nd Reader (1st half), Teach Me Joy's Cursive, narrations using various Aesop's fables, studied dictation, copywork

Bible, World History loosely following Preparing Hearts, Home Art Studio Grade 3, interest led Science

We're year-round homeschoolers so some things are already in the mix.

Math: finish A BEKA ARITHMETIC 1 and maybe start on A BEKA ARITHMETIC 2 or CLE MATH 200 Series but either way, I'm adding in Living Math. :willy_nilly:

Phonics/Language Arts: LLATL Red Book

Copywork: An Elegant Floral Alphabet by LightHome Publications (1st term) and A-Z Crawly Critters Cursive Penmanship by LightHome Publications (2nd Term)

History/Geography: Finish Expedition Earth by Confessions of a Homeschooler. We've only started it 4 weeks ago!!

Science: NOEO Biology: Level 1

Art: Our own mix of art books like: Discovering Artists, Usborne Art Treasury and Drawing with Children or may use Harmony Fine Arts Grade 1 instead.

Bible: Foundations 1 Bible Study

PLUS Read-alouds from our library

When we are bored with the above: FIAR Volume 4 -might only use one book every 6-8 weeks

ETA: I hadn't decided my science or bible picks when I first wrote this post. I also updated my math, art and copywork picks. AGAIN!

The basics:

Math: Beast Academy, Math Mammoth, Life of Fred

Language Arts: MCT Island Level, Writing With Ease, A Beka cursive handwriting

Science: Mr. Q Chemistry, Ellen McHenry The Elements, maybe The Brain

History: Story of the World 2, Famous Men of the Middle Ages

We'll try to do a little math, science and geography in French, as well as continuing lots of reading and some WWE-style writing.

Bible

Math - leaning towards BJU 2

LA - FLL, PAL Writing, AAS 2/3, books

History - TOG Year 3

Science - finish human body lapbook then biology or chemistry with older sister

Spanish - Homeschool Spanish Academy

Piano, Gymnastics, AHG

You definitely need some knowledge of IEW's methodology. I'm new to it myself, so I am doing the "training" via the TWSS DVDs. I'm staying one unit ahead of where we are in Bible Heroes. I have a three month old though, so I can't put as much time in as I'd like right now!

so what do the dvds teach you? what do you -- as teacher -- have to learn. can you give me examples?

Reading/LA/Spelling-BJU

Readalouds-Sonlight/McGuffey

Writing-finish WWE 1, start 2

Math-Horizons 2

Bible-Family Bible Library

Science-Apologia Zoology 2

History-Biblioplan Ancients

Character-Lessons in Responsibility for Boys/We Choose Virtues

Health-Abeka

Foreign language-Rossetta Stone Spanish

Typing-Mavis Beacon

PE-local HS group

Piano lessons

Flag football and tennis

Zoo class

so what do the dvds teach you? what do you -- as teacher -- have to learn. can you give me examples?

The DVDs teach you, the parent, how to present and evaluate the nine units (the structure) and the "dress-ups" (what IEW calls elements of style). The DVDs can be used to teach students at all levels, the expectations and output are adjusted based on age and experience, obviously.

Bible Heroes specifically covers six units: key word outlining, writing from KWO, summarizing narrative stories, summarizing references, writing from pictures, and creative writing.

I can't give you extensive examples since I'm so new to IEW and learning as I go...just keeping one unit ahead of DS! So far, though, it has been very easy to teach. I am glad I'm watching the DVDs to get a thorough picture of IEW's method. I think, though, that it might be possible at this level to effectively use it without the full training if you have some familiarity with the program.

Anyway, we have done unit 1 so far, moving to unit 2 this week. For unit one we read and outlined two short paragraphs and DS retold them to me using the outline he created. For "style," he learned about adjectives and we played a game based on Noah's ark and helped the "MASSIVE, GRAY elephants (leaping kangaroos, etc.) march into the ark."

The next unit is re-writing from the outlines.

You might want to start a new thread or do a search for more information on teaching IEW, but I hope that helps a little!

I am not completely decided on our LA for next year. It's actually making me a little crazy I think... :closedeyes: But here's my most current plan:

Math: MUS Beta

Science: Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space (co-op class)

History: The Mommy Writer's Early American (this is my own and available on my blog linked in siggy if you are interested)

LA: Draw. Write. Now for writing and copywork; Homeschoolshare units on historical fiction to go with our History plans for literature; Vocab cartoon of the day to improve her vocab skills; Grammarland free audio with some free Daily Grammar sheets here and there; WRTR for spelling, phonics work, and handwriting

Art: Adventures in Art

Music: Composers from AO list with free library books and youtube

PE: gym class at co-op, swimming in the summer, biking and running and playing and scootering (not a real word!) the rest of the year

Health: We may do the Body Book if we can get to it as it would be fun for her; fire safety at the library

My upcoming 2nd grade boy will be doing this.

Religion - 1st Communion catechism, Religion 2 FYC, Blue Knights (at co-op)

Math- Ray's Arthimetic

LA- FLL,copywork, finishing phonics

Science- Catholic Schoolhouse ( at co-op)

Art- Catholic Schoolhouse (at co-op)

History- RC History Ancients ( very lightly, as he's interested)

Nature Study- Patterns of Nature by Rod & Staff,lot's of time outside as he is all BOY

here is mine -- i am not sure -- this is "as of now" and some subjects have not been filled in

BIG BROTHER (2nd grade)

PHONICS

· Beyond the Code Book 1: Comprehension and Reasoning Skills http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Code-Book-Comprehension-Reasoning/dp/0838824013/ref=pd_sim_b_13

READING

• Leveled readers by ability; working towards independent reading.

COMPOSITION / PENMANSHIP:

GRAMMAR:

LOGIC

MATH

SPELLING

TOGETHER (2nd grade and Kindy brother following along)

MEMORY WORK:

• Historically relevant pieces as wells as prays and creeds of faith
  • Bible Verses (weekly)
  • Biblical Character traits: definition and examples

LITERATURE:

• Family read aloud and audio books.

CHARACTER:

• aspect of memory work, Bible and writing

BIBLE

SCIENCE

AMERICAN HISTORY / SOCIAL STUDIES

WORLD HISTORY

GEOGRAPHY

ART

• 4 weeks later...

My main focus for DD's second grade year is to get her reading well. We only started on AAR level 1 about mid-way through her first grade year (after a waldorf-style letter study in the first half of the year) and it's been pretty slow going for her. She is making steady progress, though, even though she is "behind". So, with that said, here are our 2nd grade plans:

Math: MEP 1B/2A + some Miquon/RS games when needed

Phonics/Spelling: AAR 2, AAS 1, ECT (as needed for review/reinforcement)

Writing: Copywork/Narrations

All other work will be done with her 4th grade and preschool age brothers:

Morning Basket (as a family) including Bible (Vos's Story Bible, Children's Illustrated Bible and the Jesus Storybook Bible), memory work (Living Memory), art (picture study and bi-weekly projects), music (CDs from library and Story of the Orchestra) and poetry (Favorite Poems Old and New). Plus a read aloud from the list below.

Grammar: The Sentence Family

History: Rome/Middle Ages using CHOW, OIS, Baldwin's Famous Stories, Viking Tales and various other library/picture books

Geography: Map Trek for historical maps and A Child's Introduction to the World/The Geography Book/Children Just Like Me/Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia/etc. for World Geography

Science: The Nature Connection and animal habitats (Living World Encyclopedia and Easy Make and Learn Projects)

Literature (read-alouds): Wind in the Willows, Understood Betsy, Little House books (first three scheduled), The Princess and the Goblin, D'Aulaire's Norse Myths, Golden Tales from the Arabian Nights, King Arthur: Tales from the Round Table, Door in the Wall and Pyle's Robin Hood

PE: Weekly homeschool gym class and weekly ballet class

I'll join in.

Originally, I was doing most of the MP 2 course but all the R&S was too much for us. We don't do Latin so I was having the boys using R&S Eng 2 along with the snail's pace R&S Math 2 and the too easy R&S Spell 2 and the busywork SRA Phonics 3...AGGGGGG!!!! It had to go.

We started BJU Distance Learning full 2nd grade DVD school on 3 June. It has had a lot of tweaking/dropping as we tried things out. I am trying to blend what I love about MP while dropping what I don't love.

Math: BJU Math 2 {why oh why did I not buy these DVDs earlier? I'll never teach a math lesson again! Worth. Every.Penny!}

Grammar: BJU Eng 2 {DL DVD-skipping the writing chapters.} Since we will now finish this early, I am planning on moving to FLL 2 after.

Writing: WWE 2 {just started yesterday. BJU writing did not go over well with any of us.}

Spelling: BJU 2nd edition Spelling

Lit: MP Lit 2 plus reading lots of books

Science: BJU Science 2 {because it came in the box. The kids love it but it only lasts ~15 weeks or so. Not sure what we will do after it ends.}

I want art and music to follow/tie into history so I am waiting on doing anything formal until I can decide what to do for those.

Here is what my DS is using for 2nd:

HOD Bigger

SM 2a/2b/3a (he is flying through SM - he is a math junkie!)

R&S Phonics (he needs help in this area)

R&S Grammar 2

R&S Spelling 3

HOD DITHOR (Reading Program)

Zaner-Bloser Cursive

Geography & Map Work using The Complete Maps and Geography, will also follow along as his sister does her study of the states

Bible: BSGFAA and probably some Kay Arthur studies

Character: We Choose Virtues

Math: RS C with some MM for review

Spelling: Phonics Road 2

Writing: WWE 2

Handwriting: Pentime

Think we might do FLL 2 because she liked level 1.

I also drool over the Bible Heroes from IEW.

History: SOTW 2 with TOG books

Geography: Trail Guide to US Geography

Science: Nancy Larson 2 and we'll read Apologia Flying Creatures.

Art: Atelier level 2 and See the Light Bible DVDs.

Music: piano and violin lessons

Logic: Logic Safari and Connections Intro (Prufrock stuff)

Language: SS Spanish and maybe GEtting Started with Spanish

And our mom created read aloud/reader list and we'll read some poetry books. :)

Math: Math Mammoth and Life of Fred

Bible: Firmly Planted studies from Heidi St. John

History: TruthQuest History American History I

Science: We are doing Earth Science and I am piecing together with library books and various stuff

LA: No freaking clue. Jot it Down for Writing projects.

Geography: Galloping the Globe

Various extras: Several books from the Critical Thinking Company, random unit studies that DS chooses

I am definitely not the over achiever Mom. :/ This is my list of things I hope to get done this year! Not as much as some, but I'm okay with that. :)

Math u See Beta

Voyages in English 2

Writing with Ease 1

BJU reading 2

ACSI Purposeful Design Spelling 2

My Fathers World - for history, science, and art.

I can say what we "plan" to do, because I am never on the same start/stop line as most of WTM. So ours would be for 2014.

Second Grade:

Phonics/Spelling/Handwriting: Finish Logic of English Foundations (if not finished), move to LOE- Essentials (+ Rummy Roots & Possibly Roots & Fruits)

Writing: Bravewriter, Jot It Down, Living Books, RL Stevenson,

Grammar: Living Books

Math: Math on the Level, Living Math through History, Verbal Math Lessons, Mathstart Books, Kitchen Table Math, Primary Grade Challenge Math,

Geography/Cartography: Me on the Map, Maps & Graphs, Legends & Leagues

Art: Discovering Great Artists, Great American Artists for Kids, Green & Pink Mamas Art Ebooks,

Science: Lentil Science (Tops), Some commercial fun science kits & toys, Our Animal Friends (Nature Study), Living/Experiment Books, Private Eye, Let's Read and Find Out Science

Social Studies (Aus): Succeeding in Social Studies 2.

Religious/Faith: Living Books

Other Literature, Unit Studies & Bits: Possibly Prarie Primer + Extras, a couple of Konos Topics, Tentatively thinking about Connect the Thoughts, Etiquette for Beginners, Finish Pearables (if not finished), Midsummer Nights Dream Unit, Dr Suess Learning Library, How to become an Entrepeneurial Kid set, possibly a singing course (still undecided).

History is covered through unit studies & math. Most of my choices are living books or resources rather than curricula, as I prefer to build my own stuff round that. I've only just started getting ready to purchase for next year, so my list isn't final yet, I still have to do some more researching and get some more samples. Everything is pretty locked in except for the "other" category, which I am still working on, and a lot of those resources will be used with all of the kids, not just my second grader, my 2nd grader just gets a couple of extra things to "ramp it up" for her. She is also projects-based, so a lot of her work is around that, and I just order stuff for school-time and what she has requested for her projects.

I have been working so hard on my 5th graders plans, that I forgot to add to this thread.

My 6-soon-to-be-7yo DD is very wiggly, so the lessons will be short. She loves math, did SM 2A and 2B in four months :faint: so I have no idea what next year will bring.

She can read very well, but doesn't like to read. I'm hoping she will start to enjoy it more. I'm seeing a small interest in books about horses develop, so I'm going to keep her well provided with all the typical girl-with-horse-books. Sure, it's mostly twaddle, but I don't care :D.

Dutch: Dutch LA 3th grade, copywork (cursive), narration

English: English-for-Dutch students curriculum

Math: SM 3A + 3B, CWP3, Visual Math amd various logic worksheets

Religion: schoolcatechism, Licht op ons pad, First Communion prep

Science: reading library books (15min a day), Attenborough DVDs

History: Dutch history read aloud + narration

Geography: Dutch geography 3th grade

Art: BCP Art Curriculum

Music: recorder, How to Introduce Your Child to Classical Music

PE: gymnastics

Extra: Theater class